PDA

View Full Version : Srt-4 smokes badly

yuenglingdrinker
05-06-2007, 07:39 PM
I recently purchased an 04 srt-4 and I'm having trouble with it. It's using a lot of oil and smoking badly out the exhaust. Smoke appears to be more black than blue. Compression test on cold engine results in #1-130, and the rest were 140, plugs were black and sooty, especially #1 and #3, #2 was the cleaner of all 4. Smokes on mild acceleration, and a LOT on hard ecceleration. Car has stage two badges, short intake hose/pipe with cone filter and cat-back exhaust. 32,000 miles on vehicle.

Keito
05-07-2007, 07:39 AM
I recently purchased an 04 srt-4 and I'm having trouble with it. It's using a lot of oil and smoking badly out the exhaust. Smoke appears to be more black than blue. Compression test on cold engine results in #1-130, and the rest were 140, plugs were black and sooty, especially #1 and #3, #2 was the cleaner of all 4. Smokes on mild acceleration, and a LOT on hard ecceleration. Car has stage two badges, short intake hose/pipe with cone filter and cat-back exhaust. 32,000 miles on vehicle.

Did you run the codes?
Turn the key on-off-on-off-on and read the codes that come up on the
odometer.
Does it have a Stage 2 kit?
You should verify all the proper sensors have been installed.
The sensor on the intake should have a sticker that says "3 Bar".

tryingbe
05-07-2007, 09:52 AM
How's the PCV system?

Dodge Aries K
05-07-2007, 10:57 AM
32,000 miles? The 3/36 warrantee should still be in effect, if not the 7/70. If you have more of the stock parts, put them back on and visit your local dealer.

TonaChris
05-07-2007, 06:53 PM
Will it smoke like that if it doesnt have a catch can or the catch can need emptied (pipes loaded up)?

yuenglingdrinker
05-07-2007, 07:17 PM
i got the car @ a nissan dealership. since i wasnt sure if it was still under factory warranty or not I took it back to the dealership where I got.i only had the 3 days. but they found out it was still under a 7/70 warranty so they sent to a dodge dealership who didnt do a damn thing to it.luckily im off on mondays so after a few messages left on voicemails and a finally a phone call w their service rep hopefully it will be taken care of. i dropped it off today again

yuenglingdrinker
05-07-2007, 07:19 PM
about the stage 2 question i didnt see any 3 bar sticker on the sensor on the intake. if anyone knows part numbers ill check them when i get it back

TonaChris
05-07-2007, 07:27 PM
about the stage 2 question i didnt see any 3 bar sticker on the sensor on the intake. if anyone knows part numbers ill check them when i get it back

It may have been stage 2 at one time, but alot of people sell that stuff off and put it back to stock before the get rid of the car.

slasky
05-07-2007, 07:43 PM
I think all states require a car dealer to offer some kind of warranty. How long ago did you buy it?

yuenglingdrinker
05-07-2007, 08:05 PM
i bought it 4/23 .dealership i bought it from offered a 30 day 1000 mile warranty and a lifetime warranty on the engine block if I get my oil changed there fyi they also give free oil changes for the life of the car . good deal as long as it gets fixed this time around

slasky
05-07-2007, 08:56 PM
i bought it 4/23 .dealership i bought it from offered a 30 day 1000 mile warranty and a lifetime warranty on the engine block if I get my oil changed there fyi they also give free oil changes for the life of the car . good deal as long as it gets fixed this time around

You should be all set then. They have to fix it no matter what it is then. Just make sure you document everything and keep all of the repair orders.

Vigo
05-09-2007, 12:08 AM
uhhh.... sounds like a coolant temp / map/maf / fpr issue.

yuenglingdrinker
05-09-2007, 04:10 PM
today they tell me its a bad turbo,kinda what i suspected, but the dodge ealership said that since it has stage 2 parts the warranty is voided. the nissan dealership said they'll fix but im gonna try to swing a stage 3 if I can.

slasky
05-10-2007, 10:52 AM
today they tell me its a bad turbo,kinda what i suspected, but the dodge ealership said that since it has stage 2 parts the warranty is voided. the nissan dealership said they'll fix but im gonna try to swing a stage 3 if I can.
Sounds about right. If the parts came on your car when you bought it then the dealer you bought it from has to cover it.

Clay
05-10-2007, 11:16 AM

the dodge dealer cant void your warranty unless they can prove the installed parts caused the problem.

Tony Hanna
05-10-2007, 01:36 PM
http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-2669.html

Some good information here regarding car mods vs. warranty and how the Magnuson-Moss warranty act ties into it.