PDA

View Full Version : Bought an FPR, how do i install it?

Xtrempickup
01-29-2006, 03:42 PM
Bought an Accufab FPR, the same one that FWD-P sells, i got it used and i dont know how to install it. I have a TIII and im looking at this thing. anybody have instructions for it, i cant find any on the web. anybody with pictures of their install? anything would help. I see the brass fitting on top, the screw in the center, the fitting with o-ring on the side and threaded hole on the base.

Tom

86Shelby
01-29-2006, 04:05 PM
The regulator should have come with a fitting that screws into the threaded hole. If it didn't, check to make sure your didn't have to order that seperately. Take your old regulator and the new one down to the hardware store and have them find you a fitting that has the same diameter hose fitting and threads into the hole, it's an NTP thread.

The O-ring goes into the fuel rail; the ears go where the stockers ear go. Watch out when tightening it down, you may need some washers to keep it form going too far into the rail. The rail could be damaged by that hex nut. The small vacum nipple is for the vacuum source. The screw with lock nut is for the pressure adjustment; in raises the pressure, out lowers it.

Here's a pic of Wallace's engine. Hope this helps. http://www.sdac.org/sdac_photo_pages/car%20show%2015/pages/DSC166202.html

Xtrempickup
01-29-2006, 04:30 PM
ok thanks a lot, i think i can do that.

Marcus86GLHS
01-31-2006, 06:22 PM
"....find you a fitting that has the same diameter hose fitting and threads into the hole, it's an NTP thread..."

if it is an accufab afpr, the return line fitting is not an NPT thread and using an NPT thread might work for a while but will risk a serious fuel leak and maybe a fire under your hood. dont do that. the female thread in the accufab unit is a straight thread, not tapered NPT.

the correct return line is an AN-style thread, a straight thread that uses a small o-ring at the base to create the seal, high pressure fuel systems (fuel injection) do not use NPT threads....you want a return line just like stock on many 2.2L fuel systems, here's a pix of the return line you want to get:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/632000-632999/632619_214_full.jpg

if you cant get a stock return line, go to autozone and you'll find a proper return line that is not NPT (pipe thread).

good luck hope this helps.

turbovanmanČ
01-31-2006, 09:46 PM
Good catch Marcus. Just reuse your existing return line fitting or use one off any GM V6 or V8 TBI engine.

One thing, it was mentioned but just want to be clear, carefully tighten the reg down while watching the o-ring going into the fuel rail. If the nut after the 0-ring starts to go into the metal, STOP. As mentioned, get a couple washers to shim it up. Mine 2 piece intake took 2 on each side.

After you install it, make sure to check your fuel pressure, leave off the vac line, hook up your fuel gauge and start it up, your looking for 55psi.

cordes
01-31-2006, 09:53 PM
Simon, approimatly how thick were the washers you used to shim it up?

turbovanmanČ
01-31-2006, 09:56 PM
I just measured the washers, they range from .044"-.051"

cordes
01-31-2006, 10:00 PM
I just measured the washers, they range from .044"-.051"

Xtrempickup
02-05-2006, 10:55 PM
thanks sounds like i know what to get now

Chris W
02-06-2006, 03:02 AM
This pic might help....

Chris-TU

turbovanmanČ
02-06-2006, 03:08 AM
^^Thats awesome Chris, :thumb:

Xtrempickup
03-22-2006, 05:01 PM
ok, I can't seem to locate a NA-threaded fitting with the little o-ring to put in this thing. The NPT does not work, found it out today looking at fittings at a hardware store. anybody got one lying around that dont need?? my car didnt have anything i could use

Xtrempickup
03-22-2006, 05:12 PM
ok, I can't seem to locate a NA-threaded fitting with the little o-ring to put in this thing. The NPT does not work, found it out today looking at fittings at a hardware store. anybody got one lying around that dont need?? my car didnt have anything i could use

Im sorry an AN thread i cant find, i dont what what size AN thread i need for it

cordes
03-22-2006, 05:13 PM
You should probably be able to pick one up at napa.

turbovanmanČ
03-22-2006, 05:17 PM
Go to the local GM wrecking yard, get the feed/return-can't remember which one, TBI fuel lines-ANY car or truck that had TBI. They have the O-ring and actually fit better than the Dodge unit, as these are GN reg's.