PDA

View Full Version : Garrett Disassembly

riceboyler
12-21-2005, 10:14 AM
This past weekend, I began tearing the head from my old Omni apart, and as the turbo only had about 3000 miles on it since a rebuild.

I was able to get the compressor side housing off very easily and checked for play (which there was none) but when trying to get the hot side off, it didn't want to come off after removing all of the hardware. Additionally, I found that the previous owner had broken 3 of the 6 swingvalve bolts off (and I snapped another 1), so I'm trying to get the exhaust housing off entirely so I can swap this center section into the housings on my current CSX as the bearings have started to get a bit noisy.

What am I missing here? Why will the exhaust side housing not break free? Is there some hidden bolt I don't know of or is it just due to the heat. Honestly, this is my first time EVER disassembling a turbo, so any help would be very welcome. I might add that the simplicity of this thing is overwhelming. It's amazing more cars don't use turbos.

GLHS592
12-21-2005, 10:26 AM
If it's so simple, then why haven't you gotten it apart? :)

Seriously, heat and rust are common problems. Are you sure you have all the bolts out? You might have to take some penatrating oil and a rubber mallet to it.

DodgeZ
12-21-2005, 10:30 AM
This past weekend, I began tearing the head from my old Omni apart, and as the turbo only had about 3000 miles on it since a rebuild.

I was able to get the compressor side housing off very easily and checked for play (which there was none) but when trying to get the hot side off, it didn't want to come off after removing all of the hardware. Additionally, I found that the previous owner had broken 3 of the 6 swingvalve bolts off (and I snapped another 1), so I'm trying to get the exhaust housing off entirely so I can swap this center section into the housings on my current CSX as the bearings have started to get a bit noisy.

What am I missing here? Why will the exhaust side housing not break free? Is there some hidden bolt I don't know of or is it just due to the heat. Honestly, this is my first time EVER disassembling a turbo, so any help would be very welcome. I might add that the simplicity of this thing is overwhelming. It's amazing more cars don't use turbos.

I was working on an FAQ for this. So far I only have pictures. http://boostedmopar.com/forums/images/faq/turbo/turbo_tear_down/
vice grips and pb blaster are your friends!

riceboyler
12-21-2005, 10:35 AM
Yeah, I actually bought two cans of PB Blaster this past weekend. I'll have to use it. :D

(BTW, thanks for the email last night!)

TurboGLH
12-21-2005, 11:25 AM
HEAT HEAT HEAT......If you have access to a set of oxy/acetylene torches or even a map gas torch it will come apart 10x faster and without broken bolts. Just start on one bolt, heat up the housing around it till it glows a slight shade of red, then try and move the bolt a bit. If it's still difficult, heat it up again, not so much this time, and spray the head of the bolt with whatever rust penetrant your using, do this three of four times then heat it to red again and try breaking it loose. It will come apart like this, works every time, and if you show some patience it will not break bolts.

cordes
12-21-2005, 01:07 PM
I would guess that the reason you cant get the SV off is because you missed the bolt inside of it. Look through where the exhaust bolts up, and you will see the bolt in there.

+1 for the heat if that is not the case.

Go slowly but surly when pulling off the turbine housing. Use the bolts to separate the housing from the center section. only turn them 1/4 turn at a time each, so you don't bind the housing on the turbine wheel, and mess it up.

Good luck.

riceboyler
12-21-2005, 01:11 PM
Thanks!

iniviate
12-23-2005, 09:50 PM
are you trying to remove the SV or the Turbine housing?

if the SV, it's probably the bolt that cordes mentioned.

if you have the SV off and are trying to get the turbine housing off, you will have to take the compressor wheel off first. then you can slide the turbine wheel and shaft out the turbine housing. then you can undo the bolts holding the turbine housing to the center section, so it can come apart.

be very careful removing the nut holding the compressor wheel on. it's very easy to put side loading on the shaft and bend it. i used a T Handle instead of a ratchet to try and add pressure equally to the shaft. you'll also want to take note of where the compressor wheel is clocked on the shaft.

it's ghetto turbo rebuilding.... but i've had good luck at it.

iniviate
12-23-2005, 09:56 PM
hrmm... i looked over dodgez's pics and found this.

http://boostedmopar.com/forums/images/faq/turbo/turbo_tear_down/17.jpg

i'm pretty sure i had to remove the shaft from the center section before i could get the turbine housing off. apparently i was wrong.

turbovanmanČ
12-23-2005, 10:33 PM
Yep, you don't need to dissasemble the turbo to get the turbine assembly off, remove the bolts and band straps, then as stated, bang, heat and bang to get the turbine housing off.