PDA

View Full Version : super 60 or hybrid? help me choose

JuXsA
01-30-2006, 08:57 PM
I am getting ready to buy a turbo in the next few weeks. Let me tell you about my setup.
I have an 88 csxt (shadow) and I am getting a 2.5CB built for it. I will be running a larger then stock IC, forged pistons, 3 bar map and cal, +40 injectors, and maybe a ported head/intake/header with stock sized backcut valves. I am looking at a few people to do the head but The Pope is one of them. You can see his work at:
http://pnw-sdac.org/gallery/view_alb...albumName=mods

Any way, back to the questions.

I have been leaning towards a true super60 with the .63ar and 3in swing valve.
I have been told this is a great turbo with great boost response and quick spool up. But now I am starting to wonder about going with a small hybrid. Something like this:
http://www.fwdperformance.com/store/...&ProductID=449
It would seem that something like this would give me the quick boost response of the super 60 but not limit me on the top end either.
They sell a hybrid package for $999
http://www.fwdperformance.com/store/...&ProductID=763
And that lets you pick either a s46 or s50 trim in either a small or large housing (I assume the T04B is small and T04E is large) along with what ever stage exhaust wheel you want.
I have heard that with the T04B housing you don't have to do any of the crazy mods to get it to fit like you would with the T04E. Am I wrong?
It seems like going Hybrid is a better deal because you are getting so much more turbo for the money. A super 60 setup the way I would want costs about $1000, while a hybrid costs about the same. Maybe a little, but not much.
I do not want to buy TU's hybrid header becasue I don't want to spend an extra $550 on one. With me considering head work, that is already putting me over budget, don't need to go over it any more.

I am still not sure about any of this so I am looking for opinions of people who actually have hybrids and have installed them. If you don't have one or have never installed one I don't want to hear from you, Sorry to be rude but I don't want to have to read through a bunch of posts from people who don't know.

Thanks

cordes
01-30-2006, 09:17 PM
I would go for the hybrid. I put on on my omni, and it was a doozie, but fi you check out my website, www.omniglht.com and www.thedodgegarage.com you should be all set.

I get it to spool between 3500and 4K with a 88TBI roller and a stg.2 wheel.

I would not want to go smaller for my power goals. (350+).

If you are going to get the hybrid WGA bracket from TU, and a WGA for it, there is little to be worried about.

JuXsA
01-31-2006, 01:30 AM
it sounds like the T04E is the compressor housing to go with because it makes less heat then the B version. Does any one have a small hybrid? Like one with the s50 or the s46 with a stage 1 or stage 2 wheel? I want to hear about what kind of boost response you get. I am really interested to hear about if you have a 2.5.

Thanks

91DSX
01-31-2006, 02:31 AM
it sounds like the T04E is the compressor housing to go with because it makes less heat then the B version. Does any one have a small hybrid? Like one with the s50 or the s46 with a stage 1 or stage 2 wheel? I want to hear about what kind of boost response you get. I am really interested to hear about if you have a 2.5.

Thanks

I have a T04B .60 A/R compressor housing while using a T04E 50 trim wheel, awesome response, almost too good with my old tire/wheel setup:evil:

JuXsA
01-31-2006, 12:11 PM
I have a T04B .60 A/R compressor housing while using a T04E 50 trim wheel, awesome response, almost too good with my old tire/wheel setup:evil:

Do you know how much heat you are producing with that housing and wheel? How quickly does the turbo begin to spool and at what rpm? How hard was it to stick that sucker in your car (what car do you have)? Please give me more details

Thanks

91DSX
01-31-2006, 02:03 PM
Do you know how much heat you are producing with that housing and wheel? How quickly does the turbo begin to spool and at what rpm? How hard was it to stick that sucker in your car (what car do you have)? Please give me more details

