PDA

View Full Version : Driving from Chicago to Las Vegas, how to prepare car?

SteveReject
06-08-2007, 08:00 AM
I have an 1800 mile trip coming up in less than a month and I just replaced several important items on my car for better reliability. I installed the following parts in 2007.

Bosch cap and rotor
Radiator hoses + fresh coolant
195* Thermostat
Serpentine belt
Polyurethane sway bushings
KYB rear shocks
NGK spark plugs
Trans fluid and filter
Ceramic pads
Master cylinder
Drivers side axle shaft
Adjusted rear brakes
Re greased bearings

Other than new struts and an alignment I think i'm good to go. I will be bring extra fluids in my trunk such as oil, power steering, trans, antifreeze. and i'll have my toolbox which is enough for most jobs. Is there anything I should get for the trip? I know to pack food/water for myself and probably a flashlight, extra headlight, maps, and jumper cables (i doubt my yellowtop would die)

It makes me a little nervous driving across the country by myself in a 15 year old car, you never know what can go wrong.

25-26 hours according to mapquest, sounds like I could pull this off over a weekend or something short, knock it out in two days or so. Any advice before I hit the road soon?

22mopar
06-08-2007, 08:29 AM
I have an 1800 mile trip coming up in less than a month and I just replaced several important items on my car for better reliability. I installed the following parts in 2007.

Bosch cap and rotor
Radiator hoses + fresh coolant
195* Thermostat
Serpentine belt
Polyurethane sway bushings
KYB rear shocks
NGK spark plugs
Trans fluid and filter
Ceramic pads
Master cylinder
Drivers side axle shaft
Adjusted rear brakes
Re greased bearings

Other than new struts and an alignment I think i'm good to go. I will be bring extra fluids in my trunk such as oil, power steering, trans, antifreeze. and i'll have my toolbox which is enough for most jobs. Is there anything I should get for the trip? I know to pack food/water for myself and probably a flashlight, extra headlight, maps, and jumper cables (i doubt my yellowtop would die)

It makes me a little nervous driving across the country by myself in a 15 year old car, you never know what can go wrong.

25-26 hours according to mapquest, sounds like I could pull this off over a weekend or something short, knock it out in two days or so. Any advice before I hit the road soon?

if your driving a TD product, get triple A (AAA), have several cell phones, lots of food and water.

BadAssPerformance
06-08-2007, 08:57 AM
Sounds like a good road trip tune up Steve. IIR, the tires were pretty new too right?

If anything else, I would say make sure you have a good spare tire and enough tools to do minor repairs if needed.

And a cell phone (check your coverage area the way you are going out there) and AAA are good insurance too :thumb:

Skibbe
06-08-2007, 10:40 AM
+1 AAA

Been a believer since my GLHS caught on fire.

lowprofile
06-08-2007, 11:05 AM
maybe an extra fuel pump and hall effect.

WickedShelby88
06-08-2007, 11:19 AM
+1 on the fuel pump. Those things will fail without warning sometimes.

SteveReject
06-08-2007, 11:29 AM
My tires are pretty new still only about 10k-12k on them, i'll double check the spare pressure and see what kind of spare parts I can afford if needed.

Chris W
06-08-2007, 11:47 AM
How about creating a list of TD enthusiasts who live along the route?

Chris-TU

SteveReject
06-08-2007, 11:51 AM
The only big thing I know between here and nevada is the rocky mountains, other than some steep grades and falling rocks, what else should I be on the look out for? I'm pretty sure i'm freaking out and thinking something might get in the way of me going where I need to go. Things will probably be fine, i've done a lot of preparation already. With my new shocks and struts I will feel better about loading up my car with my belongings for the ride. Nothing too heavy just my bass, guitar, computer, laptop, cds, tools, skateboard, and clothes.

SteveReject
06-08-2007, 11:57 AM
How about creating a list of TD enthusiasts who live along the route?

Chris-TU

Very good idea!! I'll need to figure out who lives in:
Iowa
Nebraska
Colorado
Utah

Along the route to las vegas, i'll be going from the I-88 to the I-80 then the I-76 and the I-70 so if anyone lives near these interstate highways, let me know just in case I get stranded need a hand or something.

When I hit nevada and the I-15 and I-95 i'll know exactly where to go since that is familiar territory.

looneytuner
06-08-2007, 02:13 PM
Very good idea!! I'll need to figure out who lives in:
Iowa
Nebraska
Colorado
Utah

Along the route to las vegas, i'll be going from the I-88 to the I-80 then the I-76 and the I-70 so if anyone lives near these interstate highways, let me know just in case I get stranded need a hand or something.

When I hit nevada and the I-15 and I-95 i'll know exactly where to go since that is familiar territory.

:yuck: Take the MOTHER ROAD Route 66/I 70:nod: just joking:)

devlish
06-08-2007, 03:14 PM
...double check the spare pressure ..i was going to mention that! good call, most people don't ever think the air pressure in their spare tire. it's a good idea to check that every oilchange, its so easy to do. then again, most of us probably don't even ride with a spare in the trunk!

good luck on your trip!

SteveReject
06-08-2007, 06:56 PM
:yuck: Take the MOTHER ROAD Route 66/I 70:nod: just joking:)

I've actually gone on the route 66 tour with all the old cars driving along. Good times!

BadAssPerformance
06-08-2007, 07:13 PM
Just curious Steve, you moving permamnently or just for a while?

I just met another late model mopar enthusiast in person and then find out they are moving!

puppet
06-09-2007, 10:15 AM
Ditch the spare "donut" and get a full size spare.

BadAssPerformance
06-09-2007, 10:27 AM
Not a bad idea.. the minis suck if you are in the middle of nowhere and have to go 500 miles to get a tire fixed.

SteveReject
06-09-2007, 11:34 AM
Just curious Steve, you moving permamnently or just for a while?

I just met another late model mopar enthusiast in person and then find out they are moving!

I wouldn't say permanently, I just graduated high school and i'm the youngest in my band so they have been waiting for me to be done so we can full on tour for a while along the west coast and when I move back we will be able to play all sorts of shows as often as we want instead of when I'm in vegas visiting. My plan is to do my thing with the band for the summer, if it goes really well, we will keep the ball rolling for sure. If we have fun and it doesn't go far then I will go to college for either automotive or become a certified electrician, or whatever I decide. I will probably go to either triton, here in chicago, or CCSN in las vegas. After seeing both i'll decide.

I also have most of my family that lives here and a huge amount of friends now from my graduating class. I used to come to chicago atleast 2 times a year while I was still in high school but now that i'm free, I can come back and visit here as much as I want.

Speaking of spare tires and such, would it a good idea to get one of those cans of fix a flat or whatever incase I have a tire leak on me? or are those just a waste of money? I don't know if i'll be able to fit a full size tire/rim in my car with my other stuff, and I don't even have one at all. Money is tight since I just bought my struts and i'm saving everything else for gas and an alignment, I have one friend that's giving me money to hold just incase I need it but i'm still short for now. Working for $7 an hour sucks HAAARD.

Tony Hanna
06-09-2007, 12:40 PM
I wouldn't mess with the fix a flat. I've always liked the little cheapie 12v air compressors. Sure, they take awhile to pump up a completely flat tire, but they don't go empty like the canned stuff.:thumb:
If you're that worried about tires, aside from carrying a good full size spare, you might as well pick up a plug kit too. It's nice to be able to fix your own tire without having to wait on/pay for somebody else to do it.:)

BadAssPerformance
06-09-2007, 12:58 PM
Sounds like you're in for a fun summer Steve... be sure keep us posted on your travels and throw some of your band's music our way to check out too! :thumb:

welby
06-09-2007, 05:34 PM
+1 AAA

Been a believer since my GLHS caught on fire.

On this note, you might want to add a fire extinguisher to the list.

BadAssPerformance
06-10-2007, 12:35 PM
+1 on the extinguisher :thumb:

tryingbe
06-10-2007, 02:49 PM
Manual fan switch.

SteveReject
06-10-2007, 05:43 PM
Manual fan switch.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/580000-580999/580902_196_full.jpg

Already there! :) Best free mod I've ever done.

I was also thinking an extra spark plug wire, and adding water wetter in my radiator to help cope with the summer heat. I don't smoke cigarettes so that isn't an issue with my money :) I'll probably put together a first aid kit of sorts too.

BadAssPerformance
06-10-2007, 08:42 PM
Good idea on the first aid kit :thumb:

tryingbe
06-10-2007, 10:05 PM
and make sure your a/c works.

SteveReject
06-10-2007, 11:14 PM
A/C hasn't been in full working order for about 2 years, I cracked my condenser when I rear ended a truck way back when. I miss my A/C it was so cold too! Atleast it's a convertible though so I never get too hot.

tryingbe
06-11-2007, 12:55 AM
You'll need an ice box full have ice at all time.

Driving in 97+ degree will tire you very fast.

3nglenn
06-11-2007, 06:12 PM
Replace your fuel lines (the rubber flexible ones, fuel injection rated of course) and your fuel filter. Air filter too. G.P.

