PDA

View Full Version : So what is there to do in the SDAC-17 area?

Clay
06-11-2007, 10:02 AM
Of course the wife is asking this question! What is there to do in the area? Like shopping (of course), points of interest, amusement parks, etc etc?

Im interested in some things of course. I always like to check out the area Im staying. :)

cordes
06-11-2007, 10:06 AM
A huge +1. The GF will be going should the current plan work out, and she may want to check out the town while the rest of us are horsing around.

contraption22
06-11-2007, 10:41 AM
http://pittsburgh.about.com/od/things_to_do/Things_to_Do_in_Pittsburgh_Western_Pennsylvania.ht m

85shelbycharger
06-11-2007, 11:28 AM
There is actually quite a bit to do around here. The Waterfront in Pittsburgh is one of the more attractive places around here with many places to shop, movie theatre's and some pretty good restaurants too! Kennywood Park is probably around 45 minutes away and is one of the best amusement parks in our area. Then you have Century III Mall in one direction, Uniontown Mall in another direction, and Westmoreland Mall in the other direction. Trust me, there are plenty of shopping opportunities for your wife, Clay :p

Clay
06-11-2007, 11:37 AM
thanks for the info. Ill pack extra money ;)

so how far away from Pittsburgh/the waterfront are we?

slasky
06-11-2007, 12:39 PM
There is stuff to do in PA?? I guess we new yorkers should stop calling it "pennsatucky."

85shelbycharger
06-11-2007, 01:27 PM
thanks for the info. Ill pack extra money ;)

so how far away from Pittsburgh/the waterfront are we?

Haha no problem Clay ;)
From New Stanton, you're probably about half an hour, give or take a few minutes, from Da Burgh/Waterfront :thumb:

BIGBRUDDA
06-12-2007, 10:17 AM
Well: For any "outdoor adventure" buffs, Ohioplye state park ( 30 miles away) hosts White water rafting on the Youghiogheny river. :partywoot: Class 1-3 rapids, on "self guided" rental rafts and "duckies"(inflatable canoes& kayaks).:bounce2:
I have run the "yock" several times and it is a blast for hot afternoon fun.
My alter-ego happens to be a long time, rafter-kayaker, guide/instructor.
Checkout www.ucmc.org ,photo gallery ,Robert Sextons WW 101 & French Broad pics.:)
So if yaz like we could paddle 1 afternoon!:grouphug:

For the intalectuals. Frank Lloyd Wrights personal home "Falling Waters"( way cool) is close by, offering tours and the like.

contraption22
06-12-2007, 10:42 AM
Any Go-Kart tracks around?

Clay
06-12-2007, 11:02 AM
Ohhhhhh falling water...... Ive seen pictures, might have to check that out!

and oh yes, need some good kart action!

85shelbycharger
06-12-2007, 11:09 AM
Any Go-Kart tracks around?

Actually....YES! Probably 10-15 minutes away there's a miniature golf/go-kart place. Get onto 119 toward Connellsville and it's real easy to get to as you'll see it as you're driving. I've never personally been there but it looks like it would be a fun place to go :thumb:

mcsvt
06-12-2007, 11:42 AM
I think Falling Water would be awesome to see. I have been FLW fan for a while.

I think we have some carting ringers in the crowd, but it could be fun :thumb:

cordes
06-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Wow, falling water would be super cool to see.

2.216VTurbo
06-12-2007, 12:24 PM
Actually....YES! Probably 10-15 minutes away there's a miniature golf/go-kart place. Get onto 119 toward Connellsville and it's real easy to get to as you'll see it as you're driving. I've never personally been there but it looks like it would be a fun place to go :thumb:

Sweet! I'm willing to take as many as want to pile in the 300 rental to go karting. Someone will have to ride with the cooler on their lap though:eyebrows:

GLHS069
06-13-2007, 03:40 PM
I was just looking for go-karting info.
I'm in if anybody goes!!!

DC Turismo
06-13-2007, 04:38 PM
I'm up for go karting as well! It's a place called the Kaddy Shack (sp?) I've never been there myself but we've passed it up plenty of times on the way to our football games.

As far as directions to Falling Water are concerned, from our location:
Take I-70 east to PA Route 51. Go south on Route 51 to Uniontown. Take Route 40 east from Uniontown to Farmington, PA. Turn left on to Route 381 north, and travel approximately 10 miles to Fallingwater.

This isn't that far at all, I'd say you could get there in under an hour from our location.

Westmoreland Mall will be closest to our location, as one would take I70 east which becomes 119 heading towards Greensburg. You merge onto Rt. 30 maybe 5 miles or so after you go through Youngwood and it's no more than two miles after you merge onto Rt. 30.

Also, the site of the Flight 93 crash in Somerset, PA is not too far away either. Get onto I76 East (PA Turnpike) and follow it to the Somerset Exit 110. Follow signs for Rte. 281 north. Take Route 281 north 9.5 miles to US 30/Lincoln Highway at Stoystown. Travel 2.4 miles east on Lincoln Highway (US Rte. 30) to Lambertsville Road. Travel 1.7 miles on Lambertsville Road to Skyline Road. Travel 1 mile on Skyline Road to the Temporary Memorial.

R/T
06-13-2007, 10:16 PM
I think Falling Water would be awesome to see. I have been FLW fan for a while.
:

+1!!

FW is on my maybe-to-do list while in the area... :thumb:

ROAD TRIP!!!! :nod:

cordes
06-13-2007, 10:39 PM
+1!!

FW is on my maybe-to-do list while in the area... :thumb:

ROAD TRIP!!!! :nod:

yeah, I would love to see it, and I think that the GF would really enjoy it too.

I don't know that I will be down for the gocarting, as the last time I climbed into one of those, I could not walk for three months. of course it was a little aluminum frame job with a snowmobile motor strapped to it, but none the less.

contraption22
06-18-2007, 02:10 PM
Anybody interested in seeing Jimmy Buffet in Pittsburgh Saturday night?

cordes
06-18-2007, 02:12 PM
Anybody interested in seeing Jimmy Buffet in Pittsburgh Saturday night?

What do the tickets cost, and more importantly, will any be available. The last time he rolled through Detroit they were super expensive as it was sold out and the scalpers were asking between 2-3 hundred dollars.

contraption22
06-18-2007, 02:16 PM
I have 3 available...if others are interested in going, I may still go. If not, I may unload all 6. I paid $90 each

cordes
06-18-2007, 02:38 PM
I have 3 available...if others are interested in going, I may still go. If not, I may unload all 6. I paid $90 each

Thanks for the info.

TurbododgePirate
06-20-2007, 01:28 PM
There are a couple go cart tracks on 119 south not very far from the event. Salty Dog, and another, better venue. They also have a Hot Shots next door. I'll try to get some info tomorrow.

Additionally there is a paintball venue about 20 minutes away, apparently one of the largest in the country indoor. I can find out info on that as well if you guys want.