PDA

View Full Version : Best Sounding Muffler

SpoolinGLH
05-23-2007, 11:26 PM
Alright I KNOW this has been brought up 1000 times. I want a sound comparible to an srt-4 but I also don't want it to restriced my 3" exhaust.....what are some ideas?

gvare001
05-23-2007, 11:41 PM
Are you talking about that nice gurgling or burbling when idleing, or the raspy open Throttle sound. I've never being able to duplicate that sound on an 8V TD.

Dave
05-23-2007, 11:56 PM
The best sound is an open straight pipe. :thumb: If you want an SRT4 sound get an SRT4 exhaust.

shelby zed
05-24-2007, 02:24 AM
i just put a straight through 3 inch magnaflow on my car, it sounds good

Ondonti
05-24-2007, 02:47 AM
Hmmm Chris Grimm talked me into getting a borla xr-1 for my "2nd" muffler after the ultraflo...and Im not sure I like it. haven't heard it yet but its got some weird stuff welded into the flowpath to make it quieter (i think)

SpoolinGLH
05-24-2007, 10:49 AM
Yeh Im looking for a nice gurgling at idle...but loud when i get on it...

overlordsshadow
05-24-2007, 11:40 AM
I just run a straight pipe. My cutout will be done this weekend, hopefully installed tommorow. I'll try to make a sound clip if you want.

Frank
05-24-2007, 11:48 AM
Magnaflow.... no questions. Two mufflers never sounds good imho. The bullets and the dynamx ultras sound to metal raspy.

Frank

mcsvt
05-24-2007, 12:37 PM
I have a 3" cat after the DP then a glasspack before the tip. Nice gurgle and plently loud when I want it to be. Cheap yet effective solution.

SpoolinGLH
05-24-2007, 01:33 PM
Which magnaflow muffler is the best for clearance on a omni...

Millerman340
05-24-2007, 08:14 PM
Magnaflow! I put a 3" on mine & it sounds much deeper . no drone:thumb:

Ondonti
05-24-2007, 09:58 PM
Magnaflow.... no questions. Two mufflers never sounds good imho. The bullets and the dynamx ultras sound to metal raspy.

Frank

um, my car is way to loud under boost to run just 1 muffler.
Rather have it sound like crap then get a headache after getting into boost.

Millerman340
05-24-2007, 10:12 PM
The Holset drowns out the exhaust under boost, All I hear is Hissssing!:eyebrows:

TonaChris
05-25-2007, 08:35 AM
Im just going to start building my own :D I havent put one on ours cars yet, but the one I put on my intrepid sounded great! Got alot of compliments on how it sounded.

Subliminal
05-25-2007, 08:47 AM
I've got the flowmaster super 40 (which is their 'race' muffler) on my car (3") and I think it sounds pretty good....pretty bubbly on deceleration, but all in all a nice sound.

dds78910
05-25-2007, 08:47 AM
The Holset drowns out the exhaust under boost, All I hear is Hissssing!:eyebrows:

When I had the stock Mitsu turbo on my car with the Magnaflow muffler it did the same think. It sounds really nice!:nod:

Jasmeleg08
05-26-2007, 03:26 PM
I have a magnaflow 2.5" on my car and it sounds amazing. Very pleased. No rasp just a smooth straight tone. Very nice when just going around the city nothing too bad. NO drone what so ever. And mine is side exit right behind the drivers door. I would recommend it 100%.

turbovanmanČ
05-26-2007, 04:59 PM
I've got the flowmaster super 40 (which is their 'race' muffler) on my car (3") and I think it sounds pretty good....pretty bubbly on deceleration, but all in all a nice sound.

Yeah, they sound good, had many comments on my van when I ran one. :nod: :thumb:

Mopar_Nutz
05-26-2007, 06:09 PM
Nothing beats open pipes at idle. Sounds so mean. But as soon as you get into it, it sounds like crap. The Magnaflow seems to do an awesome job at taking most of the rasp and cackle out of the exhaust leaving a much smoother, deeper note.
I don't hear many super 40's. Most of them are on small block chevs and I'm rarely anywhere near their rear bumpers ;)

dds78910
05-26-2007, 06:55 PM
Doesnt the super40 still have a chamber system inside and not straight through?

turbovanmanČ
05-26-2007, 07:36 PM
Doesnt the super40 still have a chamber system inside and not straight through?

Yes. I dyoed it on the dyno with and without and didn't lose that much. Wish I knew where the dyno charts were.

I did back to back between the Magnaflow and Super40 on the street, driving around. I would rip around, come back, swap and go back out. I found the Super40 had less lag and was peppier around town but the top end hit wasn't as strong. The Magnaflow was softer down low but hit harder up top.

Speedeuphoria
05-26-2007, 10:06 PM
I just picked up a Borla XR-1 today to go where the cat would go, has the metal inside like Ondonti said. It deffinately has a mellower tone to it which is good, wanted the Magnaflow and its cheaper but the place I went to only had theese in the size I needed and I have 3 days off so needed to get things together.

