PDA

View Full Version : TC Masi Swapfest begins in 8 hours...

2.216VTurbo
06-02-2007, 03:21 AM
Since another TC Masi ended up in my driveway and it just happens to be nicer than the one I've been upgrading for 4-5 years, I made the decision to swap all the goodies from mine onto the 'new car' New car is the identical color combo yellow/ginger/tan as mine but as a 90 instead of an 89 like I started with so it has the airbag steering wheel and other desireable features.

So starting at 8am in the morning 4-5 hardcore TD guys are showing up to help me swap the engine, transmission, K frame, axles, shifter/shift cables, fuel tank, rad/IC, rear swaybar and ten or so smaller things from the old car to the new car. Deal is all the food and drinks they can consume in a day plus a little bonus if we get it running by the end of the day.:eyebrows: One of the gang called me this afternoon and said he's staying til 1am if that's what is takes:) Man I love the TD guys:grouphug:

Pics to follow...

BadAssPerformance
06-02-2007, 08:48 AM
Sweet, good luck and party on! :thumb:

Clay
06-02-2007, 09:12 AM
Sweet, good luck and party on! :thumb:

DUDE! :thumb:

Speedeuphoria
06-02-2007, 09:53 AM
Man you lucky to have good friends like that, dont ever get rid of them. :amen:

turbovanmanČ
06-02-2007, 07:31 PM
Your crazy but I love it. Good luck and talk to you in a few, :thumb:

NeonShowCar
06-02-2007, 08:46 PM
I had to leave at 4pm today, but by the time I left we had the engine just going into Alan's new TC. The K-frames where swap, as were the front suspension and the fuel tank was off the old car.

Here come the pictures, so bare with me as I upload them all. I took 50 pictures today.

Speedeuphoria
06-02-2007, 09:30 PM
Nice, I read that you were itching to wrench on something so I'm sure you got your fix for now:p .

Hey I'm not an old school guy, but there is/was a guy w/ the same or similar last name in Kalamazoo, MI. I know he was into TD's then his son had a neon show car(was black when I saw it). Know of him/them??( maybe your his son?). I used to hang out w/ a guy, Christian Schuester, had/has a '91 Iroc R/T white, I think he knew of you also.

cordes
06-02-2007, 09:45 PM
Nice, I read that you were itching to wrench on something so I'm sure you got your fix for now:p .

Hey I'm not an old school guy, but there is/was a guy w/ the same or similar last name in Kalamazoo, MI. I know he was into TD's then his son had a neon show car(was black when I saw it). Know of him/them??( maybe your his son?)

A TC is old school? :(

Speedeuphoria
06-02-2007, 09:47 PM
No, I just meant I havent been into TD's very long, or around the forums ect...

NeonShowCar
06-02-2007, 09:48 PM
Start of the pictures....

Both cars sitting in the driveway. Getting ready to pull the engine from one and store away. Other engine from Alan's driver going into newer 90' TC.

Like how we rigged up the hood to stay in place? :)

NeonShowCar
06-02-2007, 09:53 PM
Pulling out the stock motor from the car that Alan want's his mod'd Masi motor to go into.

Engine bay was dirty, so Alan climbed in and starting cleaning it up. With a scrub brush too!

NeonShowCar
06-02-2007, 10:01 PM
Man that engine bay sure did shine up nicely.

Check out all the food Alan supplied us with. Plus soda, water, Monster Energy, and Beer. :thumb:

Hrm, which clutch are we gonna put in behind this motor? Something that will hold the power...

Yes I did do work rather then just take pictures.

Picture of the cleaned up K-frame swap on the new car also shown.

Oh yeah, like the trailer tongue that was used to hold the car from rolling down the driveway? TD'rs rigging it up again! :thumb:

cordes
06-02-2007, 10:02 PM
No, I just meant I havent been into TD's very long, or around the forums ect...

Ahhh. ;)

Thanks for the pics thus far. It makes it look like it went so fast! I can't wait to see pics of the final product.

NeonShowCar
06-02-2007, 10:12 PM
Engine getting the new clutch installed. See the ported turbocharger. Hehehe

Finally putting the engine into the newer (90') TC. Can you tell Alan is getting excited?

