PDA

View Full Version : Don't leave this bolt out

jre97
01-30-2006, 08:05 PM
Don't leave the bolt out that holds the turbo oil and coolant feed line support brackets to the end of the head. I noticed that it was holding my oil feed line in a slight angle that was going to rub a hole in it so I took the bolt out and didn't put it back in:banghead:. I get on the interstate and go about a mile and a half, get off and the car fills with oil smoke. I whip into a gas station and grab the fire extinguisher because I thought the oil line blew, but the pressure was still good. Pop the hood and the tranny side of the engine compartment was covered in oil. The line still looking ok I fired it up and looked to see where it was coming from. It was blowing out of that bolt hole, my guess slinging it off the cam or something. I lost about a quart and a half of oil in about five minutes of driving. I replaced the bolt and all has been well since. I hope someone else can learn from my stupidity.

cordes
01-30-2006, 08:07 PM
Yeah, that is a pretty important one to have in there. If it is not already a FAQ, it should be.

jre97
01-30-2006, 08:21 PM
Yeah I can see where it could lead to a major problem to someone like me who may think it's unnecessary hardware.

87glhs232
01-30-2006, 08:25 PM
:p I learned the hard way too

The S is Silent
01-30-2006, 08:30 PM
Steve M sent my head back with a bolt in that spot...already RTV'd in place. I guess he does that for good reason. Lol.

jre97
01-30-2006, 08:37 PM
Man I'm glad I'm not the only one who's done it.

cordes
01-30-2006, 08:53 PM
Man I'm glad I'm not the only one who's done it.

From the posts I have read in the last 2-3 years, it is a pretty common problem.

GLHNSLHT2
01-30-2006, 09:14 PM
had just put in a new clutch in now my 87 Z. Poored oil all over the valves and cam since the VC was off too since we changed the head gasket. Oil went out that hole down all over the clutch in the tranny and we had to take the tranny back out and clean it all off. That sucked.

slasky
01-30-2006, 09:15 PM

+1....

jre97
01-30-2006, 09:17 PM
Well it's a brand new clutch so hopefully i caught it fast enough. The car drove fine after I replaced the bolt.

WVRampage
02-01-2006, 02:19 AM
I put AN lines on to feed the turbo that a buddy took off a plane where he worked that were just old and the cutomer wanted them replaced(lines still good for ground use) So I left the bolt out and the oil ran all over th oil feed line and and it looked like the line was leaking, had 1 more line and changes it out same thing then I found the bolt and felt like a dumb@$$ that bolt is the first to go in any time it has to be removed.

TopDollar69
02-01-2006, 05:18 PM
I had the same problem the first time I replaced a headgasket, luckily I caught it when i was priming the oil pump. It still made a mess though.

turbovanmanČ
02-01-2006, 06:58 PM
Hahahha, you guys are all rookies, :p

Seriously, I know its there but forgot it once when putting my head on, luckily, it was on the engine stand and I was priming it.

Subliminal
02-01-2006, 07:40 PM
I've done it too. That's funny. Thought I was the only retard...grin

d

turbomopar87
02-01-2006, 07:48 PM
When I ordered the steel braided lines for my shelby z from FWD, Cindy told me to make sure I put that bolt back in even though I am not using the bolt to hold the bracket on anymore. Good thing she told me or else I would have ended up with oil all over!

altered7151
02-01-2006, 08:15 PM
lol, when I first did my TII conversion I wanted to see if the car would at least fire. I didn't have any intercooler lines or anything, fired it up with the hood off, gave it a little throttle and it sprayed oil all over my garage. Shut if off immediately. Took me about 5 minutes of searching for the leak before I remembered about that bolt. Turns out the turbo outlet is lined up perfect that it blows right on the oil as its coming out of the hole. Took me about 2 minutes to fix the problem and about 2 days to clean the oil in the garage.

87glhs232
02-01-2006, 09:01 PM
lol, when I first did my TII conversion I wanted to see if the car would at least fire. I didn't have any intercooler lines or anything, fired it up with the hood off, gave it a little throttle and it sprayed oil all over my garage. Shut if off immediately. Took me about 5 minutes of searching for the leak before I remembered about that bolt. Turns out the turbo outlet is lined up perfect that it blows right on the oil as its coming out of the hole. Took me about 2 minutes to fix the problem and about 2 days to clean the oil in the garage.
LOL! :p

Dave
02-02-2006, 08:56 AM
Theres a line of oil going down my old road where I used to live of oil. Last spring I forgot to put that bolt back in and oil went EVERYWHERE.

