PDA

View Full Version : Overheated the Spirit

Tony Hanna
05-16-2007, 09:50 AM
It got pretty hot while I was trying to get all the air bled out after installing the new radiator. I just attributed it to an air pocket under the thermostat. It finally did open and I got the cooling system bled and it was fine. At least until this morning. After making the 3 mile trip to mcdonalds for some breakfast, I noticed it was running hot (really hot) as I got home. Since the car had been sitting for quite some time, I decided to check the thermostat to make sure it wasn't stuck. Removing the thermostat housing quickly revealed the problem. The thermostat wasn't stuck, it was installed backward!:banghead:
It's now back together with a 180* stat (in the right way!), just lacking refilling the coolant, but I can't help but wonder what the chance is that the head or headgasket was hurt because of this. I have no way of knowing how long the car has been run with the thermostat backward but judging from the old thermostat gasket, I'd say quite awhile.:(
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Tony

Scottmon
05-16-2007, 09:56 AM
Tony,

Pull the temperature sensor out of the T-stat housing when you fill the system. It's the highest point, and fill until a little coolant dribbles out the sensor hole. Then put it back in. You may also want to drill a 1/16" hole in the t-stat while you're at it.

I've had my IROC R/T get *REALLY* hot when the rad fan when south on me last summer in traffic. It's been fine since. I'd say run it unless there's something obviously wrong, but keep an eye on the temp gauge and the cylinder head for a while.

mark
05-16-2007, 10:03 AM
when you re-did your stat, did you drill any holes in it?

mcsvt
05-16-2007, 10:21 AM
Was the coolant deflector still in there? It is in the same hole as the t-stat isn't it?

Scottmon
05-16-2007, 10:24 AM
Was the coolant deflector still in there? It is in the same hole as the t-stat isn't it?

Deflector is down in the waterpump flange behind the pump.

Sounds like the car just had a big air pocket behind the t-stat.

mcsvt
05-16-2007, 11:06 AM
Ok sorry for the confusion on my part.

Tony Hanna
05-16-2007, 11:26 AM
Thanks guys!

I drilled a 3/32" hole in the new thermostat and made sure it was at the top when I installed it. I got most of the air out running it with the cap off and feeding it coolant as necessary, then threw together the rig in the picture to take care of the rest. It's sitting idling now and self bleeding as I type this. I did make sure the fan was cycling properly, and it wasn't getting hot before I came in the house.:)
I figure since air travels to the highest point in a system, this should take care of it.
I am starting to get a little worried though as it's been running like this for quite awhile now, and it still shoots a small stream of bubbles for a few seconds shortly before it heats up enough to kick the fan on. Hopefully that's just steam...:o
Tony

overlordsshadow
05-16-2007, 11:32 AM
Oh my, shade tree and redneck to the max. I like.

Tony Hanna
05-16-2007, 11:36 AM

Sure man, I live in WV. Home of the hillbillys.:lol:
Seriously though, at least I'm getting some use out of that res. I bought it to use on an alky system I never got around to building, and then decided it was too small.

turboking
05-16-2007, 11:45 AM
Cars on iv, dont feel bad mine has been in the same spot for 3 years, part of the game!!!!!!!!!!

Tony Hanna
05-16-2007, 12:03 PM
Cars on iv

1500 cc's of ethylene glycol STAT! :lol:

jre97
05-16-2007, 12:40 PM

Oh My! You have no idea. I've known Tony for over 10 years and he personifies the shade tree redneck.:lol:

Tony Hanna
05-16-2007, 01:09 PM
Oh My! You have no idea. I've known Tony for over 10 years and he personifies the shade tree redneck.:lol:

I don't know about that, but I do know there's often more than one "right" way to do something, and doing what you can with what you've got is king.:thumb:

overlordsshadow
05-16-2007, 01:18 PM
Well I'm not puttin anyone down. I did my last engine swap outside of the garage. But I guess i've been spoiled that way as we built out garage when i was 14 and i've been able to use it since.

Tony Hanna
05-16-2007, 01:52 PM
Well I'm not puttin anyone down. I did my last engine swap outside of the garage. But I guess i've been spoiled that way as we built out garage when i was 14 and i've been able to use it since.

I've got a pretty nice garage myself, it's just so full of junk right now you couldn't drive a car in it with a wrecking ball.:o

turbovanmanČ
05-16-2007, 02:00 PM
It doesn't take much to pop a head gasket. If the old owner drove around like that then honestly, I would say that a head gasket job is in your very near future. If you plan on taking some trips with the car, I would do it now before it leaves you stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Tony Hanna
05-16-2007, 04:35 PM
It doesn't take much to pop a head gasket. If the old owner drove around like that then honestly, I would say that a head gasket job is in your very near future. If you plan on taking some trips with the car, I would do it now before it leaves you stranded in the middle of nowhere.

