PDA

View Full Version : L-body fuel tank swap

Clay
05-20-2007, 02:13 PM
Ok, Ive got a new/aftermarket fuel tank for my 86 GLHT. Its suppose to fit all turbo and fuel injected models. My concern is the "well" in the middle of the tank that helps to keep fuel around the pump is different from the factory tank. The factory tank is plastic, and has definate inlets for the fuel, the aftermarket tank has a steel 'well', and I cant really see how fuel gets into the 'well' on this tank.

I know its suppose to fit, but Im just double checking that this should be ok. This is the SPI/Spectra CR3B tank in case anyone is interested.

thanks,
clay

iTurbo
05-20-2007, 02:38 PM
I had the same thing happen when I bought a new aftermarket tank for my Shelby Lancer. The steel 'well' in the bottom of that tank had a nipple on it for the fuel return hose. Since the L-body returns fuel to the same sending unit that holds the pump, you shouldn't need a nipple on the well for the fuel return since the fuel is simply being dumped right next to the pump in the well.

Also, the steel 'well' on the new tank I got for my SL had 'inlets' but they were different and hard to see. There were holes along the bottom and the well actually sat a tiny bit off the floor of the tank so the fuel entered via those holes. I accidently trashed the first replacement tank I got for my SL because I decided to use POR-15 sealer on the inside as preventative maintenance and the sealer pluged the inlet holes shut!