PDA

View Full Version : 88 daytona turbo, car has not been run in 8 years,is turbo gonna be ok?

ChefMax
05-30-2007, 11:06 AM
I recently received a 1988 Daytona Pacifica, 71,000 miles, hasn't run in 8 years, i know i should change oil, belts, replace gas tank etc... but, what about the turbo? What should i do to it before trying to start the car?

Turbodave
05-30-2007, 11:22 AM
You're already on the right path with changin the fluids, only other thing I recommend is that before you start it for the first time is to get the oil system all primed up.

To do that, fill the filter with oil before you install it (some will spill when you put it on, no big deal). Then once the oil is filled unplug the two round connectors on coming off the distributor, this will prevent the engine from getting fuel/spark. Crank it over until you see the pressure come up on the gauge. Reconnect the distributor and it should be good to go.

Where-abouts in WI are you? I live just south of the border in IL.

looneytuner
05-30-2007, 11:51 AM
Here is a brief run down on Lazy Larry. 85 GTS that sat outside for 10 years. It has 85,000 miles. Fuel pump was seized, fuel lines rusted out, brakes and hoses bad, #4 intake valve was sluggish and was throwing the follower (I figured out a way to free it with the head on the car. #4 must have been open during the 10 years and had surface rust on the stem.), and NOW the head gasket went. It has MAYBE 1 hour running time in 2 minute spurts till the next thing went bad.
So to save time, pull the head and get it checked and check the turbo at the same time. Since you are replacing the belts, prime the pump with a drill on the intermediate shaft before installing the timing belt. Soak the fuel rail and injectors in ? The thermostat gasket is also seeping.
Sounds like a lot, but is easier to do it right.
Some optional things are port the exhaust mani while it is off and drill for egt. You can plug the hole for now and won't have to pull it apart later. That just takes a 9.95 air grinder from Harbour Freight and a couple stones and a couple hours. Have a machine shop drill and tap the hole in #4.
When replacing the flex brake lines remember to remove from the caliper first the rotate the FLEX line off the steel line. (The nut is seized on the steel line. Once it's off, you can coax the nut free from the steel line.) Otherwise you will be looking at the broken/twisted steel line thinking "How dumb can I get?" BTDT (been there done that) Have fun!! :)

I also sprayed a generous amount of PB Blaster in all the cylinders before rotating the engine in case the rings were stuck or there was surface rust in the cylinders. It had 150 psi with a cold engine when checked.

ShelbyZD
05-30-2007, 02:45 PM
I also sprayed a generous amount of PB Blaster in all the cylinders before rotating the engine in case the rings were stuck or there was surface rust in the cylinders

Probably can't emphasize that enough.. That is most likely the biggest problem you *may* have with an engine sitting that long. Rust Check works good too.

RattFink
05-30-2007, 02:55 PM
I bought a 1991 shelby daytona with 89,000 miles on it that had been sitting for 6 years. All I did was change all the fluids and give it a tune up. I didn't even put any new belts on it. I drove it for about 4 months and didn't have any problems with it.

ChefMax
05-31-2007, 08:50 AM
just prime oil system is all the turbo is gonna need before starting? I'm in northern Wi, Rhinelander area

Turbodave
05-31-2007, 11:12 AM
There isn't much more you can do as far as the turbo is concerned besides prime it with oil and cross your fingers.

mark
05-31-2007, 11:58 AM
you can try priming it like mentioned, but i would remove the spark plugs from the head for less resistance on the parts that have been sitting for so long...

im not sure how coolant comes back alive when hardened or whatever, but when i tore down my car that was sitting for some years, the cooland lines in/out of the turbo were caked up with dried up coolant and crap...

tryingbe
06-02-2007, 11:47 AM
If the turbo is bad, it's bad. Nothing you can do at this point can save it, other than rebuilding it.