PDA

View Full Version : Tools

Tony Hanna
02-01-2006, 02:16 AM
What tools do you guys consider essential for the home fab shop?
Here's my list.
welders
O/A Torch
air compressor
die grinder
angle grinder
drill
sawzall
assorted wheels, blades, bits, and welding rods/wire
tubing cutters
assorted hammers
tape measure
calipers
square
wrap-a-round
c-clamps
vise grips
bench vise
soapstone
paint markers
cardboard sheets for patterns/templates
that's all I can think of atm.

After I get moved into the new place, I plan to add a hi-frequency TIG welder, plasma cutter, and tubing bender to that list. Oh, and I'd give my left stone for a pattern torch, but I'll never have a big enough place to set one up.

Clay
02-01-2006, 03:48 AM
pattern torch, is that the same thing as a track torch?

clay

Tony Hanna
02-01-2006, 04:05 AM
Similar, but where a track torch just follows a straight line (track), a pattern torch has an optical sensor that will follow a pattern on a piece of paper and cut the same pattern out of the metal. It's a pretty expensive piece of equipment and all of them I have seen have been on a large scale, but who knows, maybe something will come out suitable for the home shop eventually.

Clay
02-01-2006, 04:17 AM
Now that would be pretty sweet!!

I bought my two ultimate tools before I got married. Millermatic 210, and a Hypertherm Powermax 600 :)

clay

Tony Hanna
02-01-2006, 05:39 AM
I'm going to have to upgrade my welder soon. I'd like to get something like one of the Linclon Ranger series so it's portable and just get a wire feeder and a high frequency box so I can stick, tig, and mig with one machine.
That will definately happen. The tubing bender and plas cutter may just be wishful thinking unless the prices really drop or I can find them used.

supercrackerbox
02-01-2006, 10:28 AM
So far I've managed to fab everything I've needed with a bench vise, a hacksaw, a drill, a tubing cutter, and a couple of hammers. Aside from two welding jobs which I sourced out.

ShelGame
02-01-2006, 12:15 PM
Drill press and belt sander are must-haves for me. Unfortunately, I have to go to work to use them. I don't have either in my shop at home (yet).

Stevien1
02-01-2006, 10:03 PM
Zip ties and JB Weld are essential to any fabrication job I do.

;)

-Chuck James

Tony Hanna
02-02-2006, 03:11 AM
Drill press and belt sander are must-haves for me. Unfortunately, I have to go to work to use them. I don't have either in my shop at home (yet).

Drill press is a good one.:thumb:
I really should quit making excuses and grab one. Last I saw, Harbor Freight had some nice deals.

Clay
02-02-2006, 10:34 AM
we almost should look at the list in stages, like the most basic tools you need are A, B, and C. After that you need X, Y, Z. etc etc.

I mean, I bought a good plasma cutter and a welder, but I also had all the other stuff to compliment them.

but if a guy were to buy a welder, and not own a grinder, or a plasma cutter, and not even own an air compressor....... he would be SOL.

clay

shadow88
02-02-2006, 09:34 PM
Zip ties and JB Weld are essential to any fabrication job I do.

;)

-Chuck James

Add silicone and duct tape for mine.:thumb:

cordes
02-02-2006, 11:22 PM
+1 for the angle grinder. As one might be able to tell from looking at my site, that is my main fab tool. Although my 3lb. dead blow hammer comes in a close second.

I too look forward to the time when I get my own place which I will be staying in for a while. A welder, plasma torch, and big air compressor will be a must.

87glhs232
02-03-2006, 12:33 AM
Similar, but where a track torch just follows a straight line (track), a pattern torch has an optical sensor that will follow a pattern on a piece of paper and cut the same pattern out of the metal. It's a pretty expensive piece of equipment and all of them I have seen have been on a large scale, but who knows, maybe something will come out suitable for the home shop eventually.
Another variation of the optical pattern style is one that has a rotating knurled metal spindel (about 3/16" diameter) that is magnetized. You mock up a part in sheet metal, then mount the part on the machine. Swing the cutting head over the edge of the material, start the cut and move the head over to the sheet metal part template, blamo...the spindel follows the template, thus cutting the part. See my rough diagram.

jre97
02-04-2006, 06:03 PM
How about a metal brake, angle finder, pipe bender, lift, and a sand blasting cabinet? Let me know when you get them and I'll be doing all my projects at your house again.:lol: Not all patern torches are huge, we have a small one at work that uses alittle knurled wheel to follow a pattern and it's about the perfect size to use in a garage. Knowing my scrooge like boss it didn't cost a whole lot either, I think around $200 less hoses and regulators. We also have a nice plasma head that will fit into it and the track torch buggy.

