a 2nd crank case vent? PICS?

DodgeZ
05-18-2007, 09:19 AM
http://boostedmopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108
http://boostedmopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=713

Turbo3Iroc
05-19-2007, 03:39 PM
Kevin good info. Your site still hates me though lol

Andy, I'm running a catch can on my car. I came off the nipple on the block with a 90* hose fitting and mounted my catch can where the A/C compressor was. I use the mini catch can that Jegs carries, you can fit it about anywhere though. From the can I ran a hose to a fitting I threaded into the intake tube after my cone filter.

FWIW, the nipple on the block isn't the best place to have the pcv. The valve cover is the best spot but that means drilling and tapping the valve cover.

Kelly
Bristol, CT
92 Daytona IROC R/T
91 Spirit R/T
04 Ram Hemi

Millerman340
06-08-2007, 10:56 PM
I thought you had the catch can figured out Andy?

glhs441
06-09-2007, 03:19 PM
Car kept filling up the puke can and was smoking on deceleration, due to no vacume on the crank case. So I reinstalled the the PCV and factory black box and ran a hose from the PCV grommet to the puke can.
Seems to work, but still under development, no smoke and less oil in can.

Car is an animal with the hybrid turbo & 3.50 gear.

devlish
07-10-2007, 01:12 AM
mine is smoking out my crankcase vent now pretty bad. not sure why. any way to get rid of this with some sort of PCV system and my conefilter intake? wouldn't venting that smokey/oily air back into the intake (even before the turbo) be bad for it?

any other ideas of what it could be? car has enough oil & oil pressure, enough coolant & operating temps are fine. just smokes pretty bad, even out the oil filler cap when taken off. have not yet done a compression check.

ideas?

shelby zed
07-10-2007, 02:00 AM
if it smokes out of there it means somethings getting hot enough to burn your oil. what weight are you using? if its to thick it wont lube it will just burn

devlish
07-10-2007, 12:50 PM
10w30 if i'm not mistaken. that what i've always used. i'm still suspecting Head gasket possibly. been running 18psi now for a bit... that could have done it unfotrunatly

tryingbe
07-10-2007, 01:00 PM
Smoke most likely is by-blow which means crank pistons and/or worn rings.

How did you monitor your a/f ratio? You could have ran lean and destroyed the pistons/rings.

devlish
07-10-2007, 10:32 PM
unfortunately the wideband isn't plugged in yet, it's all ready for it though... so currently its a Dawes 4-light. i've got the fuel pressure set and it runs pretty rich when in WOT. but yes, that could be it. i'm on my way to the garage now to do a compression test. we'll see how that goes.

shelby zed
07-11-2007, 02:12 AM
im picking up one of those crankcase evac kits, one for a v8 in moroso is about 60 bucks, and i can split it with devin. so 30 bucks each WOOHOOO!!

johnl
07-11-2007, 04:01 PM
im picking up one of those crankcase evac kits, one for a v8 in moroso is about 60 bucks, and i can split it with devin. so 30 bucks each WOOHOOO!!

I think it is much better to put a vacuum on the crankcase than the valve cover. The last thing you want to do - with a good strong pull/evac/vacuum - is to reduce the ability of oil to drain back to the crankcase from the cam box.

I hooked one up on my GLHT and it worked well. When I cracked a piston it worked toooo good - big cloud of smoke when the oil/vapor hit the exhaust. I put the slash cut way back in the wheel well (on the far side of the cat) where the 3" exh goes over the axle with 3/4" heater hose running over the gas tank flange and then along the passenger side frame rail and back up to the fuel pump block off plate. Put a high drip loop under the AC bracket - the whole set up is almost invisible.

It is possible for these systems to pull too much crankcase vacuum (not good for oil pressure/pick up among other things) so they also sell a spring pack type of regulator that can go on the valve cover (TBI cast cover's second port :thumb:)under a little K&N filter to allow excess vacuum to be released with air flowing down and through the head to the crankcase. I want to get one of those.

devlish
07-11-2007, 10:57 PM
starter issues have me stuck for the moment... can't figure that out. picked up the stuff for my PCV setup tonight, but not putting on until the thing runs again!!! got an inline PCV and a fuel filter (to act as my catch can temporarily to see how the system works) tomorrow i'll pick up some nice brass fittings since it isn't running yet... damned starter.

