PDA

View Full Version : Will Venolia do this?

TurbododgePirate
01-31-2006, 06:40 PM
I have a nice seasoned 2.4 block. The machine shop said it would just need a good hone and it will be ready to go. Now, I want to get venolia pistons in the near future. I assume I should wait and have him hone it after I get the pistons. But will they make the pistons to fit the stock bore size? Or will it need bored and honed?

You rinput is appreciated. ~~Heath

Austrian Dodge
01-31-2006, 06:50 PM
you'll need more piston clearence with the venolias.

TurbododgePirate
01-31-2006, 06:59 PM
So it will need bored and honed?

turbovanmanČ
01-31-2006, 09:42 PM
I would phone Venolia with the bore size and see what they say. Generally, there pistons need alot more clearance than reg pistons so you might have to hone them for the required clearance. They can give you the specs on there pistons, then with your bore measurements, you can see if you have enough or need more or too much, :thumb:

GLHS0658
02-01-2006, 02:27 AM
Call Venolia. They can make pistons to size. Have your machinist finish hone your cylinders and measure them. Give specs to Venolia and they will size the pistons to your bores.

Mike

TurbododgePirate
02-01-2006, 10:10 AM
AWESOME!!! I have their order sheet here in front of me. Thanks a bunch!!
And WOW, ordering directly from them give you pretty decent prices!

~~Heath

Chris W
02-01-2006, 11:59 AM
AWESOME!!! I have their order sheet here in front of me. Thanks a bunch!!
And WOW, ordering directly from them give you pretty decent prices!

~~Heath

Heath,

To build the engine properly the cylinders should be honed once you have the pistons in hand so they can be measured. I would not rely on the "advertised" piston sizes from the manufacturer because they could be off.

Chris-TU

TurbododgePirate
02-01-2006, 12:08 PM
Chris, I appreciate the input, and that's my plan!

GLHS0658
02-01-2006, 02:06 PM
Chris, I agree with you on "advertised sizes". You must hone cylinder to match.
What I was referring to is getting pistons made to order. You give them the bore size down to .0001 and they make a piston to match it.
All the major performance piston manufacturers do it.
I have used JE in the past for this.
Venolia pistons come .020 over (STD) which will actually need a .026 bore
but you can order them for a .020 over bore and the piston will be .014 over STD.

It's a machining process...either the block to pistons or pistons to bore.
When you are buying performance pistons in these price ranges the piston manufacturer usually doesn't charge any more for custom.

Mike

Chris W
02-01-2006, 02:17 PM
Chris, I agree with you on "advertised sizes". You must hone cylinder to match.
What I was referring to is getting pistons made to order. You give them the bore size down to .0001 and they make a piston to match it.
All the major performance piston manufacturers do it.
I have used JE in the past for this.
Venolia pistons come .020 over (STD) which will actually need a .026 bore
but you can order them for a .020 over bore and the piston will be .014 over STD.

It's a machining process...either the block to pistons or pistons to bore.
When you are buying performance pistons in these price ranges the piston manufacturer usually doesn't charge any more for custom.

Mike

It does not matter whether the Venolia size is "advertised" or "custom". The pistons could still vary greater then .0001 in size. This is the main reason why our preferred piston vendor is Wiseco. We have found that Wiseco's tolerances and quality control are far superior.

Chris-TU

GLHS0658
02-01-2006, 02:25 PM
...and 1 extra stroke of the hone can result in more than .0001

But yes I know what you mean. Also I would feel more comfortable
getting pistons machined to size than certain machine shops boring my block.

Last set of pistons I ordered for a V8 (7) were 4.1855 and (1) was 4.1856
So that was 1 ten thousandth off. Which doesn't even matter. It is when it is .001 (one thousandth) off that matters.
(I will be sending these to you for coating :) )
Mike

Chris W
02-01-2006, 03:39 PM
...and 1 extra stroke of the hone can result in more than .0001

But yes I know what you mean. Also I would feel more comfortable
getting pistons machined to size than certain machine shops boring my block.

Last set of pistons I ordered for a V8 (7) were 4.1855 and (1) was 4.1856
So that was 1 ten thousandth off. Which doesn't even matter. It is when it is .001 (one thousandth) off that matters.
(I will be sending these to you for coating :) )
Mike

I agree Mike. .0001 won't make much difference but .001 could be an issue. Boring/Honing based on actual piston size is the most accurate way of building these engines.

Let us know when you are ready to do the coating and we will help you out:thumb:

Chris-TU-

mock_glh
02-01-2006, 09:19 PM
I've built a couple of engines with standard Venolia pistons. They measured out to be the same diameter as the stock pistons. If your cylinders aren't worn much you can hone them out the extra few thousanths for the clearance you need. No need to bore:thumb: