PDA

View Full Version : Any replacement for rocker arm rollers?

86Shelby
05-13-2007, 02:29 AM
Anyone know what they can be replaced with? Even an unproven idea would be great for me to look into.

Out of 32 rockers I'm only able to come up with 10 good rockers- due to wear on the rollers. :mad:
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/rocker_arms_good_bad.jpg

turbovanmanČ
05-14-2007, 03:20 PM
I wish too. I would like to mess around as my machine shop is around the corner so I could keep an eye out for deals. The only thing I can think of is the 3.0L rocker arm.

86Shelby
05-14-2007, 06:03 PM
I seriously doubt there is a replacement rocker ARM assembly we can use. I'm after the roller and procedure to R&R them.

turbo2point2
05-14-2007, 06:32 PM
The rollers are almost identical to any 8 valve rocker. I am in the process of replacing about a dozen of mine. The roller o.d. is identical, the pin o.d. is identical, the overall width is identical. But one small difference is that 8 valve rollers have a slightly rolled edge which makes the contact pattern about .020 more narrow than a T3 roller. I don't think there will be any issues with using these. It is very simple to do as well. I can get some pics if anyone would like.

turbovanmanČ
05-14-2007, 06:48 PM
I seriously doubt there is a replacement rocker ARM assembly we can use. I'm after the roller and procedure to R&R them.

Gotcha. I was thinking the same thing, as I have a few that are messed up. Havent' got that far to trying anything yet.

86Shelby
05-16-2007, 12:17 AM
Brian- I think you're onto something with using the 8V rollers. I just got done raping an 8V rocker for the roller & shaft. The shaft from mine looks like it could be a little short though. Tough to tell, I ground the end down too much.

How are you overcoming the way the shafts are held in there without screwing up the rocker & shaft; both the 8V and 16V? Those expanded ends seem like they would be terrible to remove and not very press-friendly. My biggest concern right now is not screwing up the 16V rocker during removal.

Maybe contact Melling or Clevite to see if they might part with just the roller, needles & shaft? Then just stake the shaft in place?

Like a fat kid on a cupcake; I will be all over any pics and any other info you might have, Brian.

DOHCRT
09-04-2016, 11:05 PM
Reviving this from the dead. Has anyone got a definitive fix for this issue. I like the idea of using 8V parts, but this thread doesn't seem to have the detail needed to actually perform the surgery needed. I just pulled the rocker covers from my CSX and noticed 3 roller pins that were moved out about .080-.100. 1 of them slid back into position real easy, the other 2 wont budge.(might be because of the cam lobe position). I have quite a few spare rockers, but would like to permanently fix all of my rockers for future use.

Thanks in advance!!

iTurbo
09-05-2016, 11:37 AM
Just last night my local friend and I were working on building the TIII for his CSX and he asked me about getting aftermarket rockers. He was surprised when I told him that they aren't available at all anymore (new). Thankfully I managed to scrounge up 16 good ones for this project. I've personally had 3 camshafts have lobes get wiped out from a failed rocker. The pin 'walks' out and the roller gets -----eyed and seizes and then the cam is junk. The engine runs surprisingly well on 15 valves! I had no idea it happened until I pulled the valve covers off for something else.

If somebody were to make replacement rocker arms for the TIII, I'm sure I would buy at least two sets probably more.

DOHCRT
09-05-2016, 12:44 PM
I'm staking the pins this morning. Seems to work OK. Its interesting to note, it looks like all of the rollers seem to be contacting the cam unevenly which might explain why some of the pins are walking out.