PDA

View Full Version : cracked intermediate shaft bearings

iangoround
05-12-2007, 07:23 PM
I pulled the engine out of my shelby z to put in my laser, and while taking the front end apart to redo the leaky seals the intermediate shaft slipped out a little, so i pulled it the rest of the way out figuring it would be easier to put back in place once i had the oil pan off and engine flipped around.

anyway, the outer bearing has a chunk missing out of it. it flaked out when i pulled the shaft out. so, how hard is it to replace one of these yourself and where do i get a replacement?

Orangetona
05-13-2007, 10:39 AM
Bump, Anyone?

slasky
05-13-2007, 12:56 PM
I think there is a special tool to take them out and put them in.

iangoround
05-13-2007, 01:09 PM
there is, c-4697-1 and -2 for the outer and c-4682-1 and -2. I have no idea where to find them however. Unless a dealership has a set and would let me borrow them for a day, I don't want to spend a load of money on tools I'll only use once.

mo' parts
05-13-2007, 01:34 PM
mine did the same thing, i had my machine shop do it for me. cost me 60$ including the bearings and a quick hone. you'll prob. spend that much or more on just the tools.

iangoround
05-22-2007, 12:50 AM
I wound up using part of a four wheel drive hub from a Ford Exploder to do it. I'll have to find it and take a picture of it. It has a smaller diameter nub sticking out of a large diameter flat plate, basically. The one I have is a bit too long to work as a installation tool by itself, but cut down a bit it would work fine. I just eyeballed putting the new bearing it, lining it up centered on the oil feed hole.

shelby zed
05-22-2007, 02:13 AM
i put the small one on the shaft, smacked it in. then did the same with the big one

mock_glh
05-22-2007, 10:55 AM
I pulled the engine out of my shelby z to put in my laser, and while taking the front end apart to redo the leaky seals the intermediate shaft slipped out a little, so i pulled it the rest of the way out figuring it would be easier to put back in place once i had the oil pan off and engine flipped around.

anyway, the outer bearing has a chunk missing out of it. it flaked out when i pulled the shaft out. so, how hard is it to replace one of these yourself and where do i get a replacement?

You can get the bearings from FWD Performance. $20 a set. You can make a tool to remove and install them with some 3/8 threaded rod and nuts, some various size washers and a short piece of pipe slightly larger than the outer bearing. :cool:

shelbypart
05-23-2007, 10:52 PM
http://www.spxmiller.com/
You can order the tools from these guys. Also make sure you order the handle for the tools. Let me know if you need the part numbers I have thier book around here somewhere.