PDA

View Full Version : Mig welding stainless to mild?

altered7151
01-30-2006, 06:04 PM
Not sure where this would fit in any of the tech forums, so though maybe it could go here. So I some stainless tubing (thin wall, similar to exhaust tubing) that I'd like to weld up to a piece of mild steel. I know you can mig stainless with stainless wire, not sure what shielding gas is needed. I already have a bottle of steel-mix and would prefer not to have to buy another bottle. I can also get one of the guys at work to tig it for me, but it sure would be nice to weld it at home so I could test fit everything. So lets hear from you welding experts out there.

BadAssPerformance
01-30-2006, 06:14 PM
I believe for stainless to mild it is 309 wire... will check tho.

Frank
01-30-2006, 06:19 PM
309 it is.

altered7151
01-30-2006, 06:53 PM
Will I be okay with my steel mix gas? I'm not super concerned about losing the non-corrosive property of the stainless as it will either get coated or wrapped.

Edit: Killer sig picture frank! Did you see that they're currently filming a Magnum P.I. movie?

mech1nxh
01-30-2006, 07:29 PM
Will I be okay with my steel mix gas? I'm not super concerned about losing the non-corrosive property of the stainless as it will either get coated or wrapped.

Edit: Killer sig picture frank! Did you see that they're currently filming a Magnum P.I. movie?

argon??, if so you will be fine, I like to set pressure at 15 psi, a little larger "bubble" .

BadAssPerformance
01-30-2006, 07:30 PM
steel mix (Argon/CO2) should be fine... not as picky stuff as aluminum.

You didnt know? Frank is an actor on the side and is in the movie!

altered7151
01-30-2006, 08:37 PM
Maybe this can now be moved to the sweet new fabrication forum.

BadAssPerformance
01-30-2006, 08:39 PM
BooYaaa! Done bro...

Clay
01-31-2006, 10:45 AM
Should use pure argon to a 2% CO2/98% Argon mix for stainless

jre97
01-31-2006, 10:50 PM
I think your shielding gas depends alot on what process you're using i.e. mig or tig, tig is a little more picky. mig is a little more flexible if your not worried about the finish and it's not a major structural component you can use argon, 98/2, tri-mix( first 3 preferred)95/5, 75/25. All I can say is try it the worst you'll have to do is grind it back off.

Turbo Joe
02-11-2006, 05:58 PM
yes as a professional fabricator, 308 is for ss304 to ss304 and 309 is for
ss304 to mild.
i recomend using straight argon. you shouldn't need more than 10-12psi. as your voltage won't be high anyway and take your time welding!! it will warp if you rush to weld it solid!! not to mention you'll pre stress everything and it will crack sooner or later !!

Russ Jerome
02-12-2006, 12:20 AM
I've been welding high grade stainless to our cast swingvalves
for years, for myself and others daily driver's. No cracks or
failures yet. Mix,strait Argon its all good for exhaust work.

Someone posted a PIC a while back of the one I welded for
Jeff Chonacki at SDAC15, been on there for a few years now
without failure of any type.

PUNKSLIP
03-17-2006, 02:19 AM
Ya, Argon is the best for just about anything you fab. It will cover most metals. I use it exclusively on my High Freq. TIG welder, as well as my Miller 210 wire feed. Did you say you have a bottle of "semimix", it could be C-25, or Tri-mix. Both would be suitable for wire feeds welding mixed metal, do you have Tri-mix?
Anyway, stainless welds nicely to mild. I would like to know what kind of welder you have at home. If it is DC compatible, and 220 volt, you can turn it into a makeshift TIG welder that will last for years, and won't cost an arm and a foot.

john

wallace
03-17-2006, 02:41 PM
[QUOTE=Russ Jerome]I've been welding high grade stainless to our cast swingvalves
for years, for myself and others daily driver's. No cracks or
failures yet. Mix,strait Argon its all good for exhaust work.

Are you using a mig for that? If so, what wire to weld stainless to cast swingvalve? If not, what wire should you use? I have 409 stainless that I would like to weld to cast swing valve. Do you preheat the cast? I've also heard to let a cast component cool in sand? Thanks.