After these, pictures I had to leave. I'm sure the guys will post more tonight once they are complete. There wasn't much left to do, install trans, shifter, shifter cables, fuel tank, exhaust system. And then fill with fluids and run. I'd imagine it will run tonight for sure!

It was alot of fun to wrench once again, been 7 yrs since I wrenched on a TD. Thanks to Alan for the food and drinks. Let me know when the next wrench session will be. :)

BIG PSI
06-02-2007, 10:33 PM
Alan are you the guy in the Blue T-Shirt ???

SoCalCSX
06-02-2007, 10:37 PM
Yes, that's Alan

NeonShowCar
06-02-2007, 11:23 PM

Hey I'm not an old school guy, but there is/was a guy w/ the same or similar last name in Kalamazoo, MI. I know he was into TD's then his son had a neon show car(was black when I saw it). Know of him/them??( maybe your his son?). I used to hang out w/ a guy, Christian Schuester, had/has a '91 Iroc R/T white, I think he knew of you also.

Yes that is George Kish (father) and Tim Kish (son). They've had TurboDodges in the past.

Chris W
06-03-2007, 01:05 AM
Hey Alan,

Why can't you schedule these drivetrain swaps during our monthly meetings? With as many people that usually show up you could have it done in about 3 to 4 hours and you can have Applebees cater for you.

BTW- I received your text message earlier today. Glad to hear the clutch arrived safely. :thumb:

Chris-TU

Ondonti
06-03-2007, 07:29 AM
lol @ greasy donuts someone was eating ;)

cordes
06-03-2007, 11:32 AM
lol @ greasy donuts someone was eating ;)

Working on my car is the only time I eat greasy food. Seriously. :amen:

TurboRon25
06-03-2007, 12:22 PM
Am I the only 'rust belt' person that is dying seeing this.
It looks like a show car under the hood.
Is that what fuel lines are supposed to look like?
I haven't seen the case of rust penetrant in any of the pictures. For that matter I didn't even see a single can. No torch to cut off the bolts that are beyond the help of liquid wrench. No one has a furious look on their face as they spray the engine bay with sparks from the cut off wheel. It's like working on a new car.

and they are driven all year round...

Ron

2.216VTurbo
06-03-2007, 12:44 PM
Uggh, I hurt everyfreakinwhere:o The major stuff went pretty smooth as I had some kick a$$ help, nice job gang:thumb: It didn't run yet at 1am when we finally threw in the towel, just need final hookup of airbox, cables, and fluids and it should live again. One thing that amazed all of us were the number of things changed on the 90 car vs the 89!! Considering the two cars look like twins on the outside, they couldn't be more different under the hood. Core support, all the mounts, rad/IC (oh yeah and the 90 has the skimpy 9 row RT IC:( ) wiring harness, lots of brackets are different etc. Even the hood is different!

The things I thought would be no biggie (like the fuel tank swap) took longer than I thought.

Sweet job with the pics Garry, thanks for getting my good side every time:rolleyes: Driveway is still a disaster area and the 90 K frame/struts still needs to get put back into the 89 car Lots to do and the neighbors are keeping a pretty close eye on the progress,:) never had so many curious visitors in one day before, must have told the story a dozen times...

Oh well back at it, at least there are still 8-9 Sparks light and a twelver or so of Coors light:D Guess I am drinking by myself today:o

NeonShowCar
06-03-2007, 01:19 PM
Am I the only 'rust belt' person that is dying seeing this.
It looks like a show car under the hood.
Is that what fuel lines are supposed to look like?
I haven't seen the case of rust penetrant in any of the pictures. For that matter I didn't even see a single can. No torch to cut off the bolts that are beyond the help of liquid wrench. No one has a furious look on their face as they spray the engine bay with sparks from the cut off wheel. It's like working on a new car.

and they are driven all year round...

Ron

Having grown up in PA, then lived in MI for last 13yrs - I know exactly what your talking about. I still can't get over how clean the cars are out here and so damn easy to work on w/o all the rust issues. I believe the exhaust donut bolts were sprayed down with rust penetrant but that was it.

fleckster
06-03-2007, 01:41 PM
You Cali guys kill me! LOL! Most of us midwest people just get our hands dirty. We don't mess with the latex gloves. They usually just slow us down. Besides, that's what Simple Green and Go-Jo is for, right? I'm surprised they let you clean the engine bay out there and not collect the water so it doesn't run off into the sewers. With all the environmental laws out there, I think they even frown on your working on your own car. I know you can't do your own A/C work out there even if you do use R-134a!