Don't worry, it's a simple mistake.

ssheen
02-02-2006, 03:26 PM
I found that out as well, when were priming the oil pump, so not as bad.

TurbododgePirate
02-02-2006, 07:35 PM
Yup, when I put the SS lines on my minivan and converted it to a intercooled setup.... same thing.. Oil everywhere... But found it on startup when I backed the van outside.

GLHSKEN
02-02-2006, 08:08 PM
Got ya all beat... I primed an engine once... FORGOT to put the oil feed line on... There I was drill in hand priming and the damn outlet was pointed perfectly, when pressure built, a "stream" of oil came out arched perfectly onto the top of my head. The neighbors must have gotten a real laugh as I was in the front yard, hose going washing my hair with DAWN dishwashing liquid...

turbovanmanČ
02-02-2006, 09:20 PM
Got ya all beat... I primed an engine once... FORGOT to put the oil feed line on... There I was drill in hand priming and the damn outlet was pointed perfectly, when pressure built, a "stream" of oil came out arched perfectly onto the top of my head. The neighbors must have gotten a real laugh as I was in the front yard, hose going washing my hair with DAWN dishwashing liquid...

Yep, you win, :lol:

GLHSKEN
02-02-2006, 09:24 PM
tHANK god SOMEONE CALLED ME THE SUPREME DUMBASS!!!

altered7151
02-02-2006, 10:50 PM
Yeah thats a good one, I got a good chuckle out of that. :)

cordes
02-02-2006, 11:06 PM
Yep, you win, :lol:

+1. I have not yet forgot to put the oil feed line on.

The S is Silent
02-03-2006, 09:37 AM
+1. I have not yet forgot to put the oil feed line on.

Me neither...but I have left a paper towel in the turbin housing of a turbo that I installed in a engine. Imagine how I felt when I dis-assembled the whole mess and a friend called me out on it. I didn't ever run the turbo to see how it liked it, but I don't think I wanted to either. I felt like a total ---.

turbovanmanČ
02-06-2006, 04:27 AM
Me neither...but I have left a paper towel in the turbin housing of a turbo that I installed in a engine. Imagine how I felt when I dis-assembled the whole mess and a friend called me out on it. I didn't ever run the turbo to see how it liked it, but I don't think I wanted to either. I felt like a total ---.

Thats nothing. When I was an apprentice, I was doing an intake gasket on a 3.8L engine. When scraping the gaskets, I put rags in the valley so the crap doesn't fall onto the cam and lifters. Well being an apprentice, the boss, tower and other mechanics bug you to do this, do that etc so I put the engine together and off it goes. Well, a couple months later, we get a call that her oil light came on, the tower operator-a girl who knows nothing about cars, tells her to keep driving-its a low oil light she tells the customer-:banghead: WRONG, the lady seized the engine and it gets towed in. I get the job and pull the oil pan and scream in horror-the oil pan is full of finely minced bits of rag. The oil pump pickup has an inch of minced rags stuck to it. We figure I left the rags in the galley and forgot when I got called to help. She had driven to LA from Vancouver with the rags, :eek: She got a new engine under warranty-we claimed the oil relief valve stuck open-:lol: and I have never made that mistake again.

cordes
02-06-2006, 10:24 AM
Thats nothing. When I was an apprentice, I was doing an intake gasket on a 3.8L engine. When scraping the gaskets, I put rags in the valley so the crap doesn't fall onto the cam and lifters. Well being an apprentice, the boss, tower and other mechanics bug you to do this, do that etc so I put the engine together and off it goes. Well, a couple months later, we get a call that her oil light came on, the tower operator-a girl who knows nothing about cars, tells her to keep driving-its a low oil light she tells the customer-:banghead: WRONG, the lady seized the engine and it gets towed in. I get the job and pull the oil pan and scream in horror-the oil pan is full of finely minced bits of rag. The oil pump pickup has an inch of minced rags stuck to it. We figure I left the rags in the galley and forgot when I got called to help. She had driven to LA from Vancouver with the rags, :eek: She got a new engine under warranty-we claimed the oil relief valve stuck open-:lol: and I have never made that mistake again.

The things you have to tell people some times...:D