PDA

View Full Version : flex pipe vs. ball flange

Tony Hanna
06-07-2007, 11:27 AM
I'm trying to work out some way of connecting the downpipe in my Spirit to the Holset. I'm having a hard time deciding between using some sort of spring loaded ball flange, or just going with a 3 bolt (header style) flange and a flex pipe. Whatever I do, I'd like to go 3" to allow for an exhaust upgrade in the future, but for now, price will be the deciding factor.
Any tips on a budget source for either a 3" flex pipe, or ball flange? Preferably something I can source from either a local auto parts store, or junkyard as time is a bit of an issue as well, and I'd rather not wait on parts to ship if I can help it.
Thanks,
Tony

overlordsshadow
06-07-2007, 11:40 AM
I've got a flex pipe and it works good. Not sure where or how you can get one locally but mabye at a semi truck store. TU has 3 inch *edit flex pipes* and I'm sure so does everyone else on the net, but like you said thats time.

Tony Hanna
06-07-2007, 11:56 AM
True, and under ideal circumstances I'd order from either Chris or Cindy, but shipping time is an issue. On a lighter note, there is someone selling them on Ebay and shipping from a boardering state (PA). That might not be too bad depending on how long they take to get the order dropped off for shipping...

turbovanmanČ
06-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Flex pipe will be the cheapest and easiest route, adapting a stock type setup will be a PITA. I would get Flowmasters header connect ball/cup kit and a flex pipe. This way, you can easily take it apart.

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/accessories.html

9th item down.

Tony Hanna
06-07-2007, 01:23 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong Simon, but If I went with the Flowmaster ball flange and used spring bolts, then I shouldn't need a flex pipe at all.:thumb:

turbovanmanČ
06-07-2007, 02:10 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong Simon, but If I went with the Flowmaster ball flange and used spring bolts, then I shouldn't need a flex pipe at all.:thumb:

That flange kit is a SOLID connection, no movement, :thumb:

mw6886
06-07-2007, 02:14 PM
Screw the 3 bolt header style flange. Get a V-Band kit. You'll never regret it. You will however regret the 3 bolt flange.

Tony Hanna
06-07-2007, 02:23 PM
Well, I was kind of wanting to kill two birds with one stone and run some sort of spring loaded ball flange that would both act as a point for disassembly and provide the necessary give (kind of like the connection on a stock DP/swingvalve). If I end up having to go with a flex pipe, I'll probably just put it toghether with a slip fit joint and use one of the wide stainless band clamps to secure it. Not ideal I know, but I'm on a pretty tight budget.