87glhs232
05-27-2007, 01:57 AM
I'm loving my 3" Magnaflo. Gave me the exact sound you seem to be looking for.

SpoolinGLH
05-27-2007, 12:53 PM
I'm loving my 3" Magnaflo. Gave me the exact sound you seem to be looking for.

Ill be defintaly going with the magnaflow....:thumb:

Birddog
05-27-2007, 06:31 PM
Good call!

Ondonti
05-27-2007, 07:27 PM
I just picked up a Borla XR-1 today to go where the cat would go, has the metal inside like Ondonti said. It deffinately has a mellower tone to it which is good, wanted the Magnaflow and its cheaper but the place I went to only had theese in the size I needed and I have 3 days off so needed to get things together.

Any sound clips?
What do you mean by mellow?
I will have an ultraflow and then an xr-1 in series but, currently with the ultraflow you really cant tell the engine even has a muffler unless you heard it without. I hope dumping the exhaust out the rear bumper will be much quieter then dumping it under the car with no side exit.

amcpacer
05-27-2007, 11:43 PM
I have a 2.5 High flow catalyst in the down pipe right after the turbo, and a 2.5 magnaflow straight through where the original catalyst used to be all exiting out the side. What an awesome sound I always get compilaments. It is a soft but clear sound. The sound of the turbo comes through quite well. The engine at idle and cruise is very quiet and you can pick out the individual sounds of each cylinder. When the wastegate opens as boost comes up the sound turns to a very loud roar. The individual sounds of each cylinder cannot be picked out but instead it is like a loud low roar with a high pitch whine of the turbo all at the same time.

MiniMopar
05-28-2007, 12:00 AM
I have the Dynomax cat and the oval Ultraflo with the offset config. It idles nice a quiet...pretty much stock. Raspy when I get into it and rips when really open it up. Drones a bit when tooling around, but not as bad as my CSX. Neighbors haven't complained yet.

moparzrule
06-05-2007, 07:02 PM
I had a bullet muffler in place of the CAT and an ultraflow oval out the back. Nice burble at an idle, not too quiet but not too loud at a cruise, and loud as F*** when at WOT full boost. I've found that after the 250 WHP mark these engines sound a lot more aggressive.

shelby zed
06-10-2007, 03:30 PM
with the magnaflow you just hear it revving nicely, not ricey and then turbo whistle hehe!

Mopar_Nutz
06-10-2007, 03:38 PM
I gotta say one thing though. With the magnaflow I noticed a reduction in turbo noise. Seems to be the higher frequencies that they take out. Nothing beats open pipes for hearing the turbo whistle sound. As soon as you touch the throttle you can hear it hissing away!

shad0w2.s_tur80
07-27-2007, 07:41 PM
I gotta say one thing though. With the magnaflow I noticed a reduction in turbo noise. Seems to be the higher frequencies that they take out. Nothing beats open pipes for hearing the turbo whistle sound. As soon as you touch the throttle you can hear it hissing away!

"The Holset drowns out the exhaust under boost, All I hear is Hissssing!"

"When I had the stock Mitsu turbo on my car with the Magnaflow muffler it did the same think. It sounds really nice!"

ok i am hearing some conflicting statements about the magnaflow muffler because i am looking to be unoticed under vac or at low rpms (2500-3000) but noticed greatly under boost by air hising . not looking for loud exhaust noise had that in mylast car.

moparzrule
07-28-2007, 07:07 AM
No no, he hears the turbo itself hissing over the exhaust, not the turbo hissing out of the exhaust. A holset is a huge turbo, and very loud.

If you want a quiet sleeper the magnaflow is the way to go, quiestest straight through muffler I even heard. I yes it does take away a lot of the turbo whistle, I noticed that too on a friends car.
I just put on a 3'' system on my 88' shadow, no cat no muffler. I had to turn the boost to 13 PSI because it would creep to 18 by the time I shifted. Last week I put a dynomax ultraflow round, completely straight through muffler right? Well My boost stays rock solid now I had to turn it back up because it stayed at 13 afterwards. So, apparently the even the ultraflow is some kind of restriction. I'd love to keep is straight pipe because it sounds just awesome, but I do not want to get pulled over because if I do I'll also get nailed for not having a cat.

Reaper1
07-28-2007, 09:37 PM
Ondonti hasn't posted back up about how the car sounds with the XR-1. I think I remember there's video that he took with it running...it was definatly more bearable.

I personally have a 3" Magnaflo cat and then an oval Borla XR-1. I like it a LOT! I've had Super Turbo's, Magnaflo, and Ultra-Flo mufflers. I like the XR-1 the best so far. It is quieter around town, it doesn't drone as much as the Magna/Ultra-Flo's, it's lighter than the other 3, it's made of stainless, and the packing is also stainless(no blowing out!). You can hear the turbo through the exhaust just driving around, but it's quiet enough to where I don't have to turn the stereo way up to enjoy music. On the highway it drones a little, but not nearly as bad as the Magna/Ulta-Flo(as I said before). At WOT there is no hissing and it is not raspy at all.

