PDA

View Full Version : Orange Omni w/hood grate behind barn

Anonymous_User
05-18-2007, 07:02 AM
Saw it yesterday when driving out of town to look at a golf cart. Sitting nice and pretty behind a barn with a few other cars. Orange with a black hood grate. Thats all I could see and there wasn't time yesterday to get a closer look.

The orange color and the hood grate would indicate a GLH-T, correct?

Clay
05-18-2007, 09:38 AM
never made any Orange GLHTs, but that never stopped anyone from painting it.

now the hood grate is indicative of being a turbo car!! :)

Dominic
05-18-2007, 09:45 AM
Ooooo...Was it HEMI orange, with '01' on the doors and a confederate flag on the roof.....Sweet......Baby Lee

ShelbyMotorsports
05-18-2007, 09:59 AM
The red Glh cars can look orangeish when the paint fades. Besides the vin # you can verify it being a GLH-t by looking for the five lug wheels and the ground effects including the fog lights.

All these items were only available on the GLH/GLH-t cars.

85shelbycharger
05-18-2007, 10:39 AM
This thread is useless without pics!! :p :thumb:

2.216VTurbo
05-18-2007, 11:47 AM
Man I wish we had barns out here, I'd have sooo many cars stashed behind mine. I found another 16V car I want, price is right I just need to go get it and somehow find a spot for it:(

NeonShowCar
05-18-2007, 01:37 PM
Man I wish we had barns out here, I'd have sooo many cars stashed behind mine. I found another 16V car I want, price is right I just need to go get it and somehow find a spot for it:(

You can use my garage? Remember I got a (3) car ... :thumb:

Turbodave
05-18-2007, 02:16 PM

You can ship a few out to me, I'll store them for you:D

Anonymous_User
05-19-2007, 05:33 AM
This thread is useless without pics!!

I'm going to drive out there and knock on the door today.

DC Turismo
05-25-2007, 10:55 AM
Any word?

2.216VTurbo
05-25-2007, 11:22 AM
Any word?

Yeah, I'm leaving tomorrow at 5 am to go to the PRA VW drags in Sacramento AND get my car:eyebrows: Should be at least four 8 second aircooled dubs:thumb:

Oh wait, did you mean the Omni behind the barn:o ? Hijack warning:(

Anonymous_User
06-01-2007, 05:07 PM
Sheesh. Man, life gets in the way sometimes.

Finally got around to driving out there this morning. Nobody was home. :(

But, that doesn't stop me from taking a look.....

GLH
Red (a little faded)
All ground f/x and driving lights are there
Stock 5-bolt pizzas (or swiss I always get them confused)
Clean interior (locked :( )
Lower door rust - surface to major surface
Quarter rust - golf ball size hole on each side
NO floorboard rust from what I could tell laying in the grass and hitting underneath in various common rust areas

Sunroof with several layers of cheap clear silicone around the edges

Was a sunroof a factory option?

Plan to drive back out there on Saturday, hoping the owner was at work this morning.

Oh, and the plates were last up to date in '03

cordes
06-01-2007, 05:20 PM
I think the sunroof was a dealer installed option, but I could be wrong...

Turbodave
06-01-2007, 05:22 PM
There was no factory sunroof option for the GLH's so if one is installed it is aftermarket.

Some of the early 4 door L-bodies came with a factory sunroof, same one as the Shelby Chargers had, but I believe 83 was the last year that was available.

Anonymous_User
06-01-2007, 05:33 PM
Damn. As long as I've been rubber necking behind every barn and garage to find an L-body, I finally come across one and it's been hacked up for a sunroof. Even if it was in decent shape, I think sunroofs are ugly. I guess it can be fixed, but getting that roof flat after welding it up might be a feat!

nomadman2001
06-01-2007, 07:38 PM
It's easy - did it to the Daytona I'm presently working on. All you need to do is get a donor roof skin and trim it 4" in from the edge of the doors and fr/rr glass all the way around. The idea is you just lay it over the hole on top of the existing roof and spot mig it every 1.5" around the perimeter. Skim coat with plastic filler - no one will ever notice the extra 1x sheet metal thickness. I attach a pic but I'm at work now so - gotta go!

Damn. As long as I've been rubber necking behind every barn and garage to find an L-body, I finally come across one and it's been hacked up for a sunroof. Even if it was in decent shape, I think sunroofs are ugly. I guess it can be fixed, but getting that roof flat after welding it up might be a feat!

Anonymous_User
06-02-2007, 08:27 PM
Drove out there again today. Nobody home AGAIN. Sheesh.

SpoolinGLH
06-02-2007, 09:59 PM
Try tomorrow!!!....someone has to be home on Sunday.......Man , hell would freeze over before I seen a GLH sitting around here .....

Turbodave
06-03-2007, 11:15 AM
If you do end up with the car and need roof sheetmetal let me know, I've got a parts car where the roof is about the only good metal on it...

vxvxAndrewxvxv
06-03-2007, 01:25 PM
man, do it the smart way, write down the address, and look up the address for a phone number online. Call before you drive.....

Reverse Address Lookup. (http://www.whitepages.com/10001/reverse_address)

Anonymous_User
06-03-2007, 03:38 PM
Well, Sunday would be the best time to go, but I had morning plans and have to go visit dad in the hospital now. I will keep returning until I find the owner.

man, do it the smart way, write down the address, and look up the address for a phone number online. Call before you drive.....

Reverse Address Lookup.

I wrote down the address, but I thought if I called they might think... why would someone go through the effort to find my number just to buy an old omni.

Maybe..... just maybe.... the owner doesn't know what the car is. Everytime I've driven down there I've gone in my brothers REALLY RUSTY cavalier to drive. Made sure I was just out of the garage dirty.

I WILL FIND OUT ABOUT THIS CAR

Anonymous_User
06-11-2007, 03:34 AM
FINALLY. I took the wife to see Ocean's Thirteen and after the show, we drove south to see if anyone was home. Caught the owners returning from the grocery store...

I pulled in and simply said that I noticed their Omni sitting out back. The woman immediately said, no, that's a GLH. Damn. They know. So... It's an 85 GLH. Last started last year - so they say. Last driven three years ago when the tranny went bad. Started regularly until last year the gas line sprung a leak. Has a spare engine - disassembled - in the hatch. I didn't poke around too much, but there is a T1 garret, log manifold, shortblock. Didn't notice a head. Dude says he bought a replacement tranny from a 'yard out of a daytona and it is in the garage. Car is red, aftermarket sunroof, floor boards do not appear to be rotted out, but fuel line is so there has to be some rust under there. Has all ground effects, driving lights, correct pizza rims. Interior is fair. Headliner saggy. Carpet under drivers feet has heel holes. No radio. Rest is intact and clean. Exterior - golf ball sized rust on each quarter. Rust on bottom edges of doors. Rear bumper mount broken. Several minor dents.

Silly me, I forgot to pop the hood to see if it was original. '85 should have 287 head, different dizzy, etc.

Anyway... guy says it not 'for sale' so to speak, but $500 would take it. Woman says, maybe $750. Apparently it is HER car. She tells me how fun and fast it was. So, I continue to walk around it and talk about how I used to have one and it was good on gas. Would make a good work car. Other BS. How I might have some parts kicking around to put it together. Woman agrees on $500.

Overall, I think $500 is a good price. I told them I would probably stop back next weekend with the trailer.

Now... to convince MY wife...

guyd_15
06-11-2007, 05:41 AM
Alright!

Once again persistance pays off.

Guy

WickedShelby88
06-11-2007, 11:28 AM
Sounds much better than my ole daytona since that was what you were looking for. Glh would be GREAT on gas compaired to a g body.

overlordsshadow
06-11-2007, 11:34 AM
Good job, good job. Never sound too interested and you can get what you need.

BARRON
06-17-2007, 11:13 AM
..soooo.. PICS PLEASE?!

Anonymous_User
06-18-2007, 03:47 PM
..soooo.. PICS PLEASE?!

Patience, young jedi.

Had to spend the weekend setting the pool up for the wife and kids.

Soon. Very soon.

rare_ram
06-18-2007, 04:58 PM
May the Boost be with you.:banaride:

TurboII
06-24-2007, 11:14 PM
why does everthing lead down to the wife lmao

any pics yet

Dodgeglht
07-15-2007, 10:02 AM
Been almost a month.. Any updates or pics of the car?