Nice progess, Alan! Looks like you had a great team helping. I can hardly wait to see the final pictures and maybe a vid of them both running again!

It's also nice to know that even the Mazi didn't get spared the major and minor changed that happened in '90.

NeonShowCar
06-03-2007, 02:34 PM
You Cali guys kill me! LOL! Most of us midwest people just get our hands dirty. We don't mess with the latex gloves. They usually just slow us down. Besides, that's what Simple Green and Go-Jo is for, right? I'm surprised they let you clean the engine bay out there and not collect the water so it doesn't run off into the sewers. With all the environmental laws out there, I think they even frown on your working on your own car. I know you can't do your own A/C work out there even if you do use R-134a!

I too thought the same thing John. The gloves thing was new to me also. Though I did put some on, but damn your hands sweat like crazy with them on.

You should have seen the neighbors driving by Alan's house all day. The cops even drove by and we were all joking they were gonna stop and say something. Nothing like two cars up on the stands, and engine up in the air on the cherry pickers - and the neighbors rubber necking.

BadAssPerformance
06-03-2007, 02:39 PM
Cops? Looking at the pics I was wondering if you guys got a visit by the evnvirocops when they pull up in their green squad car ;)

2.216VTurbo
06-03-2007, 02:41 PM
I too thought the same thing John. The gloves thing was new to me also. Though I did put some on, but damn your hands sweat like crazy with them on.

You should have seen the neighbors driving by Alan's house all day. The cops even drove by and we were all joking they were gonna stop and say something. Nothing like two cars up on the stands, and engine up in the air on the cherry pickers - and the neighbors rubber necking.

Uh, I guess you had left by the time the FIRE DEPARTMENT came by for and "odor" complaint:bolt: We may have spilled a few gallons of the nasty old varnish fuel down the gutter:o I let the hose run a loooong time but it pooled about 10-12 houses down the street where the road gets flat. No problem in fron of my house with the slope I'm on though:D

I explained to the nice firemen that I had been using a bunch of parts cleaner spray to clean off the K frame (which was still laying at the end of the driveway drying from it's degreasing) They suggested I walk down the street with a sack of kitty litter and absorb the offending puddle:yuck:
Best part was the A team kept right on working while I cleaned toxic waste for an hour:mecry:

BadAssPerformance
06-03-2007, 02:48 PM
Damn Alan, surprized your weren't on the news with the toxic waste spill! ;)

butchsuppe
06-03-2007, 05:03 PM
Hey Alan,

Why can't you schedule these drivetrain swaps during our monthly meetings? With as many people that usually show up you could have it done in about 3 to 4 hours and you can have Applebees cater for you.

BTW- I received your text message earlier today. Glad to hear the clutch arrived safely. :thumb:

Chris-TU

Hell Chris, I could do it in 4 hours by myself.:lol:

GLHNSLHT2
06-03-2007, 05:45 PM
I don't know how you east coast guys deal with that rust. gloves rock when it's cool but can get sweaty. nice to be able to just slip them off and grab some pizza though :)

2.216VTurbo
06-03-2007, 05:53 PM
I don't know how you east coast guys deal with that rust. gloves rock when it's cool but can get sweaty. nice to be able to just slip them off and grab some pizza though :)

We did eat 6 pizzas over the course of the day/night:)

ShelbyMotorsports
06-03-2007, 06:31 PM
We did eat 6 pizzas over the course of the day/night:)

Sorry but Little Cesears is NOT pizza :lol:

You do realize how lucky you were with the FD? I'm guessing they had something else they wanted to do for them to falsify their incident log that no problem was found.

For the folks who don't understand how crazy CALIF can be let me give you an example.

Our cable tv is run underground and in front of everyones house is a inground box where the main street cable branches off to each house. Well every time it would rain this 18" box would fill up with water and the cable modem would go out because of a bad connection in the box.