TopDollar69
02-05-2006, 01:07 PM
A nice parts washer can come in handy, if your fabing on some existing parts.

Jayar
02-24-2006, 12:43 AM
i just got a small blast cabinet and love it. on sale at harbor freight for 80 bucks.

Ground Rat
02-24-2006, 11:04 AM
but if a guy were to buy a welder, and not own a grinder, or a plasma cutter, and not even own an air compressor....... he would be SOL.

I have a Millermatic DVI and no bench vise. :lol:

Lee'sdaytona
02-24-2006, 05:02 PM
Drill press is a good one.:thumb:
I really should quit making excuses and grab one. Last I saw, Harbor Freight had some nice deals.
Remember, you get what you pay for. I'm lucky enough to have my dad's woodshop at home to use which includes a Delta drill press from the 1920's. My dad put a different motor on it back in the early 70's...and that motor was probably pretty old at the time...still running. If I were you, I'd look in the local newspapers and even on craigslist.com for a good used drill press....Rockwell/Delta, powermatic, ....craftsman is ok if its an older modle....
-Lee

GLHSKEN
03-16-2006, 11:09 AM
K FOLKS

Looking to get the compressor in the next few weeks. I'm looking for recomendations on both the compressor and tools Which brand?? IR, CH, Husky?

LET me know your thoughts. compressor I am looking at a Husky- ought to add $429.

A solid CAST IRON, twin cylinder compressor pump for extreme durability. Offers 135 PSI maximum pressure and air delivery 11.7/10.3 SCFM @ 40/90 PSI. It also has a space saving vertical design that is perfect for your home garage or work shop. The compressor also includes an efficient Solberg style intake filter, pre-plumbed globe valve, pressure switch, and tank pressure gauge.

• Up to 5,000 hours of extended life
• A CAST IRON oil-lubricated pump with traditional design that is quieter and longer lasting
• 60 Gallon vertical, space saving tank design
• Powerful, 7.0-peak horsepower motor provides significant air to multiple power tools
• Automotive style changeable air filter
• Protective belt guard
• High quality oversized gauges
• 1070 Pump RPM
• Three-year limited warranty
• Over 35 percent quieter and 60 degrees cooler than aluminum pumps with cast iron sleeves

Clay
03-16-2006, 11:16 AM
Personally I would find a compressor that runs 10 CFM at 90 PSI. This will run most tools with no problem.

Do NOT buy a rotary/maintence free compressor, they are so loud they will drive you out of your garage!

DO buy a piston type compressor, preferably dual stage. I would try to find one that is rebuildable (they rebuild just like any old engine) that way if it goes bad you can rebuild the compressor portion and go again. The easiest way to tell if its rebuildable is to look at the cylinders and see if they come apart easily.

As for which brand, sure IR makes a great shop compressor that is available at most places (sears, tractor supply, etc) for $1000, but for half that you can buy a CH that will work just as well, if last for a LONG time.

clay

GLHSKEN
03-16-2006, 11:19 AM
So ch is a good name?? How about their air tools???

GLHSKEN
03-16-2006, 11:20 AM
Personally I would find a compressor that runs 10 CFM at 90 PSI. This will run most tools with no problem.

clay

Clay, the above is 10.3 @ 90psi Hmmm found one with 13.3cfm @ 90 for 499. Lowes, a Kobalt

JDAWG
03-16-2006, 01:03 PM
I got mine from sears. They usaully have open box specials. The guy told me alot of people buy them on credit card do one job then return them. They know they do this but they have to take them back. I dont really need an exspensive compressor cause I work at a shop. Actually I dont think I have used mine at home once since I bought it.

JDAWG
03-16-2006, 01:09 PM
I bought an air nailer that was CH and it was a peice of junk. That was a few years ago, maybe their quality has gotten better. I just dont like buying tools from wal-mart.

cordes
03-16-2006, 02:05 PM

IR air tools are the way to go IMO. We beat the snot out of them at work and they last for several years.

GLHSKEN
03-16-2006, 02:13 PM
Cool, Saw an IR 450ft lb impact/ 55 ft lb ratchet set for $139 at lowes

Clay
03-16-2006, 03:09 PM

never liked their tools, but never had any issues with their air compressors.

If money isn't an issue, I would buy all IR tools, and compressor!!

clay

GLHSKEN
03-16-2006, 03:12 PM
This is the dodge world clay, Money ALWAYS plays SOME factor ;) The Kobalt compressor rated at 13.3cfm @ 90psi seems good to go for $499

cordes
03-16-2006, 03:13 PM
This is the dodge world clay, Money ALWAYS plays SOME factor ;) The Kobalt compressor rated at 13.3cfm @ 90psi seems good to go for $499

That does seem like an excellent value. Is the warranty at all similar to an IR compressor?

Clay
03-16-2006, 03:17 PM

yup, the turbo dodge world! in the Hemi dodge world money is no object! :thumb:

supercrackerbox
03-16-2006, 04:28 PM
+1 on the CH tools not being worth the buy. They seem to wear out real quick, even with proper oiling. IR all the way. They're expensive, but dang if they aren't the best air tools you can buy.

Lee'sdaytona
03-16-2006, 10:02 PM
not sure about tools. We have had a small pancake compressor from Campbell Hausfeld since 1992. Rebuilt it once. Great little guy. Of course, its not a big enough tank (2 gallons I think) to run impact guns and such. We use it for our nail gun/and staple gun. We just bought a 17 gallon compressor (rebuildable) from Quincy. Don't know if its an off brand but its run good thus far.
Now I'm debating if I want to use PVC or not to run a line...Heard it can be dangerouns :eek:
-Lee

cordes
03-16-2006, 10:55 PM
not sure about tools. We have had a small pancake compressor from Campbell Hausfeld since 1992. Rebuilt it once. Great little guy. Of course, its not a big enough tank (2 gallons I think) to run impact guns and such. We use it for our nail gun/and staple gun. We just bought a 17 gallon compressor (rebuildable) from Quincy. Don't know if its an off brand but its run good thus far.
Now I'm debating if I want to use PVC or not to run a line...Heard it can be dangerouns :eek:
-Lee

There is no way I would use PVC to run a high pressure line like that. If anything find some air hose for cheap and run a long lenght of it. I know that costco has ~25ft. of hose on a reel from time to time.

GLHSKEN
03-17-2006, 07:49 AM
That does seem like an excellent value. Is the warranty at all similar to an IR compressor?

Noit sure on the warranty.. need to look it up..

86Shelby
03-17-2006, 09:40 AM
Quincy isn't a bad brand, at least for the heavier stuff. We use them on our tire service trucks and 2 huge units in the 10 bay shop. The main shop uses something different, but they have multiple 3/4" impacts, air jacks, sand blasters, tire machines, etc running off it all day.

I would either run a long pressure hose or use piping, not pvc. Many places use copper tube, like you'd find in your home for water. Double check with comp manufacturers and/or shops to make sure it's the same pipe before you buy.

GLHSKEN
03-17-2006, 10:08 AM
I'LL BE RUNNING TO A 50' retractable hose reel mounted in the garage. I'll have a second in case I want to use the tools in the basement. Down the road I'll more than likely plumb piping to the basement.

GLHSKEN
03-17-2006, 10:17 AM

Looked it up 3 year warranty on the pump... With as often as I'm working on something (9 cars) $166 per year (3 years) is worth the time savings even if it breaks after 3 years.

CletusJones
03-17-2006, 10:31 AM
Remember, you get what you pay for. I'm lucky enough to have my dad's woodshop at home to use which includes a Delta drill press from the 1920's. My dad put a different motor on it back in the early 70's...and that motor was probably pretty old at the time...still running. If I were you, I'd look in the local newspapers and even on craigslist.com for a good used drill press....Rockwell/Delta, powermatic, ....craftsman is ok if its an older modle....
-Lee
Since you're looking used already, why not pick up a bridgeport instead? You'll pay a little more but you'll be able to do just about anything with it.

Turbodave
03-17-2006, 10:31 AM
Ken that Kobalt compressor sounds pretty good. I'm looking for something similar myself since my current compressor can't keep up with my sandblast cabinet or DA very well.

I've got a buddy with his whole garage plumbed with PVC for air lines. It's been that way for a few years now through the heat of summer and cold of winter without any problems. However, when I go to plumb my garage I am going to stick with steel or copper tubing, the PVC just looks too fragile.

cordes
03-17-2006, 04:12 PM
Looked it up 3 year warranty on the pump... With as often as I'm working on something (9 cars) $166 per year (3 years) is worth the time savings even if it breaks after 3 years.

Agreed. When you do the math, it's a no brainer.

PUNKSLIP
03-18-2006, 03:37 AM
High frequency TIG welder running Argon, good chop saw, capable wire feed welder, bench vice, and basic hand tools for simple metal fabrication, 6 HP 60 gal. air compresor and basic paint and auto body tools, all the rest of my crap is at work.
Oh ya, beer.

John

GLHSKEN
03-18-2006, 09:22 AM
Well thanks.. I'm going with the Kobalt compressor from lowes and their IR impact/ratchet set for 139. I'm sure I'll need more on setting the thing up, so any accessories I should be sure to get, let me know.

Had the foresight to run a 220 line to the garage when I built the house!!!

Turbodave
03-18-2006, 12:57 PM
Ken, a moisture trap on the air line coming off the compressor isn't a bad idea. It's something you need if your painting, but air tools work better without water in them as well. If your only going to be using air tools, an inline oiler is a nice addition as well.

cordes
03-20-2006, 10:56 PM
Ken, a moisture trap on the air line coming off the compressor isn't a bad idea. It's something you need if your painting, but air tools work better without water in them as well. If your only going to be using air tools, an inline oiler is a nice addition as well.

Agreed. A misture seperator is a nice addition in the summer so that you don't get duched with water while you work.

87glhs232
03-21-2006, 12:54 AM
^Agreed. I've run two feeds, one with an oiler and one with a moisture sepataror. 10-11 @ 90psi works nicely. DA sanders and such will suck 10 plus cfm @ 90psi. Dual stage piston nearly a must for that much output.
I like my 60gal upright...though it's a chinese noname, it is rebuildable.
- 3.5 horsepower motor
- Air Delivery: 12.8 CFM @ 90 PSI, 14.5 CFM @ 40 PSI
- ASME tank with safety valve
- Cast iron cylinder
- Stainless steel valves
- Automatic stop/start controls

Ground Rat
03-21-2006, 03:02 AM
I just bought a nice set of spring compressors for $35. I figured I've had to rent/borrow them often enough I might as well buy a set.

cellar dweller
03-21-2006, 12:41 PM
Moisture seperator at the compressor outlet, and I put quick-disconnects on the oiler then attach it between the hose & tool. No oil in the hose that way.

The downside: oil leaks out if I take the oiler off, so I just use small amounts & keep adding as necessary, rather than keeping it full.

Clay
03-21-2006, 02:40 PM
I spray enough paint with my compressor that oil anywhere in the system is an absolute no-no. So all my air tools get oil before each use. For me, its easier that way.

Also, on PVC, none of it is rated for air pressure, and if you search the net you will find places where people ran their air lines in PVC and it did eventually become brittle, dry out, and literally explode! Sending small pieces of PVC schrapnel *everywhere*!

Either run black pipe, copper, or this stuff: http://www.garagepak-midwest.com/ its aluminum, and is made for garage air systems!! Sweet stuff!

clay

GLHSKEN
03-21-2006, 03:34 PM
No painting here... Inline oiling for me...

bfarroo
03-27-2006, 11:11 PM
For compressors it all depends on what tools your going to use and how much air they require. Go as big as you can afford if your going to be using it a lot. I have a 60gal 5hp 14cfm@40and 12 cfm@90 compressor and that just keeps up with my DA sander and die grinder. My brother has the same unit and does a lot of body work and is planning on getting the next bigger model. +1 on the water traps. I have 2 large moisture filters and still have problems with some water in the lines. I'm thinking about building a trap out of some 1/2in pipe fittings, a 1/2in T, 1/2-2in bell reducer and some 2in pipe with a valve at the bottom. Come out of the compressor and swing down and back straight, add the t facing down with the bell reducer from 1/2 to 2 then the 2in pipe, another reducer from 2 to 1/2, and a valve. out of the other end of the T sweep up and back straight and then add a moisture filter after that. We do this at work and it helps quite a bit. I also use a filter on the input of my spray gun for any left over water. As far as other tools a good flourescent drop light is a must have. Also a good 1/2in drill, bench vise, a solid large bench, a jack and a few sets of jack stands. For air tools a strong 1/2in impact(at least 500ft/lbs), a air hammer comes in very handy, a die grinder, 3/8in air ratchet, body saw, and a right angle cut off grinder or adapter for a die grinder with a cut of wheel.