In all the XR-1, to me, sounds the best, and is worth the little bit of extra money due to it's other attributes. I'm sold on them and will probably be using them from now on...

ShelbyZD
07-28-2007, 10:32 PM

X2! There's no muffler like 'no' muffler. :thumb:

I was just thinking about this a few minutes ago before I cam across this thread. I absolutely love the sound of my open exhaust... and I really have my doubt's any muffler/cat setup will compare.

1st off its a V8ish rumble, then turbo spool that you can hear a block away, then when it gets into boost it sounds like a Jet. It's a unique Turbo Dodge sound that I love. :dancingbana:

BadAssPerformance
07-28-2007, 10:33 PM
Dynomax Race Magnum Oval 3" .... FTW!!!11!!1!! :thumb:

John B
07-30-2007, 06:16 AM
I put a 3"/31" Magnaflow 6" round muffler in place of the 3" Magnaflow cat and it's actually quieter than the cat. It sounds quite nice.

shad0w2.s_tur80
07-31-2007, 10:00 PM
No no, he hears the turbo itself hissing over the exhaust, not the turbo hissing out of the exhaust. A holset is a huge turbo, and very loud.

i want my exhaust to be quiter than the turbo i was wondering if their was some muffler that woundnt hurt turbo spoll but get rid of exhaust noise. well geuss i should get to saving for a prety big turbo.

but how loud are those garretts that come on the t2 cars? ihave never seen a runing t2 car with a garret still on it yet and i plan on runign one of those for a few months.

TurboJerry
07-31-2007, 10:20 PM
I find the 3" Magnaflow to be fairly loud, but I get the jet engine sound from the turbo quite clearly. People driving next to me usually look over trying to figure it out. 2.5" with a Magnaflow is better. But the whistle is still there. (no cats on either car) The best thing about the Magnaflows is the stainless steel wool they use for the first layer of packing because it won't burn up and get louder with age...... The packing is missing on my Dynomax Race Magnum I used to run!!!

Millerman340
07-31-2007, 10:22 PM
Very Deep sound,It sets off car alarms. The Holset Makes all the noise!

Ondonti
08-01-2007, 03:45 AM
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/wm/c7513517-4b33-45e0-bcaa-992d00339062.htm

There is my car with a single 3" ultraflow dumping under the front seats

Sorry I thought I uploaded a video with my 3" ultraflow and then full exhaust plus borla xr-1 at the rear bumper but did not.
When i get home sunday I will look for a good vid and upload it.
Its a little quieter but still has a nasty sound to it.
The track manager still thought it was a bit too loud....I guess they are lucky i wasnt there running open downpipe like I originally planned.
Anyways for just driving around town I dont need to kill my ears.

John B
08-01-2007, 06:03 AM
i want my exhaust to be quiter than the turbo i was wondering if their was some muffler that woundnt hurt turbo spoll but get rid of exhaust noise. See post #37:eyebrows:

Pandemoniac
08-01-2007, 09:01 AM
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/wm/c7513517-4b33-45e0-bcaa-992d00339062.htm

There is my car with a single 3" ultraflow dumping under the front seats

:nod: :thumb:

Now I definately need to get a v6 dodge and cam the hell out of it... Idles like a big block drag car man!

t2_85_lebaron
08-01-2007, 09:30 AM
im kind of intrested as to how my exaust will sound, custom 3" downpipe, catco 3" cat 3" cat back and a 3" dynomax straight through muffler.

Turbo224
08-01-2007, 01:45 PM
In my experience, the magnaflow has a cool idle bubbling sound too it, and has a pretty loud wot sound aswell. However it is not very loud on decel while in gear. Overall I like the sound. Its a 3" on an 8v

My Dynomax ultraflow has a smooth deep sound at idle, and not quite so loud of a wot sound, however on decel while in gear it is super loud. I would take the dynomax over the magnaflow any day. Dynomax is a 3" on a 16v, so that may makes it a bit different though.

Both my exhausts have a cat. Without one its just too loud for my taste.

Ondonti
08-01-2007, 04:14 PM
personally I love loud decel :P

Turbo224
08-01-2007, 06:40 PM
personally I love loud decel :P

lol, thats why I love my R/T. If I decel in gear at about 3200 rpms, the sound is unbelievable! I love it!

Wes85L
08-02-2007, 11:02 AM
Dynomax Super Turbo w/ no cat...just 'cause. :)

t2_85_lebaron
08-22-2007, 09:12 AM
my dynomax straight through wit the catco cat sounds pretty mean, loud, but not annoying, its got a good tone to it but its not overpowering..

Polygon
11-16-2007, 03:48 PM
my dynomax straight through wit the catco cat sounds pretty mean, loud, but not annoying, its got a good tone to it but its not overpowering..

Agreed, here's how it sounds on my car:

http://www.synapsepc.com/Hosting/Images/GTC/exhaust.mp3