PDA

View Full Version : Catch can woes

Dave
05-22-2007, 11:20 AM
I've used a catch can successfully before on my Spirit, now I hooked one up to my van and it's not collecting any oil.

I have a line running from the back of the valve cover directly to the can. From the other port it goes into a T, one side to the PCV valve and to the intake manifold, the other side goes to the turbo. I have a 3/8" nipple threaded directly onto the air filter which sits directly faced to the compressor housing for the catch can.

There should be sufficient vacuum caused from the turbo sucking in, especially considering the nipple is only 5" from the wheel.

The only symptoms are no collection inside the can, there is a small amount of collection in the line that goes to the T (vacuum side) and I have a small case of blow-by. The dipstick is getting pushed out but I'm not burning oil.

Thanks for any help.
-Bryan

turbovanmanČ
05-22-2007, 01:14 PM
You can push the dipstick out and not burn oil. When does it get pushed out, figure that out then disconnect the catch can and go try to do it again. If it does it, then your engine is tired, if it doesn't do it then you need to make the PCV system flow more air and have less restriction. Make sense?

Dave
05-22-2007, 03:45 PM
You can push the dipstick out and not burn oil. When does it get pushed out, figure that out then disconnect the catch can and go try to do it again. If it does it, then your engine is tired, if it doesn't do it then you need to make the PCV system flow more air and have less restriction. Make sense?

Simon, the engine is freshly rebuilt with new rings and bearings 10,000 miles ago.

Make's sense to me. I'm gonna try and suck the air from the turbo in a direct line, rather than going at a right angle from the catch can.

t3rse
05-22-2007, 05:59 PM
try putting the vacuum source on a nipple that goes .5 inch into the stream at a 45* angle with the nipple at 45*, you'll get better suction that way...like exhaust evacs

Dave
05-22-2007, 08:45 PM
try putting the vacuum source on a nipple that goes .5 inch into the stream at a 45* angle with the nipple at 45*, you'll get better suction that way...like exhaust evacs

How would I do this? I have a 4.5" APC filter right off the turbo.

t3rse
05-23-2007, 11:20 AM
directly attached to the turbo?