PDA

View Full Version : 4 point seatbelts, mounting, and installation...

zshadow
01-29-2006, 09:50 PM
i plan to auto cross the daytona this year, and id like to get some 4 point harnesses to hold me in a little bit tighter than the normal seatbelts.

ive seen in some cars the harnesses are bolted to the rear bar of the rollcage, but since i dont have a cage, how do i go abouts doing such thing?

i know it can be done, just dont know how :)

inmyshadow
01-30-2006, 12:06 PM
Well what people tend to do is bolt the rear of the harness to the floor. This is a really bad idea. In a rollover, that setup would crush you.

Best thing to do is make a harness bar. Something the bolts between the two top bolts for the rear seat belts. Nobody makes one of these bars for us. It should be too hard through with some metal plate, thread tube and some heavy duty bolts.

later

zshadow
01-30-2006, 02:39 PM
Well what people tend to do is bolt the rear of the harness to the floor. This is a really bad idea. In a rollover, that setup would crush you.

Best thing to do is make a harness bar. Something the bolts between the two top bolts for the rear seat belts. Nobody makes one of these bars for us. It should be too hard through with some metal plate, thread tube and some heavy duty bolts.

later

i knew about bolting to the floor, but id like to live if the tradgic event of a crash or rollover would occur. the harness bar would have to be pretty thick steel or something right? could i make a setup like this?:

http://roclife.perception.cc/albums/integratuner/harnessbarrrrrrr.jpg

something that supports from the rear seatbelts, but is strong enough during a crash maybe... i dont know... it might have to be a once in a while thing... aka when i go autocrossing. make the bar easy to remove and then put it in at the cross track with the harnesses already attached.

csracer
01-30-2006, 07:42 PM
Check out the Schroth rallye harness, It is a DOT approved 4 point harness. It mounts to the stock lap belt locations and the rear seat anchors. I used one in my Daytona for a few years before i got a roll bar and race seats.

http://www.soloracer.com/rallye4.html