Had the cable company come out and the tech could not fix the connection because there was water in this box. Basically the protocol was for him to schedule a type of hazmat team to come out and who would test the water for any contaminents before they could drain the water and then the tech could come back for the repair.

Already PO'd because it took days to get this repair visit I notice the tech has a Del Taco soda cup in his vans cupholder and I ask if he's done with it.

He says yes and I ask if I can have it. After him handing me the cup I ask him to turn his back and off I go emptying this in ground box of rain water. Less than a minute later I say all done and would you look at that the rainwater has disappeared so now you can make the repair.

All that for rainwater so you wouldn't believe what the law requires when there is a traffic accident and some anti-freeze leaks onto the pavement.

Aries_Turbo
06-03-2007, 08:43 PM
thats ridiculous! i live in NY which is almost as bad... and yes the DEC Envirocops do get green cop cars. Heres the crazy thing... they have more authority than state police. they can enter into peoples homes without a search warrant if they suspect some kind of pollution and crap like that.

as for rust... winter beaters are the answer. my turbo cars dont get driven in the winter. I romp on a Geo Tracker then. :)

Brian

Turbodave
06-06-2007, 02:07 PM
Cops? Looking at the pics I was wondering if you guys got a visit by the evnvirocops when they pull up in their green squad car ;)

You can't even hear that hybrid prius squad car pull up, extra sneaky.. :lol:

The gloves thing isn't only CA, however. I've started wearing them more often when I'm working in the garage also. I got hooked back when I was servicing Dialysis machines, you don't want to go working on a bloody machine without any gloves on. However, there were so many tiny screws and what-not on those machines you develop a good dexterity for working with them on. No I've got them on most of the time I'm in the garage. It's nice just being able to pull off the gloves and have clean hands. Gotta use the Nitrile ones, Latex doesn't hold up well to grease and oil.

inmyshadow
06-06-2007, 03:06 PM
Man, I miss little caesars pizza.

Its amazing to see how similar the TCs are against Chrysler cars, yet there are tons of differences.

2.216VTurbo
06-06-2007, 03:24 PM
Man, I miss little caesars pizza.

Its amazing to see how similar the TCs are against Chrysler cars, yet there are tons of differences.

We were blown away by the differences just between the 89 and 90 16V cars. So many changes, it's like a different platform...

As far as the differences between the TC's and the other FWD Mopars, we all the the TC's are the finest FWD TD's ever made:amen: :lol: And I'm gonna be preaching the same story till I convert at least a dozen of you... I'm at two converts and counting:D

ShelbyMotorsports
06-06-2007, 03:53 PM
Well is the '90 going to be ready for Thursday?

I'm guessing some of those differences are because of the airbag. Whole different set of crash test standards between 89 & 90.

cordes
06-06-2007, 04:46 PM
We were blown away by the differences just between the 89 and 90 16V cars. So many changes, it's like a different platform...

As far as the differences between the TC's and the other FWD Mopars, we all the the TC's are the finest FWD TD's ever made:amen: :lol: And I'm gonna be preaching the same story till I convert at least a dozen of you... I'm at two converts and counting:D

I will be the first to say that if I could find a decent condition TC with the masi motor in it, I would snap it up given that the person was not looking for a small fortune to trade hands like the ones I have seen in my area in the past.

Vigo
06-06-2007, 10:51 PM
hah, feel free to convert me to TC status as soon as they drop to k-car prices (i.e. a realistic appraisal! :P)

As for the cars... WOW. im very jealous. such rare, unique car and to see two so similar in the same driveway owned by someone whos clearly an enthusiast and cares about things like cleaning the engine bay... it warms my heart. WITH ENVY!! RARRRR!

Also noticed the greasy donut, very funny. :P Coulda picked something that wouldnt show the grease you were eating, but powdered sugar... lol.

2.216VTurbo
06-06-2007, 11:11 PM
Well is the '90 going to be ready for Thursday?

I'm guessing some of those differences are because of the airbag. Whole different set of crash test standards between 89 & 90.

Oh, come on Steve, where's the suprise in that:eyebrows: ?

2.216VTurbo
06-06-2007, 11:18 PM
hah, feel free to convert me to TC status as soon as they drop to k-car prices (i.e. a realistic appraisal! :P)

As for the cars... WOW. im very jealous. such rare, unique car and to see two so similar in the same driveway owned by someone whos clearly an enthusiast and cares about things like cleaning the engine bay... it warms my heart. WITH ENVY!! RARRRR!

Also noticed the greasy donut, very funny. :P Coulda picked something that wouldnt show the grease you were eating, but powdered sugar... lol.

Um there were chocolate donuts too, I was wondering why they went first:lol: Me I just strip off my 'sissy gloves' and presto, clean pizza and donut eating hands.:amen:

By the way to the folks that think the gloves are 'less than manly' Two things, 1) I have earned my living in the operating room for over 20 years now, bad form to put greasy hands inside a patients abdomen or wherever. 2) You guys really think your wives/girlfrinds don't mind when you are touching thier private parts with crusty, greasy hands:( ? I LIKE to keep my wife satisfied and hands and fingers are a big part of that equation:eyebrows:

guyd_15
06-07-2007, 09:26 AM
I didn't used to wear them, after reading the warnings about used oils and skin cancer I wear them 95% of the time.

Guy

moparman76_69
06-08-2007, 08:48 AM
Two things, 1) I have earned my living in the operating room for over 20 years now, bad form to put greasy hands inside a patients abdomen or wherever. 2) You guys really think your wives/girlfrinds don't mind when you are touching thier private parts with crusty, greasy hands:( ? I LIKE to keep my wife satisfied and hands and fingers are a big part of that equation:eyebrows:

Ok 1) you should be wearing gloves before you put your hands inside a patients abdomen. 2) your sex life is need to know information, and I don't need to know

2.216VTurbo
06-09-2007, 01:38 AM
OK, so I finally had time to look back at some of the pics our 'photo guy' for the swap put up... You took some real flattering shots of me Garry, thanks a bunch:rolleyes:

I didn't have my camera out much that day, but I did sneak a shot or two, good thing too. It would be such a shame if one of Chrysler's finest engineers didn't get any camera time...

Here is the McKissick man looking svelte and gettin dirty!:clap2: :wave1:

You go Garry:thumb:

Also Brandon (Shelbypart) Brad and Gale Bank's right hand 'he can make anything work' go to guy for the race trucks, Chuck S. working under the dash on the boost and AF gauges.

And a shot of another hobby of mine when I'm not wrenching...

Vegatable garden on the left cantalope, watermelon, bell peppers, asparagus, 10 kinds of tomatoes. On the right, peach, plum, apricot and some very invasive eucalyptus trees that were getting some much needed topping. So the kids set out their chairs to watch dad climbing around 60' in the air with a chainsaw. Of course mom came out and made them move out of the danger zone. The branches wern't that big, they were having fun dodging them as they fell:lol:

Swart
06-09-2007, 11:29 AM
ahhh can't believe you posted one with my belly hangin out!!

Vigo
06-09-2007, 01:20 PM
haha funny first post. i just stepped off the scale myself tho and im laughing all the way to the gym :(

2.216VTurbo
06-09-2007, 03:24 PM
ahhh can't believe you posted one with my belly hangin out!!

Well at least it finally motivated you to join TM.com:whip: :welcome:

Props to you though Chuck, I despise working under dash (and electrical:yuck: ) you did both and kept a smile on your face. You're a good man:amen:

Now if we knew a bit more about you... Maybe that P body project you are working on, or some shop stories from work. Tell the one about the scrap aluminum pile, that one kills me;) In fact, I'll throw it out there as a question for the gang...

What do you guys suppose the bulk of the 'scrap aluminum pile' at Gale Banks Engineering consists of?? Any guesses?? Free Sparks light at SDAC to the winner:eyebrows:

ShelbyMotorsports
06-09-2007, 03:39 PM
What do you guys suppose the bulk of the 'scrap aluminum pile' at Gale Banks Engineering consists of?? Any guesses?? Free Sparks light at SDAC to the winner

2.2 heads?

86Shelby
06-09-2007, 04:30 PM
Compressor housings.

SoCalCSX
06-09-2007, 04:39 PM
intercoolers?

mcsvt
06-09-2007, 05:34 PM
Heads?

t3rse
06-09-2007, 09:50 PM
so how do you guys dispose of anti freeze out there?

nice looking ride, the key to working under the dash is taking the seats out first...

2.216VTurbo
06-10-2007, 11:10 AM
intercoolers?

The nail on the head:thumb: Remember most of Banks business is 'power packs' for Cummins, Powerstroke and Duramax trucks. First thing those guys usaully do is upgrade the exhaust, chip, injectors and intercoolers.

I asked Chuck about grabbing 'scrap' from the pile, they kind of frown on it. Maybe if I payed the scrap aluminum price:evil: ?

SoCalCSX
06-10-2007, 05:27 PM
Woo Hoo I won! Since I won't be making it to SDAC I need to find somebody to consume my adult beverage for me, any volunteers?:eyebrows:

The nail on the head:thumb: Remember most of Banks business is 'power packs' for Cummins, Powerstroke and Duramax trucks. First thing those guys usaully do is upgrade the exhaust, chip, injectors and intercoolers.

I asked Chuck about grabbing 'scrap' from the pile, they kind of frown on it. Maybe if I payed the scrap aluminum price:evil: ?

Swart
06-17-2007, 11:29 PM
I'll get some pictures of the Shadow project soon.. moving to a new house right now; still in Upland.

Glad to help Alan! Was enjoyable. Thanks for the adult beverage and endless pizza.

Yes the big aluminum pile is intercoolers... there is also an iron pile (mostly exhaust manifolds, stock exhaust systems/mufflers)

Next time you see Garry, ask him about Don Jose's on Friday night. ;)

NeonShowCar
06-17-2007, 11:42 PM
I'll get some pictures of the Shadow project soon.. moving to a new house right now; still in Upland.

Glad to help Alan! Was enjoyable. Thanks for the adult beverage and endless pizza.

Yes the big aluminum pile is intercoolers... there is also an iron pile (mostly exhaust manifolds, stock exhaust systems/mufflers)

Yeah - we wanna see pics of the "Super Shadow" project. :thumb:

Oh and don't remember much of that nite - doh! Had a bad hangover too...

2.216VTurbo
06-18-2007, 12:41 AM

Ah, now I get it, Garry is a binge drinker eh??;) See, I kept offering him beers, Sparks, shots of Jaegermeister whatever the times he has been over but he always seems to politely decline. Usually some story about the long drive and whatnot. So once he gets started on the libations, he doesn't stop eh Chuck:eyebrows: ? My kind of drinker-as long as you have a DD or are within stumbling distance of home:)

So when are we scheduling the TIII to Masi 16V swap for the Rampage, I just happen to have a complete motor ready to drop in:eyebrows:

Dominic
06-18-2007, 08:33 AM
So when are we scheduling the TIII to Masi 16V swap for the Rampage, I just happen to have a complete motor ready to drop in:eyebrows:

Alan, for the low, low price of a round-trip flight, I'd be more than happy to help you guys out :thumb:

2.216VTurbo
06-18-2007, 11:14 AM
Alan, for the low, low price of a round-trip flight, I'd be more than happy to help you guys out :thumb:

Um, how do you feel about a 30 or 40 hour trip on Greyhound bus lines:lol:? You know, you really get to see another side of America on a Greyhound:yuck:

Skibbe
06-18-2007, 11:29 AM
Um there were chocolate donuts too, I was wondering why they went first:lol: Me I just strip off my 'sissy gloves' and presto, clean pizza and donut eating hands.:amen:

By the way to the folks that think the gloves are 'less than manly' Two things, 1) I have earned my living in the operating room for over 20 years now, bad form to put greasy hands inside a patients abdomen or wherever. 2) You guys really think your wives/girlfrinds don't mind when you are touching thier private parts with crusty, greasy hands:( ? I LIKE to keep my wife satisfied and hands and fingers are a big part of that equation:eyebrows:

Ok, the gloves are only half girly. But the pink engine hoist is 100%. :lol:

2.216VTurbo
06-18-2007, 03:30 PM
Ok, the gloves are only half girly. But the pink engine hoist is 100%. :lol:

Get your eyes checked! That's Hemi Orange that has sat in the sun on the side yard for like 10 years:p :lol: I keep the hydraulic ram in the garage though so it's still got some purty to it:D .