PDA

View Full Version : 1980 Dodge 024 DeTomaso

TC3Boy
06-10-2007, 01:25 PM
Hey Guys,

Its been a while since I logged on here. Anyways, up here in the Arctic we have a scrap yard that is full of vintage RUST free cars (dry air + no salt = NO RUST!) I came accross a 1980 DeTomaso in relativly good shape, its got the VW1.7 and 4sp stick, its complete with no rust on it, but it has been sitting there for sometime. I will take some pics of it. I can get it for $100.00 bucks or so.

Should I scoupe this baby up? will it be worth something someday?

whats your guess?

You should see the other stuff this yard has too, makes me want to cry, its like taking a time machine back 20 years ago!

Jeff

cordes
06-10-2007, 03:09 PM
I think you mean turismo? I would snap it up for $100 if the mounts for the 1.7 are compatible with the 2.2s.

Turbodave
06-10-2007, 04:44 PM
Cool find, I've never seen any of the 024 Detamoso's in person, just pictures of them. There a quite a few unique trim pieces on the car, so if you didn't buy the whole thing I would at least see if you could get any of that stuff.

As far as what they are worth, that's a tough call. I've never seen one for sale to compare against. Probably not the best car to buy if your looking to make money, but it would be a neat bit of nostalgia.

Here's a link to Dempsey's site with a brief write-up on the Detamoso omni.
http://www.omnilith.net/teamomni/package.htm

cordes
06-10-2007, 05:46 PM
Wow, that is super cool. I did not know that they made one of those. Thanks for posting guys.

boost geek
06-10-2007, 08:27 PM
Buy it, sell it to me...:eyebrows:

TurbododgePirate
06-11-2007, 01:54 PM
I would be 100% interested in the fender flares, and if the interior is black, several trim pieces, please let me know!!!!!

TC3Boy
06-11-2007, 02:04 PM
Hey Guys,

I am going to take some pics this week and post them up.....

Don't want to pass on this, however if I do not get the whole car, all the parts are mine as my buddy works at the yard and so swinging this will be easy!!!!

Jeff

Vigo
06-11-2007, 07:53 PM
i would get the whole car. then skip the 2.2 and do a TDI swap and get a big sticker that says 50mpg and post pics of that. and also run 14s, almost forgot.

WickedShelby88
06-12-2007, 10:16 AM
When I was growing up my friends dad had an 024 that was in like new condition. He didn't drive it much because he was a truck driver. It had the 1.7, but it ran really well. Seemed like it was almost as good as a non HO 2.2 in terms of power and reliability. If you can get it as a whole that would be a good car to fix up and drive daily. Those older L's seem to ride better and are more comfortable in my opinion.

TC3Boy
06-13-2007, 02:35 AM
hey Boyz

Here are the pics of this bad boy, needs a total restro, kinda in a bad spot, but its in nicer shape than meets the eye.

Take a look at this bone yard and tell me what you think?

Jeff

http://rides.webshots.com/album/559400845aFKzEw?track_pagetag=/page/photo/rides/cars&track_action=/Owner/ViewActions/FullAlbum

BadAssPerformance
06-13-2007, 08:09 AM
Not too bad...

TurbododgePirate
06-13-2007, 09:24 AM
Looks like it never had the fender flares, or they were removed. :(

Turbodave
06-13-2007, 09:28 AM
That car doesn' look too bad, certainly fix-able based on the pictures. Neat to see that it's got same sterring wheel as a GLHS, including the leather wrapping around it.

That yard looks like a fun place!

cordes
06-13-2007, 10:57 AM
Looks like it never had the fender flares, or they were removed. :(

If you look at the picture of the other charger that is there, it sure looks like they are still there to me.

ShelbyMotorsports
06-13-2007, 11:23 AM
Very rough and would be a big money loser if restored. Thats even if you could locate parts for it.

The fender flares do look like they are missing. What looks like the shadow line of fender flares is a pinstripe.

The front spoiler is missing along with the correct wheels. Its also missing the window louvers.

While yellow paint was one of the colors offered it may be a repaint or at minimum modified. The Shelby skunk stripes over the top are not original and I'm thinking the pinstriping where the fender flares should be is also not original.

cordes
06-13-2007, 02:15 PM
Now that I look at it again, you are right. It is just a pinstripe that is on there and not the original fender flair.

TC3Boy
06-13-2007, 02:38 PM
Yes, I have to do some searching on it. For $100 buxs I can't go wrong. I will have to see if these parts were taken off this car and put on another one that maybe sitting in the yard now:eyebrows:

either way I will see what my plans are, looks like original paint, except for those strips.

I would love to perseve a bit of L body history though and stuff like this does not come around too often. Even if I have to let it sit for a bit atleast I have it.

Jeff

ShelbyMotorsports
06-13-2007, 03:38 PM
Yes, I have to do some searching on it. For $100 buxs I can't go wrong. I will have to see if these parts were taken off this car and put on another one that maybe sitting in the yard now:eyebrows:

either way I will see what my plans are, looks like original paint, except for those strips.

I would love to perseve a bit of L body history though and stuff like this does not come around too often. Even if I have to let it sit for a bit atleast I have it.

Jeff

For a $100 you would be ok and it is a piece of history but finding parts is going to be tough. Off the top of my head I want to say they made around 1500 of them over two years.

Good luck

MiniMopar
06-13-2007, 03:43 PM
It could be worth a lot to the right person. A cool piece of L-body history, for sure. L-bodies are not my bag, but i could see myself cruising in a Rampage or a vintage car like this. Of course, everyone else on the road would think I was a tard, but that it pretty much the case for all of my TMs.

Turbodave
06-13-2007, 03:52 PM
L-bodies are not my bag, but i could see myself cruising in a Rampage or a vintage car like this.

Could you see yourself cruising in a Ramage with faded paint and an orange light on the roof ;) ?

I have to say, for $100 it would probably be in my driveway. I've been trying to snag a clean 79 024 I know of for a while now, just because it's a cool piece of history and would be fun to cruise around in.

MiniMopar
06-13-2007, 04:05 PM
Could you see yourself cruising in a Ramage with faded paint and an orange light on the roof ;) ?

Totally. :)

BadAssPerformance
06-13-2007, 05:57 PM
FWD can't be that bad for plowing? LOL :thumb:

boost geek
06-13-2007, 09:48 PM
What kind of car is on pic 032? :eyebrows: