PDA

View Full Version : 88 lebaron

edstigator
01-30-2006, 01:59 AM
hey,
i got a problem with my 88 lebaron convert. the car just had a new motor and turbo but on it (TI) it runs fine if i don't accelerate to fast. but if i want to step on it the car just chugs. this happens at any speed. its like a sevre jerking. almost like when someone is trying to learn standard and pops the clutch too fast and you wind up with whip lash lol. if anyone knows what the problem might be i would greatly appreciate it.
thanks

butchsuppe
01-30-2006, 04:07 AM
I had a simular problem like that when I installed a TPS sensor from a TBI trottle body on my turbo, turns out the TBI works opposite of the turbo. Turbo is approx 1 V at idle and goes up with trottle movement, the TBI TPS starts at 5 v and goes down with trottle movement. Did you go with a larger T/body with the new motor ? this is how I found out about the differant TPS senors. LOL

Subliminal
01-30-2006, 09:42 AM
Have you checked your timing? You can go to www.thedodgegarage.com and find out how to check both cam and ignition timing. I would start there, if I were you.

After that, I would probably check all your plugs. See if they all look good/the same. You could have bad plug wires or even plugs (even if they're brand new)

Try those two things, and then come back and let us know if you still have problems! :)

Turbodave
01-30-2006, 01:39 PM
Sounds like a fuel problem, I would check to make sure the MAP sensor is functioning properly and that you are getting proper fuel pressure. Could be a failing fuel pump or clogged fuel filter.

turbovanmanČ
01-30-2006, 03:46 PM
Any codes? As suggested, triple check your cam timing, could be tooth out on the cam. Also, with you putting a new motor, your vacuum lines could be misrouted or hooked up wrong, it happens quite easily. I would make sure the MAP sensor is getting full manifold vacuum as this could cause your problem.

edstigator
01-31-2006, 12:27 AM
i'm not getting any codes. but i have a feeling the wiring might be fubared a bit. i'm going to look into the timing and plugs on the weekend when i get some time.
as for the vacumm lines and TBI i'm not sure about because i didn't do the swap myself, but i'm going to look into that too.
thanks for the quick responses

R/T
01-31-2006, 01:56 PM
Might be going into limp in mode because of a bad vac signal to the MAP.

Check the vac lines to the MAP on the shock tower.

Tony Hanna
02-01-2006, 06:04 AM
hey,
i got a problem with my 88 lebaron convert. the car just had a new motor and turbo but on it (TI) it runs fine if i don't accelerate to fast. but if i want to step on it the car just chugs. this happens at any speed. its like a sevre jerking. almost like when someone is trying to learn standard and pops the clutch too fast and you wind up with whip lash lol. if anyone knows what the problem might be i would greatly appreciate it.
thanks

Runs fine if you don't accelerate too fast, severe jerking, wind up with whiplash...

Sounds like a classic case of overboost cutout to me. :thumb:
You have a boost gauge in the car? If so, what's it read when it starts acting up? If that's all it is, it's an easy fix. All you need to do is go over the vacuum lines between the wastegate can on the turbo and the boost control solenoid on the pass. side inner fender. I bet one of the lines is broken or disconected. Another way to fix it is to do away with the computer control and install a manual boost controler.
HTH,

GLHSKEN
02-01-2006, 07:49 AM
That should set a code 45...

Tony Hanna
02-01-2006, 08:15 AM
I've read that, but neither of my cars ever set a code from hitting cutout.
I wonder why? Is there a certain length of time it hast to stay against overboost or a certain number of times it has to hit before the code is set?

TIIGTS
02-01-2006, 11:32 PM
a couple years ago i had the same problem with my GTS. Turned out the fuel pump was goin out, replaced it, and it went away.