PDA

View Full Version : log to 1pc, GLHS cal?

Murphy
05-15-2007, 10:43 AM
My friend is picking up a 85 charger with a 2.2l TI(log) and is planning to convert it to TII status with a 1pc intake. He wants to know what kind of computer he should run. I have a spare 86 LM(with attached map), socket, burner, chips etc. so I was thinking i would socket it and install a GLHS cal. Would that be better than just running it with a stock log computer?

On a somewhat related note, how hard is it to install a 3 bar map on an intenal MAP LM? just cut the wires off the old map and solder them to a late MAP connector?
black = black
white = green
red = white

tryingbe
05-15-2007, 10:53 AM
He can do 86 GLHS or 87 TII cal.

Clay
05-15-2007, 11:54 AM
He can do 86 GLHS or 87 TII cal.

Not plug and play. The 86 GLHS/87 GLHS LMs will plug and play if you add some wiring. The 87 TII LM requires an external MAP sensor, and moving some wires around.

Clay
05-15-2007, 11:56 AM
On a somewhat related note, how hard is it to install a 3 bar map on an intenal MAP LM? just cut the wires off the old map and solder them to a late MAP connector?
black = black
white = green
red = white

You can make up a pig tail using the old MAP pigtail and an external MAP pigtail, or you can switch to an 87 LM (not GLHS), and add the wiring for the external MAP.

Murphy
05-15-2007, 03:44 PM
i see on the dodge garage about rewiring for the TPS and AIS, is there a FAQ or something for rewiring for an external MAP?

cordes
05-15-2007, 10:23 PM
i see on the dodge garage about rewiring for the TPS and AIS, is there a FAQ or something for rewiring for an external MAP?

Yes, there is one on this site. Also, I would recommend going to 87 TII electronics due to the support for the cals which is currently available over at moparchem.com. There is no better way to go right now.

Aries_Turbo
05-16-2007, 10:44 PM
keep in mind the differences in 85/86 cause of the g-head. you have to run the 86 distributor and possibly some wiring changes for the distributor (plugs?) to use the 86 ecu.

id go the whole way and convert to 87 electronics cause it has the most support out of all the LM/PM years.

mw6886 (Matt Wright) might be able to help you with a proper cal for the G-head for the 86 year. youll just have to add the inj, the 3-bar map and the 86 distributor then. :)

Brian

Murphy
05-16-2007, 11:14 PM
he is using a swirl head so he can use a regular cal. Since its an L body, wouldn't 87 electronics still give you an internal map? or should he convert to like a shadow harness or something so he can run an external map

cordes
05-17-2007, 12:00 AM
he is using a swirl head so he can use a regular cal. Since its an L body, wouldn't 87 electronics still give you an internal map? or should he convert to like a shadow harness or something so he can run an external map

You don't need to swap harnesses to run the external map. I believe that only the 87' L-bodies used the map on the case still. You can check out the faq on this site to tell you how to do it.

TopDollar69
05-20-2007, 10:39 AM
The distributer plugs are the same between 85 and 86, however the distributers themselves are different. Im running an 85 harness in my 84 Laser that I swapped over to 87 GLHS style TII electronics. It was an easy swap, and I really like the power from the stage 2 computer.