PDA

View Full Version : Fabrication forum?

altered7151
01-30-2006, 06:08 PM
So since this board is pushing to be the leading TD tech forum, what do you guys think about creating a fabrication forum? Something similar to this: http://honda-tech.com/zeroforum?id=53 Just a general forum for discussing fabrication techniques, and sharing projects that you've done. I think it would be a great resource for project ideas. I'm currently fabbing up an external wastegate setup and had to sift through all kinds of tech-style post to get some pictures of others projects. Plus I had just a general welding question and didn't know where to put it. This might be a solution :thumb:

cordes
01-30-2006, 06:10 PM
I think that is a capital idea. I am poor, but when I do get the money, I like to buy tools that allow the custom fab work that I need to do to my cars to keep the labor costs down.

I think that this would be great, even if I can look at the pics, and ideas of the really crafty guys and modify it to work with what I have, but keep the same principal.

Excellent suggestion.

Mario
01-30-2006, 07:05 PM
I've thought about suggesting this as well since seeing it on Honda-Tech but didn't say anything as I really don't see to many people fabricating things here.

cordes
01-30-2006, 07:08 PM
I've thought about suggesting this as well since seeing it on Honda-Tech but didn't say anything as I really don't see to many people fabricating things here.

I don't know, there are quite a few people that do a lot of fab work for their cars. I think that there is just not a forum to show it off in. Russ Jerome, wallace, and carl all come to mind when I think about guys fabing stuff. Heck, I could not even find a really good pic of a spearco FMIC in an omni when I went looking back when. Some times it is the little details that make all the difference, I would love to see folks show off what they have done.

altered7151
01-30-2006, 07:15 PM
I think there are alot of people fabbing stuff up, but sometimes we just dont really consider it "fabrication". I'm thinking anyone who has adapted any kind of intercooler to their car, I mean there definitally had to be some fabrication work done to make it fit.

cordes
01-30-2006, 07:18 PM
I think there are alot of people fabbing stuff up, but sometimes we just dont really consider it "fabrication". I'm thinking anyone who has adapted any kind of intercooler to their car, I mean there definitally had to be some fabrication work done to make it fit.

:amen: to that.

mech1nxh
01-30-2006, 07:19 PM
Excellent suggestion.

and to start things rolling....
I have been exploring the idea of "reverse mounting" the 16v
head I have on my hybrid project....exhaust to the front of the vehicle....

Mario
01-30-2006, 07:20 PM
Yeah I guess you're right.

GLHS592
01-30-2006, 07:22 PM
Most everything on my car is fabricated. I love fabrication almost as much as I like the cars the fabrication work is for.

Tony Hanna
01-30-2006, 07:44 PM
That would be handy! Custom IC installs, DIY rollcages, patch panel fabrication, vacuume blocks, pcv systems, exhaust, structural reenforcements, DIY alky injection, not to mention all the one-off electrical projects like boost and extra injector controllers... Just a few things that come to mind. As inventive as this crowd is, I'm sure there would be good use made of a fab forum.

87glhs232
01-30-2006, 07:51 PM
I'd love it. I used to do custom fab work (autofab.com) building race trucks and SCCA race cars.

altered7151
01-30-2006, 08:01 PM
Most everything on my car is fabricated. I love fabrication almost as much as I like the cars the fabrication work is for.

:amen: To me thats the fun part. I dont feel right if I'm not making something for my car. I hate it when its just sitting there all complete and running :p

BadAssPerformance
01-30-2006, 08:01 PM
I'm down with the fabrication.... :thumb: lotsa fun!

GLHSKEN
01-30-2006, 08:17 PM
This was a good idea... Done