Lotashelbys
07-11-2007, 11:22 PM
FWIW, the nipple on the block isn't the best place to have the pcv. The valve cover is the best spot but that means drilling and tapping the valve cover.
Exactly. Me and Rick D talked quite a bit one day about a real PCV setup for the TIII. I bet if you give one of us a call we will fill you in:thumb:

BTW: Rick said your car was pretty crazy when he rode in it at SDAC:D

devlish
07-12-2007, 12:06 AM
i'll assume the large vent hole on my valve cover will work just fine. instead of drilling/tapping i'll clamp a hose over the large nipple on the back of the VC, then run that hose to my PCV & whatnot out of sight, instead of right there in plain view.

iTurbo
07-12-2007, 02:40 AM
Are the TIII valve covers thick enough to drill/tap? Would 3/8" NPT suffice?

turbovanmanČ
07-12-2007, 03:14 AM
The TIII valve covers are thick enough but is there enough room to put a shield or ? to prevent oil from being sucked/splashed up thru the fitting?

Jackson, care to share? ;)

Turbo3Iroc
07-12-2007, 10:11 AM
Thanks Jackson but I think he was referring to SDAC 15 ;)

I think 3/8 NPT would be plenty big.

I think you'd have to keep the baffle pretty slim in there, maybe make it a bit longer so there is enough airflow past it.

Lotashelbys
07-12-2007, 10:49 AM
Thanks Jackson but I think he was referring to SDAC 15 ;)

I was reffering to Andy's. I should of made myself more clear:banghead:

Turbo3Iroc
07-12-2007, 11:20 AM
Yea you quoted me above so I thought you were referring to me.

Andy's car is one hot ride.

Now for my problem. I have the block nipple going to a mini catch can and the other side I tapped a 1/4 NPT fitting after the air filter. Those that saw my car at SDAC saw it would smoke at times and if it did, it was usually on decel or at idle. I had been suspecting the turbo seals were leaking but I just took off the intake and found oil in the tube after the nipple. So my question is, is this pulling too much air or should I just relocate my pcv from the block to the valve cover? Either way it's getting oil in the intake stream and it's not consistant. Should I run a pcv valve off of the can to the intake side?

Kelly

glhs441
07-12-2007, 06:26 PM
It WAS running pretty well right before it pinched the rod bearings out.
I guess about 350hp is the limit for stock rod bolts!!!
Will be purchasing some after market rods and ARP main studs, mabey it will
hold togather then. 2 engines in 2 weeks, DAMN IT!!!!!

turbovanmanČ
07-12-2007, 06:45 PM
It WAS running pretty well right before it pinched the rod bearings out.
I guess about 350hp is the limit for stock rod bolts!!!
Will be purchasing some after market rods and ARP main studs, mabey it will
hold togather then. 2 engines in 2 weeks, DAMN IT!!!!!

Maybe you've just got bad engines, Larry aka 4sfed4 put down 500 whp on stock everything, except turbo and injectors, :nod:

What oil are you running? what rpm?

86Shelby
07-12-2007, 06:56 PM
The way that I plan on going about it is to use the exhaust driven suction, going to the nipple on the front of the block. I'll also be using the factory air/oil seperator there instead of an unsightly catch can elsewhere.

I was taking a good look at my bare block thinking about making some sort of baffle to help keep oil from getting sucked up. Looks to be pretty difficult to get anything in that area with the main webbing, I-shaft bearing housings and the kickout for the oil galley.

As for the vent, it will likely be coming off one of the valve covers under the valley cover. I'll use a vacuum regulator, similar to the ones from Moroso, etc. that will ultimately be connected to the intake pipe(filter to turbo pipe) so it gets nice clean air.

D1A8J
07-16-2007, 09:04 PM
on the stock pcv system, what are the 2 lines near the intake mani for ???
(theres the line that goes to the pcv, and a line that goes to the box thinggy)

- Dave

WVRampage
07-16-2007, 09:52 PM
Im using the system that hooks to the exaust and It is great,its the first time there has been no oil under the hood on anything after a spirited drive.There were no oil leaks at all on the way to SDAC,it was around 100 miles.

devlish
07-17-2007, 12:32 AM
if it smokes out of there it means somethings getting hot enough to burn your oil. what weight are you using? if its to thick it wont lube it will just burn
finally got the starter issue solved, so i was able to check compression:

60 - 110 - 110 - 110

guess i know what i need to do now! build the bottom end!!! rework the head, and order a bigger turbo!!

Xtrempickup
06-28-2008, 09:28 AM
now to Resurrect an old thread. How can i go about doing this on my TIII motor easily? i have stock system less a complete tube to the airbox, mine is short with a little k&n on it and it puked oil out last night after 2 hard runs at the track.

turbovanmanČ
07-26-2008, 01:29 AM
I am just redoing mine right now, pissing me off, its taken me a few hours to figure it out, :mad: :censored: