PDA

View Full Version : Spoke With Kaminari Today

DC Turismo
06-13-2007, 05:18 PM
I called Kaminari to order a repro front air dam for my new 89 CSX and while talking to the guy taking my order it just so happened he was one of the head hanchos there. I asked about the reproduction of the side skirts that are currently not being reman'd and he said that they would do it but there's not that much interest in them. Lone and behold, however, I mentioned this site to him and said there may be a number of users on this site alone who would be able to make the process of creating a mold worthwhile. More importantly, there are a bunch of users here who I have seen looking for side skirts specifically over the years. I, for one, told him I would like a different pair of them if they were available, and asked that he check this site out and perhaps even start a thread to gain interest in a project of that magnitude. So, just a heads up, be ready to respond if you do see a post such as that sprout up anywhere!!! :thumb:

devlish
06-13-2007, 05:51 PM
FWD has a repro grill.. maybe she has the front air dam laying around too? good luck with kamanari otherwise.

BadAssPerformance
06-13-2007, 06:07 PM
Kickass Billy! :thumb:

overlordsshadow
06-13-2007, 06:16 PM
I would like one of those spoilers but thats a nice chunk of change for no performance gain. Sure would look sharp on my Shadow though I think

CoolV300C
06-13-2007, 06:23 PM
The fronts are available now. he is talking about making the side skirts which are no longer available. I started a thread a few months ago to gauge interest in getting sides and the back done, no one was interested in the sides, but the back did get some interest. Polybushings is in the process of making rears now, but i never got enough people for the sides.

cordes
06-13-2007, 07:17 PM
That would be cool if we could get the whole body kit that looked just like the OEM pieces again. Heck I would even consider pimping out my shadow with that some day should it be reasonably priced.

Frank
06-13-2007, 07:53 PM
Start a group buy thread in that section and get him to respond on the link.

Frank

rbryant
06-13-2007, 09:40 PM
I wonder if he could make an 87 GLHS lower spoiler that integrates the fender extensions so that they are only one piece... Everyone hates those things and the 2 piece design looks sloppy compared to modern cars.

DC Turismo
06-14-2007, 12:05 AM
I will be speakign with him later in the week in regards to my order and I'll mention to him that I'll be doing that. Thanks Frank!

I doubt they'll do the GLHS lower gfx. We should still be lucky they're doing the 'Shadow' front air dam and spoiler.

badandy
07-18-2007, 03:09 PM
The whole kit would be killer sweet. I'd love the color combo of the CSX-T with the 89 CSX body kit.

Dusty_Duster
07-18-2007, 04:13 PM
I would be very interested in the ENTIRE kit for the Shadow/Sundance.

I'm talking front, sides, rear, and spoiler.

DC Turismo
07-18-2007, 04:25 PM
Well, I do have to call them back because they didn't include the hardware to mount my lower front GFX.

I just called Kaminari to get my hardware on the way, and talked to a gentleman who seemed very interested in reproducing these for us. He is going to talk to Pete (the owner of the company) and call me back to let me know if it is a task they would like to attack. If it is, then I or probably the gentleman who I spoke to on the phone will be making a thread in the group buy section in order to see how much interest is out there for these parts. I told him that many of us enthusiasts are wanting to restore the 89 CSX-VNT's, and since the sideskirts/door cladding and rear bumpers are no longer reproduced (I did not mention Johnny's), nor are used sets easy to come by, many of us are being hindered in our efforts to do so.

So, let's keep a lookout and if this is something you are interested in purusing just like me, then BE SURE to speak your $.02 when that thread opens up if they choose to do so :thumb: :thumb:

To refresh, currently they only reproduce the original spoiler as well as the front ground effect (IT DOES NOT HAVE THE DUCTS ON IT EVEN THOUGH THE PICTURES ON THE SITE SHOW THAT IT DOES). I just discovered that the items they sell are covered by a lifetime warranty, so that makes it very comforting to know that this company is backing up their products in order to take care of the c ustomer if something were to happen.

Their phone number is (775) 351-2240 if you would like to call them if nothing comes up about this in the very near future.

badandy
07-18-2007, 04:57 PM
One day there will be VERY limited numbered cars and we will have to build replicars....somebody will have to make the bodywork to do so and will be the ONLY vendor....that would seem beneficial to me in the long run.

I didn't know they make the wing?....Hmmmm:thumb:

rich tideswell
07-18-2007, 05:03 PM
are they planning on making OEM urathane reproductions or are the going to be fiberglass?

