PDA

View Full Version : Last night at Burlington Coat Factory

3Bar_Mopar
05-27-2007, 07:58 PM
Well, I'm bored to death and I hear that everyone hangs out at the Burlington Coat Factory parking lot on Sat nights. I cruise over and sure enough, the lot is packed with ricers, some impressive imports and even a 50's style "gasser", complete with headers exiting the front wheel wells.
I park next to a turbo S2000 with a giant front mount in a line of about 5 cars.

Immediately a crowd forms and starts looking over my car. Some skinny dude who looks like that kid from the movie The New Guy comes over and says something like "hey, I saw another Mopar and I had to come say hi.".
I ask about his car, and it's the little black 1st gen Neon parked next to a lowered green Civic. His car is a gutted, turbo'd 1st gen 2 liter DOHC car running Megasquirt. I'm impressed....no radio, no speakers, heck..no carpet! The thing is stripped!! The kid introduces himself as "Monday"...I've heard of him, but never met him....he's friends with my SRT buddies.

After a while of BSing, a gaggle of the more serious cars start to leave...an EVO, a couple WRX's a 240, an SS Camaro, a Turbo MR2 with red wheels...
Monday asks if I want to go driving, I'm low on gas, not to mention broke plus my car won't be able to keep up with most of these cars....so I decline. He then offers for me to ride with him. I grab my phone from the car and we take off.
His transmission whines through the gears and we buck and herkyjerk along with a not so stock clutch as he shifts. His turbo is silent next to his open downpipe. We catch the guy in the green lowered Civic, Vince, and I find out his car is turbocharged as well. His car is not riced at all....just lowered with bronze wheels...16's from the look of it.
Vince nails it...his car is deafening and his tires go up in smoke from a 40 MPH roll, then rockets off. Vince races the yellow MR2 with red wheels and the Civic walks him hard.

Monday is talking about his 2 step launch control and is itching to get someone from a dig. After a while of no luck, he just races no one from a light to about 70. My neck snapped back once in 2nd gear and his drag radials are just clawing at the pavement, the front of his car can't eat the road fast enough. This thing just pulls so freaking hard...he tells me it's easily a high 11 sec car...it feels like one.
We get a run with Vince and pull him by 2 cars to 90...impressive the civic stayed with him.

We find a white WRX with a GT30 and Spearco cooler and play a bit with it...he's a no contest.

The best race of the night has to be the chick in a white Hyundai Tibby...she's floored from the light the whole time, Monday is babying it to stay next to her, then he gooses it and puts about 3 cars on her like nothing....she pulls up to the next light a flips us off....sore loser! lmao!
Most fun I've had in a while....my neck is kinda sore from being snapped back so many times!

:thumb:

Vigo
05-31-2007, 08:05 PM
youd think 1st gen neons would just be everywhere for like 800 bucks.. but ive yet to find one. i definitely need one tho..

good story.

Mopar_Nutz
05-31-2007, 08:13 PM
Sounds like a wicked time. Tell me thats not a fair bit of motivation though eh?

Speedeuphoria
06-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Monday went to the track recently and ran 12.00@118. Hes still has it rich and on low boost. Its a nicely done car, needs traction as you said.

I watch his project log on neons.org
http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t=255537&highlight=

3Bar_Mopar
06-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Monday went to the track recently and ran 12.00@118. Hes still has it rich and on low boost. Its a nicely done car, needs traction as you said.

I watch his project log on neons.org
http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t=255537&highlight=

His two step really works well....launches in 1st had very little wheelspin and none after....very quick car for sure.

TurbododgePirate
06-11-2007, 03:29 PM
youd think 1st gen neons would just be everywhere for like 800 bucks.. but ive yet to find one. i definitely need one tho..

good story.

I have a first gen RT coupe forsale.... $2500 but you get what you pay for. :)

RJ138
06-11-2007, 10:33 PM
Two steps are fun! My buddy had one in his WRX, we set it up so he would launch with around 8 lbs of boost at 5500 RPM. The tires would be on the verge of blowing lose and sometimes they did...:nod: Its was hilarious watching Mustangs and other cars just give up after the launch, we would put numerous car lengths on most RWD/FWD cars on the street.

I will probably set one up in my R/T eventually, but probably won't be the anything like the AWD launch.:(