PDA

View Full Version : Looking at getting a SUV...

RJ138
05-09-2007, 01:01 PM
Only owning two Spirit R/Ts is a headache and I need to get something more reliable. Being that I am getting out of college and need to get my act together, I am looking for something that is:
-Four wheel drive (snow sucks, although we havnt had much this past few years)
-Plenty of power (I mean come on... haha)
-Comforatble (I like heated seats...)
-Some after market
-RELIABLE!!!
-Be able to tow my busted R/Ts (haha)

Here is what I have kind of narrowed it down to...

99-02 Jeep Grand Cherokee, but I am not really sure if there are any major issues with them. We had a 97 with the inline 6, which was nice but I think I want to get the V8 so I can tow my R/Ts... I really like the looks of the generation before the ones that are out now.

The other SUV I have been looking at is a Nissan Xterra, they look pretty sporty but I read they are pretty poochy. I saw that some come with a supercharger, which would be fun but would probably get me in trouble.:eyebrows: I doubt this could tow a car though.

03-06 EVO, not an SUV but I want one pretty bad...:evil:

Anyway, anyone with experience with these vehicles please voice your opinion and any pros or cons you can think of.

Thanks,
Ryan

mcsvt
05-09-2007, 01:09 PM
Hard question to answer since I am in almost the same boat...

The GC's would be a good choice. The 4.7L is a very capable motor. I would avoid the HO just because you don't gain a whole lot and you have to use premium fuel.

I would add in Durangos to the mix, also with the 4.7L or you can find 5.9L's as well.

The xterra's are kinda under powered. The SC version only adding slightly more power and the need for premium as well.

The EVO... well it's an EVO how can you resist other then you can't tow the cars with it.

Recap...
GC is a good choice, comfy, quick, not horrible on gas, no prob towing.
Durango next on list, I don't like them as much as GC's though.

Good luck :thumb:

fleckster
05-09-2007, 02:45 PM
Hey, with the Employee Discount I can get you, you could more than likely get a NEW Durango/Grand Cherokee for what you can get a couple year old used one! Let me know and I'll be happy to help you out!

RJ138
05-09-2007, 11:59 PM
Hey, with the Employee Discount I can get you, you could more than likely get a NEW Durango/Grand Cherokee for what you can get a couple year old used one! Let me know and I'll be happy to help you out!

I am looking to spend around 10k at the moment, I just need something to get me by but be nice and reliable at the same time. I am just finishing school, I'm actually take my last final tomorrow, and plan on getting a house in a little bit.

That was a good point with the premium fuel, I think I am going to really look for a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Anyone know of common things to look for?

Thanks,
Ryan

mcsvt
05-10-2007, 08:50 AM
Blend air door issue... whole dash has to come out to fix... Seems to be the most common issue to look for.

Drivetrains are fairly reliable and powerful.

DeckSetter
05-10-2007, 05:47 PM
Good choice on the Grand Cherokee. The 4.7 is a great engine.

JDAWG
05-10-2007, 07:18 PM
blend doors like gary said, put a heater core in it while its out, front window regulators, ps hose that goes to the fan (it has a hydraulic fan), dash tweeters blow easily if you jam it alot, blower motor resistor like to melt on the earlier wj's, they are pretty reliable, if you need parts the send me a pm

JDAWG
05-10-2007, 07:19 PM
oh and i would stay away from the full time 4wd models, they like to eat some gas

DeckSetter
05-10-2007, 10:41 PM
oh and i would stay away from the full time 4wd models, they like to eat some gas

I'd say that depends on how much you drive and how much you're willing to pay for gas. My Dak is full time 4x4, I get about 15mpg most of the time. I got 16.5 the last 2 tanks running premium with a Superchips programmer. Not bad for full time 4x4 and a 5000lb quad cab truck with 3.55 gears, but I think I'd probably pull 17-18 with 3.92s and a part time case (that's just a guess though).

RoadWarrior222
07-04-2007, 02:39 PM
I was amazed to see people reporting 20mpg from those Dodge Nitros. Must have accidentally had some aerodynamics sneak in somewhere. Anyhoo, they seem to have reasonable tow ratings, reasonable power, and look more reasonable on gas than anything apart from a pseudo-SUV like a Rav4 that won't even tow a popup camper.

slasky
07-04-2007, 02:45 PM
My V6 Honda powered saturn vue hauls my SC without any problems. Sean could not keep up with me towing with his V8 ram pickup. I also got 19mpg towing through the mountains with the AC on too.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1120/599763349_82ce0a6499.jpg?v=0

Frank
07-04-2007, 02:46 PM
A Bronco! ;)

BadAssPerformance
07-04-2007, 04:28 PM
...I also got 19mpg towing through the mountains with the AC on too.

How fast were you going?

BadAssPerformance
07-04-2007, 04:28 PM
A Bronco! ;)

Easy there OJ :thumb:

mcsvt
07-04-2007, 04:42 PM
I've been looking into the Nitro lately. Seems with the load distribution bars it could handle a full trailer easily. I don't doubt it would have any issues with a dolly. It seems you could get a fully loaded R/T for around 30k...

Only thing is, with Flecksters help, it's possible to get a 1500 Ram QC Hemi, LOADED for about 30k...

And then I go back to the GC with a Hemi...

Glad I'm not ready to buy for another couple months at this point. So I can sit and fester over this even more.

RoadWarrior222
07-04-2007, 05:11 PM
My V6 Honda powered saturn vue hauls my SC without any problems. Sean could not keep up with me towing with his V8 ram pickup. I also got 19mpg towing through the mountains with the AC on too.

Gotta remember that a porky TD, a heavy trailer and a few tools and spares with it is likely to see a Vue go over it's tow rating.

However, helps illustrate the folly of the thing you'll see on numerous RV forums... "FWD/V6/minivans can't tow because my even my butch and manly V8 truck overheats in the mountains...." and I always think, "Yeah dumbass, coz your V8 has a belt driven fan, and you should be in a lower gear, even if it seems like you can slog up the north face of the Eiger at 1500rpm."

slasky
07-04-2007, 10:03 PM
How fast were you going?
Between 65 and 80 most of the way.

Aries_Turbo
07-04-2007, 11:53 PM
80 at first till he called me and said "hey can we slow down a little, me vTacK-qqqqq keeps kicking in and i almost hit the rear end of your k car its so fast!!!!!" ;)

Brian

BadAssPerformance
07-05-2007, 12:08 AM
^^^ LOL.... damn