PDA

View Full Version : new guy...with a 2.5 to 2.2 question

imthegr8_1
05-25-2007, 08:59 PM
now, i probably shouldnt be asking anything yet, as the car is not in my posession, nor do i know what year 2.2 was put in...but the car is a 1989 5-speed turbo Daytona...my uncle cracked the block on the 2.5 that was in it, and replaced it with a 2.2. When he did it wouldnt go more than 30mph and was running PIG RICH...now, the car has been sitting in a garage for the past 10 years because he hasn't had the time or money to mess with it. Well my GTP just had a trans failure...so my uncle suggested i take the Daytona out of that garage and try to get it running. So what im asking is, what all needs to be changed going from a 2.5 to a 2.2...b/c by the sounds of it...he just dropped the 2.2 in and went. TIA

Steve

mcsvt
05-25-2007, 09:08 PM
Main thing that comes to mind is the computer. Timing curves and fuel curves are different between the two motors.

89 = SMEC not sure if there were 2.2L SMEC other then the T-II or not but that's one thing you would need.

imthegr8_1
05-25-2007, 09:10 PM
ok...so would i have to replace the whole computer...or just buy a 2.2 memcal?

turbovanmanČ
05-25-2007, 09:12 PM
You can buy the proper computer or have your computers chip removed, the board socketed and a custom chip installed. The first option is the easiest.

imthegr8_1
05-25-2007, 09:18 PM
ok....so now...where can i buy complete/proper computers from?

did a quick search at autozone and got nothing...thanks guys

Directconnection
05-25-2007, 09:58 PM
Buy a used T-II SMEC (SMEC is 1988 and 1989 only) which was designed for only the intercooler T-II 2.2 cars. The 2.5 injecotrs are the same, but the T-II computer uses a CTS which may need to be installed since the computer is looking up it's values. Nothing too difficult.

GLHNSLHT2
05-25-2007, 10:59 PM
I'd check the basic's 1st. timing, vacuum lines, etc. A 2.5 ECU should be ok on a 2.2 at least to drive around fine on. Not ideal but it should work. Once it's running then worry about the ECU. Or find a 2.5 to put back in :)

Jasmeleg08
05-26-2007, 12:29 AM
Chances are it is a turbo 1 car due to being a 2.5. You might want to get just a 2.2 turbo 1 SMEC thus you won't have to rig anything up. Just should plug and play. Yeah so look at all the VAC lines and pretty much while you are at it just rerun them. Chances are they are already a mess and it will make your life easier to just redo them. After that look at cam and ignition timing. From what it sounds like it is just the 2.5 SMEC is just way over loading it up with fuel. Could also be a sensor bad causing it to go into Limp -in mode. Also check for codes.

Turbodave
05-29-2007, 05:00 PM
I've driven my van with a 2.2 running on a 2.5 computer for many years and runs fine, a little doggy when it's cold, but once it gets warmed up the 02 feedback takes over and it compensates fine. Again, not the ideal setup, but it's not that bad either.

If it's running pig rich and won't go over 30mph there is probably something more wrong with it than the computer.

MiniMopar
05-29-2007, 05:05 PM
Yeah...sounds like the cam timing is off a tooth or two.

imthegr8_1
05-29-2007, 06:42 PM
alright...i have a major feeling that he didnt have all the vacuum lines hooked up correctly, so when i get it down here, i will do my best to replace all the vacuum lines. anyone know where i can buy the full set?..or is this something i have to get from the junkyard piece by piece?