PDA

View Full Version : weird things you found out when you got your r/t

mark
05-06-2007, 08:48 PM
what are some of the weird things you found on your r/t when you got it used.. ever wonder what the previous owners were thinking/doing?

my car has had multiple po's, here are a few things ive found.

when i went to put in a solid bobble strut, there was a small hose clamp on the shock shaft of the OEM bobble strut. Last night I removed the TB to swap in a new AIS, and I thought the TB gasket looked odd... after a beer I found out what it was. it was from a t2 car and a smaller diameter, so it was blocking air flow.... There was a fan behind the OEM intercooler when I got it. There were 4 rocker panel switches that were right between the shifter and the cup holder, I rewired those and ran wires to trip relays into the engine compartment for future use...

raccoon
05-06-2007, 09:57 PM
I found some ATM recites of the previous owners who happened to work for a bank with a balance of Negative $-21,000

no crazy mods tho on any of my TD;s they were all owned by "normal" people

iTurbo
05-07-2007, 12:38 AM
Previous owner of my Spirit R/T made a heat shield for the airbox...out of an old license plate! Fits great.

Also found a broken rocker arm....but previous owner simply ground down the rough edges and reinstalled it so it was only running on 15 valves. Sheesh, way to cheap out. Also found some mexican beer bottle caps way under the carpet where they never could have fallen....maybe the assembly line workers were drinking on the job the day my R/T was built in Toluca?

Tony Hanna
05-07-2007, 02:29 AM
Mine came with no headliner, all the AC components gone, and a TI radiator with the intercooler sitting behind it in the engine compartment.
I'm trying to decide between fixing the situation with a nice front mount or trying to find the correct radiator.
Finding the parts to get the AC up and running is gonna be fun.

LowSL2
05-07-2007, 03:06 AM
I got my R/T from the original owner. He had receipts from a 76/Unocal gas station where he had all the repairs done. The head gasket was replaced less than 1000 miles before I bought the car. Looks like the mechanic at the 76 station did a half-aѕѕ job. Some bolts were missing, there was a 46mm throttle body gasket, exhaust manifold bolts were loose, front motor mount was missing bolts, head was tanked with gauge sensor installed, 4 lifters were missing the little plastic retainers, 2 lifters were missing the little 'cups' that contact the valves, rear valve cover gasket was installed incorrectly and the shift cables were twisted causing them to bind. And the trans was low on oil.

Good thing is the timing belt was replaced with an Italian Gates belt when the head gasket was replaced.

I'll probably find more stuff as I dig into everything.

86Shelby
05-07-2007, 09:13 AM
No wondering about mine. Bought it modified. Everything was done quite well.

Scottmon
05-07-2007, 10:17 AM
Bought my '91 Spirit R/T from a "mechanic".

He couldn't figure out how to get the valve covers to seal, so the engine had oil all over. Fixed that.

Said he kept having to put front motor mounts in it. Well...no wonder, he left out two front motor mount bolts! Added the missing bolts and torqued to spec.

Vacuum lines were a mess, fixed that.

He said he adjusted the shifter three times, and never could get it right. No wonder, the shifter bushings were shot! New Booger bushings fixed that.

Still has a bug in the VSS circuit and dead tach board, but will be fixed shortly.

Least I got it cheap, runs strong, and it also came with a kick --- stereo and 150 mph speedo!!!

1FastCSX289
05-07-2007, 11:14 AM
what are some of the weird things you found on your r/t when you got it used.. ever wonder what the previous owners were thinking/doing?

my car has had multiple po's, here are a few things ive found.

when i went to put in a solid bobble strut, there was a small hose clamp on the shock shaft of the OEM bobble strut. Last night I removed the TB to swap in a new AIS, and I thought the TB gasket looked odd... after a beer I found out what it was. it was from a t2 car and a smaller diameter, so it was blocking air flow.... There was a fan behind the OEM intercooler when I got it. There were 4 rocker panel switches that were right between the shifter and the cup holder, I rewired those and ran wires to trip relays into the engine compartment for future use...

Wow.....never new that about the TB! Thats probably worth a few horsepower. I saw that fan in by the IC when I had it. I figure the guy was trying to cool the IC with it. Kind of dumb.....the IC is only working as the car is MOVING.....why would you want a fan?

I think the only thing I did on that car was a fuel pump, so I take no responsibility!!:lol:

mark
05-07-2007, 12:28 PM
lol @ sean! i wonder if i will notice a diff with the tb gasket fixed, hehehehe. doubtful.