I feel Urathane would be best and true to the orignals..... if they make urathane i might just have to start looking for a clean Arizona P-body :eyebrows:

rich tideswell
07-18-2007, 05:05 PM
Pete (the owner of the company) .

how about his email so we can get him directly

DC Turismo
07-18-2007, 10:45 PM
The front air dam which I received just a few weeks back is fiberglass. But as I said, they're backed with a lifetime warranty. Although they may not be exact to the original (urethane), they look exactly how they should. At least the front air dam and spoiler molds were able to be salvaged from the fire that took out many of their products years back.

It would be beneficial for them to reproduce these molds because not only would there be a market in the very near future to begin restoring the 89 CSX's, but these GFX could be used on all 2-door P-bodys! There are many people who own just plain Shadows and Sundances looking to dress up their cars. Look at Legendary and the other companies redoing even armrests for E-body and B-body cars nowadays! Everyone and their mother buys them. We have to show the company, however, that interest is there for these, and that's why if they come through with developing a thread here, then members of the site need to speak up.

And sorry, I do not have his email, but when they call me back I will try and get it. If anything, I'm sure there is an email on their site www.kaminari.com (scroll down and go to the Contact Us link).

moparfwdsleeper
07-18-2007, 10:58 PM
I may have to buy a 89-91 turbo shadow after all

87glhs232
07-19-2007, 12:32 AM
If this becomes reality I may just have to build a repli-car.

rich tideswell
07-19-2007, 08:38 AM
If this becomes reality I may just have to build a repli-car.

Thats what I plan on doing. P-body + 1989 CSX Kit + SRT-4 powertrain = :D

Would be really sweet if we could get them to make the kit in urathane like the OEM

ShelbyMotorsports
07-19-2007, 12:08 PM
At least the front air dam and spoiler molds were able to be salvaged from the fire that took out many of their products years back.

Thats not what happened. There was never a 1989 CSX fiberglass spoiler mold. There was a P body fiberglass mold with NACA ducts that was lost in a fire several years back.

Once that NACA duct mold was lost Kaminari had no way to supply any front spoilers so with a little prodding from me and a Utah member Kaminari agreed to make a new mold using a oem 1989 CSX spoiler loaned to them by the Utah member.

This is why their website shows the NACA photo (because that is what they were selling pre-fire) and why when you order one now you get one that mimics the CSX spoiler (post fire).

Dusty_Duster
07-19-2007, 12:57 PM
It would be beneficial for them to reproduce these molds because not only would there be a market in the very near future to begin restoring the 89 CSX's, but these GFX could be used on all 2-door P-bodys! There are many people who own just plain Shadows and Sundances looking to dress up their cars. ...

Yep, that's why I want it. I have a '93 Plymouth Duster (with a turbo motor from an '88), and I would love to have the CSX ground effects, along with that sweet spoiler.

DC Turismo
07-19-2007, 02:26 PM
Thats not what happened. There was never a 1989 CSX fiberglass spoiler mold. There was a P body fiberglass mold with NACA ducts that was lost in a fire several years back.

Once that NACA duct mold was lost Kaminari had no way to supply any front spoilers so with a little prodding from me and a Utah member Kaminari agreed to make a new mold using a oem 1989 CSX spoiler loaned to them by the Utah member.

This is why their website shows the NACA photo (because that is what they were selling pre-fire) and why when you order one now you get one that mimics the CSX spoiler (post fire).

Sorry Steve, thank you for the efforts you made then for getting these fronts produced.

Haven't heard back from them yet today. I'm not sure how long I should expect until they call back :thumb:

ShelbyMotorsports
07-19-2007, 03:20 PM
Sorry Steve, thank you for the efforts you made then for getting these fronts produced.

Haven't heard back from them yet today. I'm not sure how long I should expect until they call back :thumb:

No problem just trying to keep the confusion down to a minimum.

Years ago we tracked down the original injection molds and the conclusion was it was financially impossible to have more factory original spoilers made. Basically it would take over 500 pre-paid orders to justify the machine set-up time and we know that there is no way that could happen. I'm also confident that the molds have been scrapped/recycled by now.

Mopar_Nutz
07-19-2007, 03:25 PM
I wonder if he could make an 87 GLHS lower spoiler that integrates the fender extensions so that they are only one piece... Everyone hates those things and the 2 piece design looks sloppy compared to modern cars.

