PDA

View Full Version : L-Body Dash Swap

GLHS592
01-31-2006, 10:55 PM
I'm thinking about diving into swapping out my old junky dash for my nice new one. I figure it's a pretty straight forward swap. Drop the steering column, disconnect speedo cable, pull the cluster, pull the top metal panel, etc. There is no radio, A/C, or heater in my car, so I think it will be pretty easy. Is there anything I should be aware of out of the ordianary?

jaysshelby
01-31-2006, 10:59 PM
nope you pretty much named out what you need to do.

CUDA_TUGGER
02-01-2006, 04:00 PM
There are 2 more bolts. On each side of the dash and behind the kick panels or maybe just above each. They are 13 or 15 mm I think. The biggest hurdle I have had in the past is the heater/AC box. So you should be in good shape.

Clay
02-01-2006, 04:27 PM
yup, you pretty much nailed it Kevin.

Just use my theory...... if it wont come out easy, somethings probably still connected! :eyebrows:

altered7151
02-01-2006, 06:02 PM
Just loosen up those two bolts on the side, dont take them completely out. That way once you remove the rest of the bolts/screws you can pivot the dash on those two bolts away from the firewall. The tabs where those two bolts mount are slotted, so you can pivot it to you then lift straight up and out. Makes it much easier to get it around the heater/ac unit. Putting it back in is the same, just put the two tabs on the bolts, and pivot it back up and attach.

Phreakish
02-01-2006, 09:51 PM
the wiring is a PITA to get out of the dash, but probably has more to do with the A/C in the car I just yanked the dash from...

Pulling that and the a/c-heat box made it easy to get the wiring harness out of the pass. compartment :D