PDA

View Full Version : EGT gauge

Dave
01-31-2006, 08:58 AM
Okay I bought an EGT gauge from Summit last weekend and I asked for a 2,000* one and I GUESS all they had was what I got, which is one that goes up to 1,600*. Will this be enough? Or should I pursue to get one that goes to 2,000*?

Also it came with a long probe, I've heard it best to put it in the #3 cylinder side of the exhaust manifold, as this is the hottest cylinder due to coolant flow. Can anyone verify?

Thanks!

Frank
01-31-2006, 09:03 AM
The coolant flow is only a theory people had that I dont agree with. But the point is that my 4 probe setup said #3 was hotest. However because of the long probe, just put it in #4, you will be fine. Because honestly, if you are pushing to 1600degF, then you are sacrificing the reliability of the valves and seals. I personally recommend that you keep your tune such that you EGT's dont go past 1400-1450. Then you never have to worry about #3 being hotter. Yes you may make a few hp more with it being slighly leaner, but you wont notice it on the track, and your car will love you more.

Frank

Diabloed
01-31-2006, 08:27 PM
http://www.autometer.com/img/products/4345_d.jpg

This is the one I just ordered from Summitracing.com I had to call them to order it. They weren't even sure they could get it, one call to autometer was all they needed.

I too took in advisement of frank and others using four probes, and put mine in the #3. I didn't have any problems with the size of probe that it came with.

I personally went with the 2000* because if it did by chance go over 1600* I wanted to know by how much!

cordes
01-31-2006, 10:23 PM
If it is an autometer gauge, I put that long probe in there, and it barely fits between the block and the #3 runner, but it can be done.

Omnious
02-01-2006, 07:30 AM
what is the downside of installing the probe near the turbo flange, so the exhaust from all 4 run into it ?

I have not seen anyone recomend this. Just wondering why.

Clay
02-01-2006, 08:57 AM
You will see a lower overall temp there vs. the temp in the #3 runner due to the exhaust gases mixing. It *could* make you more prone to issues, especially if number 3 is running at 1550, and your reading 1400.

Dave
02-01-2006, 09:02 AM
So install it at #4 runner and don't go over 1,400*? I am running stock valves and forged pistons so I dont want to sacrifice anything.