Wow thats a brilliant idea! I think I'm gonna get mine plastic welded together now! Make it all nice and smooth and continuous. You're a genious! Sorry for the off topic :bump2:

rbryant
07-19-2007, 03:28 PM
I will be speakign with him later in the week in regards to my order and I'll mention to him that I'll be doing that. Thanks Frank!

I doubt they'll do the GLHS lower gfx. We should still be lucky they're doing the 'Shadow' front air dam and spoiler.

Nah we shouldn't be lucky. It is as simple as them making a decision as to whether or not it will be profitable for them... Capitalism almost always controls products that are made!

There are more 87 GLHS cars and SCs than there are 89 CSXs by far.

How hard was it to convince him to make them? A one piece shelby charger front end shouldn't be any harder to make...

-Rich

DC Turismo
07-19-2007, 03:34 PM
I'll mention it to him for you guys. I see the positive points in it, too. But the current ordeal at hand is trying to get them to remake parts they once did, in comparison to coming up with a new product altogether. I'll check into it though, I promise! Again though, it'll all depend on A) if they consider it and B) the amount of interest shown.

rbryant
07-19-2007, 03:41 PM
I'll mention it to him for you guys. I see the positive points in it, too. But the current ordeal at hand is trying to get them to remake parts they once did, in comparison to coming up with a new product altogether. I'll check into it though, I promise! Again though, it'll all depend on A) if they consider it and B) the amount of interest shown.

Thanks man!

-Rich

skunkwork
07-20-2007, 07:36 PM
Try talking them into making a fiberglass hood for the p-bodies!!!!! I`ll give them a hood to make a mold from!!

moparfwdsleeper
07-20-2007, 07:40 PM
Im thinking 89-91 Shadow + TIII Drivetrain + 89 CSX Body Kit

moparfwdsleeper
07-20-2007, 07:41 PM
Try talking them into making a fiberglass hood for the p-bodies!!!!! I`ll give them a hood to make a mold from!!

+1 on that for all years:D

One with the bulge(sp?) and one without. I would want one on an 89+ but dont care to much for it on my 88

87ShelbyZ
07-30-2007, 02:19 PM
Maybe get the Yellow bird CSX hood done... That would look the best....

BadAssPerformance
07-30-2007, 10:26 PM
Maybe get the Yellow bird CSX hood done... That would look the best....

You get me a DC P-body scoop, I'll have the hoods made pronto :thumb:

cordes
07-30-2007, 10:45 PM

Are you going to make those after the time of work and fabing 2.4 parts and posting that you used to call sleep? ;) You are a busy guy these days, and I am impressed.

BadAssPerformance
07-30-2007, 10:47 PM
LOL... 4 hours is enuff sleep ;)

Actually I have a couple places to outsource the fiberclass/CF work too. :thumb:

Turbodave
07-30-2007, 10:47 PM

While a Billet hood would look cool, I think it would be kind of heavy.

BadAssPerformance
07-30-2007, 10:48 PM
LOL... damn thats a good one ;)

cordes
07-30-2007, 10:49 PM
While a Billet hood would look cool, I think it would be kind of heavy.

I seriously laughed out loud on that one.

DC Turismo
07-31-2007, 12:58 AM
Never did hear from them at this point, nor did I receive the promised mounting hardware.... looks like another phone call needs to be made in a day or two.

A P-body scoop would be sooooooo neat! Did they ever offer those in the catalogs back in the day or was that strictly prototypical?

87ShelbyZ
07-31-2007, 03:21 PM
Does anyone even know what hood i am talking about or even the car? I would love to have a shadow that looked like that yellow or not... That is beautiful. Black with silver would look great 2, so does anyone have some pictures of that car i can download to my phone?

DC Turismo
07-31-2007, 03:29 PM
I know what car you're talking about and have a pic. of it banking a turn real hard that I'll dig up for you from my other PC.

87ShelbyZ
07-31-2007, 05:25 PM
Thanx, And I saw a few pics somewhere with a bunch of other concept TD's I forgot where tho. And it had like 3 pics of the Yellow Bird that was an awesome car.

skunkwork
07-31-2007, 07:51 PM
I don`t care if it has a bulge, scoop, flat...whatever...I just want a lightweight `glass hood for my drag car!!!..those steel hoods are HEAVY!!! Whatever happened to the yellow DC shadow anyway...LUVED that car

Directconnection
07-31-2007, 07:57 PM
I don`t care if it has a bulge, scoop, flat...whatever...I just want a lightweight `glass hood for my drag car!!!..those steel hoods are HEAVY!!! Whatever happened to the yellow DC shadow anyway...LUVED that car

Our hoods are not heavy at all. Modern cars have a much thinner gauge of steel used than cars from the 60's where a fiberglass hood or fenders really helps.

cordes
07-31-2007, 08:26 PM
Our hoods are not heavy at all. Modern cars have a much thinner gauge of steel used than cars from the 60's where a fiberglass hood or fenders really helps.

+1. not only that, but the weight is where you want it.

Turbodave
07-31-2007, 08:46 PM

:amen: When I swapped engines in my 74 Charger it took two of us to lift that heavy hood off the car. I can usually hold a fwd mopar hood up with one hand while I bolt it on with the other.

skunkwork
07-31-2007, 10:00 PM
Not to get this thread off track, but I work in a body shop an take hoods off an on cars an trucks on a daily basis......granted the hoods are a little lighter on todays cars than TD`s but not buy alot. I just want a light weight hood for my drag shadow....GEEESH!!!!

cordes
07-31-2007, 11:10 PM
Not to get this thread off track, but I work in a body shop an take hoods off an on cars an trucks on a daily basis......granted the hoods are a little lighter on todays cars than TD`s but not buy alot. I just want a light weight hood for my drag shadow....GEEESH!!!!

Nothing wrong with that. We just happen to be the biggest bunch of pragmatists in town is all.

John B
08-01-2007, 05:57 AM
Make a mold from your hood and do it in fiberglass.

Dusty_Duster
08-01-2007, 10:20 AM
Any luck getting Kaminari to even consider making the Shelby GFX again?

DC Turismo
08-01-2007, 11:49 AM
Have not heard from them yet. I will be calling them by the end of the week.

87ShelbyZ
08-09-2007, 04:39 PM
???? Bumpity

DC Turismo
08-10-2007, 04:24 PM
Just got off of the phone with the main guy who takes the calls. His name is Andy, and he told me he has forwarded the information ahead to the owner of Kaminari in terms of the interest level of reproducing the 89 CSX GFX package (sides and rear). He is awaiting a response as the owner is backed up currently with the SEMA event.

In the meantime, I asked for an email address in which I could get everyone to send their suggestions and show of interest towards remaking these products, and perhaps suggesting the producing of SC front GFX as a one piece deal. Please email suggestions and what not to andy@kaminari.com . Be sure to mention you're from this message forum and even my name to him if you need to, he should know it by now after all these calls lol... along with the fact that we're looking for them, as a reputable company who worked with Shelby on the CSX-VNT project, to come back to this genre of vehicles to assist its hobbyists in the restoring of their prominence appearance wise. In addition, mention that there is a section for Group Buys on this forum, and if they create an ID they can begin a thread to further gain interest and explain the outlook on things to come.

Dusty_Duster
08-13-2007, 09:29 AM
Email sent! :D

DC Turismo
08-19-2007, 03:46 PM
Well, still have yet to receive my mounting hardware for my front air dam, even though they promised twice to have sent it out. Ugh.

87ShelbyZ
08-22-2007, 10:13 PM
Bump to the top again

85shelbycharger
09-01-2007, 01:42 PM
Billy did get his mounting hardware on the 23rd... 4 whole screws, wow.

87ShelbyZ
12-11-2007, 08:38 PM
Bump any Updates?

And I think a good idea is to get a list of people who would be interested in the 89 GFX and call them and say here is a list of 20 people who have the money and want these parts. They would seem alot more likely to do something about producing the stuff instead of a call here and there....

DC Turismo
12-11-2007, 09:29 PM
I'm no longer pursuing it. I tried a number of times during the course of the summer there, but they didn't seem to keen on getting back to me on it. You can try if you'd like, but I really do not see anything ever coming out of it.

Dusty_Duster
01-18-2008, 12:28 PM
Yeah, I sent them an email a while ago and got no response. What a bunch of @$$holes.

87ShelbyZ
03-04-2008, 05:21 PM
??? any updates

DC Turismo
03-04-2008, 05:45 PM
Unless you have been writing them, I don't think so, as I have not and do not plan to.

bluneon
03-05-2008, 12:21 AM
i emailed them asking about how to mount the repro csx front air damn twice and neither had any responses. so i'm guessing they're asshats or just don't have any ideas on how...lol

87ShelbyZ
03-31-2008, 02:35 PM
Bumpage ,maybe we can have someone with good writing skills put something on paper and we all sign it... that way they get the samep response and makes it much easier for all of us?