Thanks

Not to sure about the heat, however I'm using a tripple TII core intercooler so I'm not concerned about it. The turbo doesn't have a staggered feel like this wheel is supposed to produce, it just makes boost from 2500rpm steadily but very quickly(too quickly, lol) up to so far, 15psi. The compressor cover has a 3" inlet and a 45* welded elbow to clear the intake, fits very very well. This is on my 91' Daytona Shelby with 2.5 and a very well ported +1mm 782 head. Let's put it this way, I *wanted lag* for traction, hopefully my new 245/40/17 BFG's help me this year:eek:

Oh ya, I'm running a .63 A/R turbine with a stage II wheel and a 3in swingvalve.

cordes
01-31-2006, 09:26 PM
I don't think it is the TO4B housing that creates too much heat, but having a T3 cover machined to accept a T4 family wheel. So long as you keep the T4 cover on a T4 wheel you should be good to go.

That being said, it is not that much work to get the turbo on there. One modification to the oil feed line that I picked up from TU, and grind the corner of the head a little bit and I was good to go. If I would not have been so stubern and cheap, it would have taken me half the time, as the WGA bracket was what took for ever.

Knowing the kind of power my setup would be capable of, I would not hesitate for a second to do it again. With a 2.5 it is a no brainer for me, given that you want to make serious (well over 300) HP.

turbovanmanČ
01-31-2006, 09:36 PM
I am running a T3/T4, 50 trim wheel, stage III wheel and .63 housing. Its a bit laggy but its for my 16v conversion but when it gets spooled, its fun-full boost by 4000 rpm, and it pulls nice and hard at 12psi. Have yet to crank it up. I was running a TIII turbo before with a T04E cover and 50 trim wheel and this pulls alot harder, and all the way to 6300rpm. I wouldn't recommend the stage III for you though.
I had to modify the coolant line as the comp housing is soo much bigger, used a 3 inch 90 deg elbow for the intake, the braided oil line fit that I had originally, the DP seemed to match up fine, and yeah, had to mess with the wastegate to clear the intake. I used some rubber elbows from a 2nd gen RX7 to clear the head.

I have heard that the TO4B is for better flowing heads and the T04E is a better match for our crappy heads.

I guess the biggest question is what are your goals, power and time wise.

Russ Jerome
01-31-2006, 11:58 PM
Depends on you HP goal and personel driving habit's.

270hp or less S-60, spools like stock.
300hp or more hybrid, expect at least some lag.

Manual or auto?
Mostly street/rarely strip?

I am a little bias, the S-60 has put me in the 12's
more time's than I remeber with street tires in my
daily driver. Street racing requires gentle throttle
like a stock turbo. If your driving this car daily you
will not be unhappy with the S-60, if your gonna
go to track every other weekend go t-3/4.

JuXsA
02-01-2006, 02:19 PM
This car will be mostly street and will only see the track a few times a year. It is a manual.
My original realistic goal was around 250-275whp 300-325ft/lbs with the Super 60 and my unrealistic goal was over 300whp. This was in street trim on pump gas.
When I started thinking about hybrids my realistic goal went up to 300whp street trim.
I am thinking about the 46trim wheel with the stage 1 or maybe the stage 2 exhaust wheel.
Although I am starting to think I am just going to stick with my T2 untill a 16v conversion kit comes out. I would be willing to bet there will be one out with in the next year to year and a half. That way I can base my turbo decision on the flow of that head, instead of the flow of a stock or ported 8v head.

turbovanmanČ
02-01-2006, 02:46 PM
If your doing the 16 conversion, then wait. A 46 trim will be too small for that and you will want a stage III wheel too.

fernando
06-12-2009, 04:23 AM

Thanks

i was using a 46 trim stage 1 wheel just ported exhaust and full 3 inch exhaust spool up like 2000 rpm and full boost like 2800, 3000 rpm:thumb: very nice turbo spool fast

GLHNSLHT2
06-12-2009, 09:46 AM
Holy Dead thread Batman!