I'd actually planned on doing the head gasket and timing belt as preventive maintenence. I was just hoping I could put it off for awhile as there are a few other things I wanted to take care of first (rotton left front floorboard, trans swap, brakes, rod and main bearings, etc.).

JDAWG
05-16-2007, 04:40 PM
what radiator did you end up using?

Tony Hanna
05-16-2007, 04:47 PM
I ended up buying a new (Transpro/Readyrad) radiator from Advance. It's the one they list for an '87 Shelby Charger.

JDAWG
05-16-2007, 04:54 PM
ehh, so its a T1 rad? Im trying to find something so I dont have to cut. Kinda want to keep the car origional. What worst is 90 is the only year for my rad, the 88older t2's dont fit quite right.

Tony Hanna
05-16-2007, 07:27 PM
ehh, so its a T1 rad? Im trying to find something so I dont have to cut. Kinda want to keep the car origional. What worst is 90 is the only year for my rad, the 88older t2's dont fit quite right.

This wouldn't be what you want if you're keeping it original. It took some cutting, drilling and fabricating brackets to make it work.

JDAWG
05-16-2007, 08:18 PM
yea i have a t2 rad in there 89 or older, my car is a 90 tIV, ill figure something out, i had to cut the pointy things off the bottom for it to clear the hood, none of the rackets are the same, ill figure something out

GiliboY
05-17-2007, 12:44 PM
Hi, guys, i'm having heating problems in my spirit r/t, i think the radiator is not working properly I'll change it.. the thing is that I m going to El Paso TX(i live in Mexico) in the next days and i read before that Autozone sells a model to my car, but they show the same part number to the TIII and to the V6&2.2n/a, any know if it will fit in my car or if it does have the intercooler brackets? has anyone seen one of autozone's?
thanks for your time..

Tony Hanna
05-17-2007, 01:01 PM
Hi, guys, i'm having heating problems in my spirit r/t, i think the radiator is not working properly I'll change it.. the thing is that I m going to El Paso TX(i live in Mexico) in the next days and i read before that Autozone sells a model to my car, but they show the same part number to the TIII and to the V6&2.2n/a, any know if it will fit in my car or if it does have the intercooler brackets? has anyone seen one of autozone's?
thanks for your time..

Autozone's radiators are made by Transpro (Readyrad). You can look at the catalog on the transpro site and see by the deminsions listed that the radiator they sell for the TIII is wrong. So, to answer your question, no it won't fit. It's too wide to work with the stock intercooler.
If you live in Mexico, and can get the right radiator there, you would be ahead to do so. In order to get a radiator that fits properly here, a person must either buy a used one, or contact Rick Diogo at www.rdiperformance.com .
Check out this thread for what I ended up doing to get a new radiator in my R/T.
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14391
HTH,
Tony

GiliboY
05-17-2007, 01:17 PM
Autozone's radiators are made by Transpro (Readyrad). You can look at the catalog on the transpro site and see by the deminsions listed that the radiator they sell for the TIII is wrong. So, to answer your question, no it won't fit. It's too wide to work with the stock intercooler.
If you live in Mexico, and can get the right radiator there, you would be ahead to do so. In order to get a radiator that fits properly here, a person must either buy a used one, or contact Rick Diogo at www.rdiperformance.com .
Check out this thread for what I ended up doing to get a new radiator in my R/T.
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14391
HTH,
Tony

thanks, i've read the post.
i ll try to find a new one here.

Tony Hanna
05-17-2007, 01:46 PM
thanks, i've read the post.
i ll try to find a new one here.

If you can find a decent supply of them there (even good used ones), I bet you could make some money selling them here if the shipping cost isn't too high.:thumb:

GiliboY
05-17-2007, 03:27 PM
If you can find a decent supply of them there (even good used ones), I bet you could make some money selling them here if the shipping cost isn't too high.:thumb:

I'll have that in mind.. i checked with a guy that repairs radiators and he told me he could be able to get me the center part new, and use my current tanks... this for about 60 bucks..

Tony Hanna
05-17-2007, 04:31 PM
I'll have that in mind.. i checked with a guy that repairs radiators and he told me he could be able to get me the center part new, and use my current tanks... this for about 60 bucks..

That's a smokin' deal!:thumb: I think it's somewhere in the neighborhood of $250 to get one recored around here. It would actually be cheaper to buy a new radiator except that nobody makes one that fits.:banghead:

Opticon
05-17-2007, 11:32 PM
All of my heating and coolant loss problems turned out to be a head gasket leaking combustion chamber pressures into the coolant system. Just something to keep in the back of your mind if you are having that kind of trouble.

Tony Hanna
05-17-2007, 11:41 PM
All of my heating and coolant loss problems turned out to be a head gasket leaking combustion chamber pressures into the coolant system. Just something to keep in the back of your mind if you are having that kind of trouble.

I've been keeping a pretty close eye on it. The level doesn't seem to have changed any so far. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Also, no sign of a coolant/oil milkshake on the dipstick or underside of the oil cap.:)
Thanks,
Tony