PDA

View Full Version : PT & SRT-4 Tranny? need help!

Suder
05-16-2007, 06:16 PM
I was wondering if you guys could help me out with this one?
Do the turbo PT Cruiser and SRT-4 share the same 5 speed transmission?
If not is the PT tranny just as strong, and does it have the Quaife?

TurboGLH
05-16-2007, 07:25 PM
No they don't share the same transmission, SRT get's the NVG/Magna T-850 and the PT Turbo gets a Getrag trans (can't remember the model # right now).

The PT trans should be just as strong as the 850, if not stronger. With almost 70k on my srt the transmission is hurting in a bad way and I'll be swapping it for an auto rather than pay the large $$ to fix the stick.

On the quaife, I don't believe that that PT gets one from the factory.

psi chick
05-28-2007, 06:07 PM
how do you figure it's cheaper to get an auto? the only auto that's going to fit on the srt is the dcr race tranny and that's around $3500. you can get a used tranny for about 1200 or a full rebuild for around 1k.

contraption22
05-29-2007, 08:13 AM
I'm pretty sure you can find used Neon 3 speeds in a yard for less than $200.

TurboGLH
05-29-2007, 09:34 AM
how do you figure it's cheaper to get an auto? the only auto that's going to fit on the srt is the dcr race tranny and that's around $3500. you can get a used tranny for about 1200 or a full rebuild for around 1k.

Actually it's now over $8000 for their street/strip auto package.

But on the topic of why it's cheaper, it's because I'm more than capable of building an auto that will last behind any power level I choose to run, along with the ability to procure my own axles, shifter, cable, motor mount, modify my intake manifold etc. I don't require DCR to sell me a 8K package that's overkill for most srt-4's, much less my car.

Not everything needs to come from a vendor to be well built, or get the job done. In this case, what DCR offers is well beyond what I require and I can do it for far less by doing the work myself.

mpboost
05-29-2007, 12:28 PM
Ramsdell Transmission Authority!!!! :thumb:

I'm running one of your dad's A568's in the K-car.

Maybe you guys can do up a SRT-4 package too for those of us with less aggressive setups.

Frank
05-29-2007, 01:27 PM
That PT Tranny is a G288 is the PT Turbo tranny and came in years 2003 to 2004. The T350 HD is the 2001 to 2006 base model.

TurboGLH
05-29-2007, 02:35 PM
Ramsdell Transmission Authority!!!! :thumb:

I'm running one of your dad's A568's in the K-car.

Maybe you guys can do up a SRT-4 package too for those of us with less aggressive setups.

That's the plan. When I get around to doing my car it will be the testbed for a mid-range auto swap. The big killer as far as price goes is the axles, a set of DSS un-equal length stage 3's with the correct inners and outers is $800 a set.

We'll see what happens over the summer. Right now there are two neon auto cores sitting around waiting around for a new home, so keep your eye's open.

contraption22
05-29-2007, 03:22 PM
I wonder if Omni axles would work... they work in my brother's 1st gen Neon with 2nd gen knuckles.

Turbodave
05-29-2007, 04:31 PM
I've also heard of shadow axles used in the first gen neons. We all know those are the same as Daytonas and everything else. I heard that they fit but require the hub to be swapped out with one from a K-body car as well so the splines match?

TurboGLH
05-30-2007, 08:45 PM
I wonder if Omni axles would work... they work in my brother's 1st gen Neon with 2nd gen knuckles.

Looks like they would. I found out that a 1st gen with 2nd gen axles and knuckles fit, and obviously a 1st gen with 2nd knuckles and omni axles fit, so it would seem to reason that a set of omni axles would fit into a 2nd gen neon with no need to change the hubs.

I'm not a big fan of the TBI axles, so a set of modded big car axles might work better. Although I admit I'm not sure how much stronger the g-body tbi axles would be compared to the l-body ones.

I don't recall, did T1 cars get equal length axles or no? If not a set of T1 axles cut down to fit an l-body would probably be a good basis for some reasonably strong 2nd gen 3spd axles.

cordes
05-30-2007, 10:40 PM
Some of the TI cars got the equal length setup and some did not. I believe it was dependent on trans choice. I know that my TI shadow received the equal length setup.

contraption22
05-31-2007, 02:16 PM
Looks like they would. I found out that a 1st gen with 2nd gen axles and knuckles fit, and obviously a 1st gen with 2nd knuckles and omni axles fit, so it would seem to reason that a set of omni axles would fit into a 2nd gen neon with no need to change the hubs.

I'm not a big fan of the TBI axles, so a set of modded big car axles might work better. Although I admit I'm not sure how much stronger the g-body tbi axles would be compared to the l-body ones.

I don't recall, did T1 cars get equal length axles or no? If not a set of T1 axles cut down to fit an l-body would probably be a good basis for some reasonably strong 2nd gen 3spd axles.

I wouldnt be too worried about the Lbody TBI axles. Mine have held up to many low 1.7/high 1.6 60-ft launches. Never broke one. Although, an Lbody is quite a bit lighter than an SRT-4.

TurboGLH
06-03-2007, 07:31 PM
I wouldnt be too worried about the Lbody TBI axles. Mine have held up to many low 1.7/high 1.6 60-ft launches. Never broke one. Although, an Lbody is quite a bit lighter than an SRT-4.

Just not a big fan, prefer something with a bit more meat.

I need to get some axle lengths, I noticed the Neil Emiro used g-body axles and hubs in his 2.2 swapped 1st gen. I don't know how both g-body and l-body axles could work in the same platform.

http://www.ndperformance.com/projects/neon-nd/page2.html

Speedeuphoria
06-03-2007, 08:42 PM
the neon guys use P body axles/hubs(so the standard car axles) on one side(think its pass side) then PT axle on the other side