PDA

View Full Version : wtf fan (FIXED)

mark
05-06-2007, 08:24 PM
my fan isnt kicking on at all. luckilly i noticed this before the guage has ever gone more than 3/4 (pretty lucky)

anyways, here is whats going on, fan works when direct 12v applied. when I pull the coolant temp sensor on top of the thermostat housing the car stalls, but if i disconnect the fan and remove the sensor, the car stays running, and 12v is read at the fan plug. Ive replaced the fan relay.

what am I missing or overlooked

thanks

-mark

FIXED:
found a sensor i pulled off an old head a while ago, cleaned it up, and installed it and the fan kicks on now. thanks for the ideas and help!

Orangetona
05-06-2007, 08:35 PM
Maybe test continuety from the connector at the fan to the sensor. Other than that there isnt much that I can think of.

mark
05-06-2007, 08:40 PM
it could be the sensor is bad and never seeing itself heat up... i have to see if i have a spare, is that coolant temp sensor interchangeable with anything to cross reference...

Orangetona
05-06-2007, 08:43 PM
I beleive they are all the same. TBI and turbo engines.

EDIT: is this on the R/T or the charger? Im not sure on the R/T.

mark
05-06-2007, 08:49 PM
r/t ... my fan never came on last wednesday, but it was nice and cool out. once its 80+ i wont be so lucky.

Orangetona
05-06-2007, 09:06 PM
Brian did a cal or something for you right? I wonder if that has something to do with it? I know nothing about that kinda stuff so he'll probably need to answer that one.

Aries_Turbo
05-06-2007, 09:08 PM
trace the fan wiring out. If im not mistaken, there should always be 12v at the fan plug and a relay just connects it to ground to complete the circuit when called for by the SBEC. now if you had 12v potential between the two wires on the fan plug when you disconnect the temp sensor, and no potential (0ish volts) when the car is running normal (like after a restart) then the fan itself is bad.

Brian

mark
05-06-2007, 09:25 PM
messed with that, the ground is closed even when the car is off, so the relay controls the 12v wire. the fan works fine when 12v/ground applied.

oh well, i'll fiddle with it sometime this week :) lots of little things to do to it.

supercrackerbox
05-06-2007, 09:34 PM
Does the fan still kick on when you disconnect the coolant sensor? Check your #2 fuse.

turbovanmanČ
05-06-2007, 09:46 PM
Have you checked the alternator?

I don't have a wiring diagram handy but basically the relay puts 12 volts to the fan, so if you unhook the fan then disconnect the coolant sensor, you can remove the relay and check for 2 powers and 2 grounds so to speak. I'll look up the pins tomorrow. If you have 2 then hook the coolant sensor back up, one should disapear. If you only have one, do the above test to see which power your missing.

mark
05-06-2007, 09:58 PM
the fan doesnt kick, the car stalls. but if i disconnect the fan, and replace it with a VOM, it shows 12v when disc coolant sensor. I checked my fuses, and I did have jsut ONE blown, but it was for power windows/seats (#13). I dont have either power windows or seats :( since replacing that fuse i havent fired it up to get it up to temp to see if its related. I'll save that for tomorrow night..

Orangetona
05-06-2007, 10:05 PM
Toggle switch. :D

Orangetona
05-06-2007, 11:04 PM
I beleive they are all the same. TBI and turbo engines.

EDIT: is this on the R/T or the charger? Im not sure on the R/T.

That was a dumb question, I didnt even realize what section this was posted in. I saw the first topic on the index and clicked it.

Tony Hanna
05-07-2007, 10:47 AM
my fan isnt kicking on at all. luckilly i noticed this before the guage has ever gone more than 3/4 (pretty lucky)

anyways, here is whats going on, fan works when direct 12v applied. when I pull the coolant temp sensor on top of the thermostat housing the car stalls, but if i disconnect the fan and remove the sensor, the car stays running, and 12v is read at the fan plug. Ive replaced the fan relay.

what am I missing or overlooked

thanks

-mark

Almost sounds like a short or the fan motor pulling way too much current if it's loading the alternator enough to stall the engine. Have you got a spare fan you could try?

mark
05-07-2007, 12:29 PM
the only spare fan I have is an 86 t1 fan... I can wire it up and see...