PDA

View Full Version : solid lash adjusters?

Tony Hanna
05-16-2007, 09:49 PM
Has anybody ever given any thought to drilling and tapping the ends of the rockers and running a lash adjustment screw/lock nut between the rocker and the valve stem instead of the hydraulic setup? I don't know what kind of machine work would be involved or if it would even be possible, but the thought crossed my mind and I figured I'd throw it out to see what everybody thinks. If it could be done, it might be a one time cost effective solution to replacing lifters, and should be really nice for someone that's running high rpms.

Aries_Turbo
05-16-2007, 10:38 PM
ive heard it cracks the head where the lifter sits from the lack of cushioning. I wonder if some reinforcements could be made.

Brian

turbovanmanČ
05-16-2007, 11:51 PM
SMP did it and I thought he had no problems. Maybe contact Wallace or Cindy. I also thought I heard that they were coming out with them.

mcsvt
05-17-2007, 12:10 AM
Now that I think about it yes Stephane does run them. I have watched him check the valve clearance after/before each round at the races last year.

Tony Hanna
05-17-2007, 06:06 AM
Brian,
I think it's the 8 valve head that has the problem cracking the lifter bores with solid adjusters. Since this is TIII, it would actually be the rocker arm itself that could possibly crack. They're pretty beefy though, so I doubt it would be too likely.

Simon and Gary,
Cool! I thought it might work. I don't know how many engines I've seen setup like that from the factory, so it's a proven method. It would also be really nice to just spend a few minutes with a couple wrenches and feeler gauge when the valvetrain gets noisy instead of spending several hundred dollars on parts.

mcsvt
05-17-2007, 09:32 AM
I'll look for my pictures tonight :) There may be some in my gallery as well.

Tony Hanna
05-17-2007, 09:54 AM
I'll look for my pictures tonight :) There may be some in my gallery as well.

Man you've got a lot of pictures in your gallery! Took a little bit of looking, but I think I found the one you're talking about. This is exactly what I had in mind.:)
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/showfull.php?photo=2188
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/579/medium/SunBrokenRockerBlur.JPG

Aries_Turbo
05-17-2007, 05:15 PM
oops, i forgot i was in the TIII section lol

Brian

Tony Hanna
05-17-2007, 05:31 PM
oops, i forgot i was in the TIII section lol

Brian

It's all good.:thumb:
I had hoped that was what happened, otherwise there was something extremely screwy about the TIII head that I wasn't taking into account.:)

Aries_Turbo
05-17-2007, 07:28 PM
hehe :)

Brian

Tony Hanna
05-17-2007, 09:57 PM
I wonder how much a person would have in getting a set drilled and tapped at a machine shop? Anybody have an extra set of rockers I can experiment on??:D