Benji Farr
Green Bay WI
87 Shelby Z TII 15.2 @ 90.7
88 Shelby Z TI 2.2 auto
91 Shelby TI 2.5 5spd
http://bfarroo.tripod.com
http://www.extremepsi.org

GLHSKEN
03-28-2006, 07:59 AM
Thanks!@!

PUNKSLIP
03-31-2006, 03:52 AM
Just for laughs, I picked up my new Hutchins DA straightline sander a few weeks ago, and last weekend, I got my new Millermatic 210 wirefeed. I had to give up the old Lincoln. Sorry to see her go after all these years. Also, something I have had for years and I often take for granted, is my Hankinson air dryer. It requires no filters or medium because it is refridgerated. It sounds like a refrigerator when it is on and simply requires occasional draining to get rid of moisture. Crack a small ball valve for a few seconds, and you are ready to go. Next week I pick up my Dynafile, 10mm pneumatic belt sander from MAC. Man, I love tools. Next, a pnuematic polisher.

John

Turbodave
04-03-2006, 03:24 PM
Just brought home a new (to me at least) compressor last night. Was a freebie from my Dad's shop, they installed a new 80 Gal IR 2-stage compressor and did not need this one any more. The compressor is made by Quincy, they seem to make nice industrial compressors from what I can see. It came with a large 3phase motor so I'm looking for a 5hp? Single phase motor to put on it now. Anyone know where to get a good motor?

supercrackerbox
04-03-2006, 05:33 PM
There's gotta be a way to hook an electric motor to the crank of an old 2.2/2.5 and have that pump the air into the tank.

Turbodave
04-03-2006, 07:06 PM
There's gotta be a way to hook an electric motor to the crank of an old 2.2/2.5 and have that pump the air into the tank.

What about running 2 cylinders on fuel, and using the other two to compress air. Wouldn't be too hard, just need to fabricate an intake so those two cylinders are wide open all the time and don't see fuel. Also, some type of bypass that prevents the engine from stalling when the tank is full.

cordes
04-04-2006, 08:34 AM

Now that is definatly a qestion for this forum if I have ever seen one. Nothing cooler than having almost every thing you own runn off of the same spare parts.

89acclaim
04-04-2006, 10:23 PM
I have heard of guys building a compressor out of diesels.

Just an idea ---> Maybe have a light spring on the intake valve holding it shut except when the cylinder is in a vacuum. Then where the spark plug a pressure release valve set to what psi you want coming out of it. Also both the cam followers taken off for that cylinder. A tank and such forth and so on you get the idea.

It would be kind of neat.

Daniel Merrill

Turbodave
04-05-2006, 07:26 AM
Did a little research on my free compressor. Turns out it's still a little smaller than I need, two cylinders, cast iron, pressure lubricated and designed for 1-2hp motor making 6.3cfm at 100psi. With a 30 gal tank it should be fine for my impact wrenches, but isn't going to keep up with the sandblaster or DA. This compressor will probably outlive me.

I'm pretty sure it will be an improvement over the 5hp Craftsman I've got now. Even though the craftsman is rated at 7cfm@90psi, it is an oil-less direct drive model and makes a ton of noise. If anyone is looking for a garage compressor, take my advice and try to find a belt drive one, they are quieter and will probably last longer.

I'm thinking of putting a T fitting between the two compressors for when I use some of the higher demand tools, would ge me the equivalent of a 55gal tank and 15cfm if it doesn't pop all the fuses in the garage...

Skibbe
04-05-2006, 10:41 AM
Just brought home a new (to me at least) compressor last night. Was a freebie from my Dad's shop, they installed a new 80 Gal IR 2-stage compressor and did not need this one any more. The compressor is made by Quincy, they seem to make nice industrial compressors from what I can see. It came with a large 3phase motor so I'm looking for a 5hp? Single phase motor to put on it now. Anyone know where to get a good motor?

Any eletricians on board? Is it possible to get three-phase into a garage? Or is residential limited to 240v two phase?

I've got a three-phase surface grinder sitting in the garage.

Clay
04-05-2006, 11:52 AM
yes, contact your local electric company. You can get three phase, but in most cases, be prepared to pay for it.

Its easier to build/buy a 3 phase converter/starter, and use it to run your 3 phase motor.

clay

cordes
04-05-2006, 08:50 PM
yes, contact your local electric company. You can get three phase, but in most cases, be prepared to pay for it.

Its easier to build/buy a 3 phase converter/starter, and use it to run your 3 phase motor.

clay

The power company out here won't let you have it in a resedintial zone last we checked.