PDA

View Full Version : turbo timer

86shelby15psi
01-30-2006, 11:27 PM
which turbo timer does everyone use?are they hard to hook up?and do u really need one

cordes
01-30-2006, 11:31 PM
With out water going to the turbo, I would run one so that you don't have to sit in the car while it cools down.

They should not be too bad to hook up with some basic knowledge of electrical from what I have read.

tryingbe
01-31-2006, 11:02 PM
Turbo timers are worthless to me.

I want to leave my car in gear.

turbomopar87
02-01-2006, 12:56 AM
my turbo timer is my key pulls out of the ignition. so i get out, lock it up, go in the store for 5 mins, and come back and i'm good to go. If i am on a hill turbo timers are worthless to me also...my daytonas e-brake doesnt work.

But as for intsallation, me and a buddy put one in my friends S4...fairly simple, just followed the paper that came with it.

Tony Hanna
02-01-2006, 01:13 AM
From everything I've read, it's not a must-have item on a car with a water cooled turbo. It's still a good idea to let it idle for awhile if you've been beating on it though.

tryingbe
02-01-2006, 01:30 AM
I drive with my t-tops down when I can.

I stop, put my t-tops away, shut the car off and leave it in gear. Good enough for me.

Mario
02-05-2006, 12:57 PM
Drive in vacuum for the last 5 minutes of your trip. :thumb: (Old Gus tip)

butchsuppe
02-05-2006, 01:26 PM
I,ve got 253,000 miles on my turbo, still works great (garret t3 ) never had a timer+ never wil. Motor has seen LOTS of fresh oil due to leaks. what do you expect, 253,000 mi, on orginal bottom end as well. 86 Lazer- Converted to 89 T2 + 17psi

bn880
02-05-2006, 01:38 PM
Well I wouldn't say it's completely worthless. What if you just HAVE to drive fast on a warm day, to get somewhere, work/meeting/ etc... you never know. :thumb: Don't want the head warping either.

I'm probably going to get one of those alarms with a built in "shutdown/turbo timer". Kill 3 birds with one stone; alarm, remote start, cool down. (all important where I live)

And Gus, well, he actually fried his engine once after he had to shut down fast after some spirited driving. Maybe if he had one of those turbo timers he wouldn't have had to rebuild. :p Who knows... too bad he's not here with us anymore. :(

Regards

tryingbe
02-06-2006, 01:20 AM
Warm?

I live in AZ.. 120 degree is normal for a summer day. I have a manual fan switch connected to a thermostat, I just leave the button on and let the thermostat to decide to turn the fan on or off.

bn880
02-06-2006, 12:01 PM
Replace warm with HOT then, we get some decent heat here in Ottawa too, especially summer traffic. I wouldn't want to be stuck in traffic in 120 degree heat though...

Stinkbox
02-07-2006, 05:19 PM
i was thinking of buying this no name one in either a summit or jegs add. it is $99 but it is a timer, a digital voltmeter and a digital tach with a programmable external shift light. sounds good to me.

altered7151
02-07-2006, 05:58 PM
I think they're a good idea. They cant be bad. I know there was a couple times I came home, left my car idling in the driveway to cool while I went inside, only to get distracted and remember 30 minutes later. Plus if you're in a hurry to get somewhere you dont have time to sit in your car for 1-2 minutes (or longer) to let it cool. I always thought it was funny that people would drop 700-800 bucks on a hybrid turbo, then think it was too costly for a turbo timer to make it last. Maybe you guys should look into fixing your e-brakes too. :D

91DSX
02-08-2006, 02:11 PM
I have an Apexi turbo timer which has three really cool functions; displays actual o2 voltage or converts it into an A/F ratio, a digital voltmeter, and of course the turbo timer function itself.

afsautoworx
02-10-2006, 03:18 AM
Maybe you guys should look into fixing your e-brakes too. :nod:

How can u get your car inspected without the ebrake working. Is this only in maine

altered7151
02-10-2006, 12:08 PM
:nod:

How can u get your car inspected without the ebrake working. Is this only in maine

Most states dont require an inspection, we just require a smog here.

chilort
06-07-2007, 01:43 PM
I know this is an old thread, but ...

Is there any advantage at all to the fan staying on. I do not like the idea of turbo timer since my e-brake is also questionable and my drive way is very steep. I'm just wondering if there is enough natural circulation of the antifreeze as it heats and cools that simply having the fan on would be helpful. I guess the idea is to also have the oil flowing too...

My fan is so loud (sounds like a bearing failure) that I know when it is on and leave the car on until it goes off. But once the fan fails and I have to install a new one, I doubt I'll be able to hear it as well and will need to install a "fan on" dummy light or something.

overlordsshadow
06-07-2007, 01:58 PM
mmm This is makine me worry about my non water cooled non timered turbo... Now really thinking about the hoodscoop to get air back there.

cordes
06-07-2007, 02:43 PM
I don't really see too much advantage in keeping the fan on after the car is shiut down for the turbo anyway.

SL#189
06-07-2007, 03:24 PM
I have read somewhere that "stock" Turbo Mopar's coolant continues to flow by convection (not sure that's the correct term since it's used mostly in reference to air) after the car is shut off.

I still run my car through (at least) one fan cycle when I park if I've been flogging it though.

karlak
06-07-2007, 04:18 PM
good clean oil is the most important thing for your turbo.

Orangetona
06-07-2007, 05:29 PM
Pretty much they are useless to me also. Just sit in your car for a couple minutes then shut it off and you're done. Or, drive like a normal person before stopping to turn the car off.

chilort
06-08-2007, 07:58 PM
I usually drive it like I stole the thing trying to get into downtown Atlanta to make sure I don't miss a class or a meeting. I drive into a parking garage so as I go up the levels I've decided I'll try to stay out of boost, no matter how much I like to hear the sound of the turbo spooling up in the echo of the parking garage. Sometimes I have the t-tops out. I'd been keeping the fun running, but if that doesn't do much, then I guess I'll just let it run while I put the tops in. I also generally idle around my neighborhood, so on the way home I'm good.