Turbodave
06-12-2007, 11:53 AM
Full size spare is nice, but with a convertible you probably don't have much extra trunk space, I would just make sure your current space saver is in good condition and properly inflated.

Knowing people along the way is a good idea. If you can't put together a list at least send me a PM and get my number. I've got family in western Iowa right off I-80, and I know a bunch of the turbo-mopar guys out that way. I also have some friends and family near Denver.

Tony Hanna
06-12-2007, 11:53 PM
A/C hasn't been in full working order for about 2 years, I cracked my condenser when I rear ended a truck way back when. I miss my A/C it was so cold too! Atleast it's a convertible though so I never get too hot.

Well, if everything is still there, grab a condenser from a junkyard, throw it on, flush the system, and recharge. Personally, I like the Envirosafe ES12. It requires no liscense and cools just as well as the original R12. The downside is that it's flammable. If that bothers you, even a crappy 134a conversion is better than nothing. It's not really a big job, and definately not worth suffering in the heat over. Tryingbe's right, driving in the heat will wear you out fast.

johnl
06-22-2007, 02:33 AM
I keep a can of fix flat in each of my cars - they've got me going quickly many times.

Some cheap things you might be glad you had . . . just throw em into your tool box - black vinyl electric tape, duct tape, bailing wire, plumber's tape with a few nuts/bolts/washers, jumper wires with alligator clips, test light, matches/bic lighter and solder, super glue, JB weld . . . .

roachjuice
06-27-2007, 10:22 PM
I keep a can of fix flat in each of my cars - they've got me going quickly many times.

Some cheap things you might be glad you had . . . just throw em into your tool box - black vinyl electric tape, duct tape, bailing wire, plumber's tape with a few nuts/bolts/washers, jumper wires with alligator clips, test light, matches/bic lighter and solder, super glue, JB weld . . . .

:lol: every td'er should have these items in their tool box :thumb:

Birddog
06-27-2007, 11:05 PM
From a guy that goes on spontaneous road trips for absolutely no reason... Somewhat often...
Don't over think and map a few smaller cities on or near your route.

Paxton, Ne is a great little town...;)

SteveReject
07-07-2007, 04:29 PM
Thanks for everyones help. The drive was a complete success even though it was soooooooo long. I left thursday morning (june 28th) and after stopping only a few times to try and sleep in my car like a pretzel I arrived in las vegas safely at about 6am saturday (june 30th)

Two months of driving in two days, spent about $220 on gas, thought I blew my transmission up in texas when I started spewing fluid and leaving huge drips everytime I filled the tank until it just fixed itself??? Weird but whatever, i'm glad the car isn't full of my stuff anymore, it rides normal again now.

My new brake pads, rotors, and master cylinder made for safe stops even with my heavy --- car full of my stuff, and my new Bilstein struts and KYB shocks helped me feel confident on the road, even at 70mph in heavy rain!!!
I also know I need a new belt tensioner now because mine was getting noisy along the trip even though it's quiet again now.

Missouri and Oklahoma kinda sucked being soooo hot and raining so hard, it slowed me down a few times from falling so hard on the freeway. I felt the car hydroplaning a few times at 70mph even though other cars were flying by me!!! After passing oklahoma I didn't run into anymore rain.

New mexico was the longest state ever.... not really but it took forever to go from one side to the other. Not to mention new mexico drivers are something else for sure.

After that arizona was cool and it was fun driving over hoover dam into nevada.

I sure saw a lot in the 2000 miles that I traveled by myself, it's a good thing I had some herb with me to calm my nerves from driving constantly. That and talking to my friends on the phone at rest stops helped keep me sane.

BadAssPerformance
07-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Glad you made it out safely Steve! :thumb:

SteveReject
07-08-2007, 03:36 PM
Thanks a lot! I'm just happy the car didn't die, I didn't get a flat tire, or get crushed by a semi in the rain at 65mph. I'll be back out in chicago towards the end of the summer but I doubt i'll drive back, but we'll see, it would be a lot more comfortable of a ride without having all my stuff PACKED in the car. Maybe bring a friend with for the ride out there or take someone elses car, either way i'll have my a/c fixed by then and all will be well. Thanks again everyone for your helpful advice. If I get broadband at my new place soon i'll post up a few pics I took.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/masturbasser/DSC04656.jpg
The back end of the car seems a little low! Maybe it was all my tools, boxes, parts, and anything else I could fit is in my trunk and backseat.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/masturbasser/DSC04654.jpg
I also hit 140,000 miles on the way here in either new mexico or arizona.

shad0w2.s_tur80
07-15-2007, 04:46 PM
love the kings sticker on you gas tank door, i was thinking about puting a big on on the back window of my daytona but i dont know.