PDA

View Full Version : Rhoads Lifters?

ssheen
01-31-2006, 01:08 AM
Anyone try out Rhoads lifters? They are a variable lift lash adjuster, based on RPM. Suppose to take away some duration and lift at lower RPM levels. What you think? :bump2:

http://www.rhoadsproducts.com/

JeremyL
01-31-2006, 03:01 AM
Used 'em in V8's a couple of times. They work alright if you've got a lumpy cam & want to tame it down a bit. They're noisy, almost like a solid lifter from the bleeding down they do at low rpm.

ssheen
01-31-2006, 11:54 AM
sounds like they would not be necessary with the stock cams, but perhaps with a more aggressive one then?

JeremyL
01-31-2006, 01:07 PM
no I wouldn't run 'em on a stock cam.

turbovanmanČ
01-31-2006, 01:59 PM
Do they even make them for TD's? better money is using PT lifters and having Paul dial the lump out, :thumb:

8valves
01-31-2006, 02:58 PM
Do they even make them for TD's? better money is using PT lifters and having Paul dial the lump out, :thumb:

Blasphemy! I've heard about enough of this "tune the lumpiness out"... leave it in, it's so much cooler! :eyebrows:

Aaron Miller

turbovanmanČ
01-31-2006, 02:59 PM
Blasphemy! I've heard about enough of this "tune the lumpiness out"... leave it in, it's so much cooler! :eyebrows:

Aaron Miller

Hehehehee, :p

ssheen
01-31-2006, 08:29 PM
I heard the 2.4L guys use them. I believe they sent the lifters in and Rhodes modified them.

glhs875
01-31-2006, 09:25 PM

Aaron Miller

AMEN! I like a racy idle! I really like it when my car surges up and down, kinda like a supercharged car can do.

oldgregg
02-01-2006, 09:00 PM
Blasphemy! I've heard about enough of this "tune the lumpiness out"... leave it in, it's so much cooler! :eyebrows:Back "in the day" a lumpy idle was cool.
Now the "in" thing is tuning for a smooth idle.

Keeps the "sleeper" effect going.

turbovanmanČ
02-01-2006, 09:02 PM
If this wasn't my DD, I would love a rumpy idle. Unfortunatly, a rough idle gets old fast when you drive it everyday, especially an auto.

GLHS377
02-02-2006, 12:58 PM
i don't buy it.
especially for the 8v.
even the super60 cams can be smoothed out with proper A/F and spark map tuning. it's not like our heads can even support ridiculous cams, and on a 2.2, i'd be worried about oiling impact in the rest of the system as well as removing all the extra oil from the topend, which can already be an issue. let alone it just won't work on in a non-adjustable valvetrain like the 8v, what happens when your lifter isn't pumping up? very hard starting, rocker arms flying off. valves not opening. horrible clacking at the best. on a turbo engine, you want as much exhaust mass flow as possible at low rpm to spool the turbo.

extra power down low? does an 8v need that? the real advantage theyre getting with the rhoades lifters is right there in the adjustment procedure. yeah they dont' pump up at low rpm, but they significantly change valvetrain geometry. though possibly for the worst. their test setup is sketchy, in that they report valve float at 6100 rpm benig fixed by a lifter. maybe, since valve float is an interaction of cam profiles but mainly vavletrain mass and spring resonance, i think similar results could be achieved with a slightly smaller cam. maybe one with less exhaust bias. or maybe even just less oil pressure and the stock lifters. the stock lifters were designed for 40psi of pressure, offcourse they'll be losing power, the valves wont' be fully closed or be damped by the lifter at high rpm when the oil pressure is highest. that's way to run a solid lifter in a hydraulic cam engine. tune the valve lash on that stock lifter properly and you'll have the same effects.
-jason

8valves
02-02-2006, 02:00 PM
i don't buy it.
especially for the 8v.
even the super60 cams can be smoothed out with proper A/F and spark map tuning. it's not like our heads can even support ridiculous cams, and on a 2.2, i'd be worried about oiling impact in the rest of the system as well as removing all the extra oil from the topend, which can already be an issue. let alone it just won't work on in a non-adjustable valvetrain like the 8v, what happens when your lifter isn't pumping up? very hard starting, rocker arms flying off. valves not opening. horrible clacking at the best. on a turbo engine, you want as much exhaust mass flow as possible at low rpm to spool the turbo.

extra power down low? does an 8v need that? the real advantage theyre getting with the rhoades lifters is right there in the adjustment procedure. yeah they dont' pump up at low rpm, but they significantly change valvetrain geometry. though possibly for the worst. their test setup is sketchy, in that they report valve float at 6100 rpm benig fixed by a lifter. maybe, since valve float is an interaction of cam profiles but mainly vavletrain mass and spring resonance, i think similar results could be achieved with a slightly smaller cam. maybe one with less exhaust bias. or maybe even just less oil pressure and the stock lifters. the stock lifters were designed for 40psi of pressure, offcourse they'll be losing power, the valves wont' be fully closed or be damped by the lifter at high rpm when the oil pressure is highest. that's way to run a solid lifter in a hydraulic cam engine. tune the valve lash on that stock lifter properly and you'll have the same effects.
-jason

Good information there, thanks.

Aaron Miller

Rick
11-17-2008, 05:59 PM
I know this is a old thread but it has some interesting info on the Rhoads lifters.

My 84 SC had them installed back in 86 when it was fitted with a nicely built 2.5 tall deck. The cars original owner told me the car has the 3rd or 4th set of Rhoads lifters ever built for the 2.2/2.5's. Does anyone else have a set of these in their 2.2/2.5? Was there only a handful made??

My complaint with them is the fact they are very noisy under a load until the car warms up/driven for about 1/2 mile. When cold the car lopes nicely...when warmed up it idles smooth and quiet. I know there is a purple MP cam in the car but I have yet to research which specific cam it is.

The engine was put in when the car had around 16k on it. Now the car shows just over 50k.

"Top Fuel" Bender
11-17-2008, 09:41 PM
I. Does anyone else have a set of these in their 2.2/2.5? Was there only a handful made??

My complaint with them is the fact they are very noisy under a load until the car warms up/driven for about 1/2 mile. When cold the car lopes nicely...when warmed up it idles smooth and quiet. I know there is a purple MP cam in the car but I have yet to research which specific cam it is.

Had them in my omni for 10 years , went 11.04 with them in on a super 60 cam
took everything out for a Menagon big stick (roller)
not much noise but lopey when cold till the coolant temp kicked in