PDA

View Full Version : cam choice and head help

got boost
05-05-2007, 08:30 PM
I just bought a new head for my 91 daytona. I will be running a t3/t4 hybrid and ported intake with this head.

heres the head, it has heavy duty race springs, heavily ported, oversized valves (44mm intake, 38mm exhaust)

now the guy I bought the head off of said (not to take away from his credibility) to use a slider style cam and followers, not roller. (i currently have a roller) now with the oversized, he says theres different spring pressure/heights from the bigger valves, and I HAVE to get the correct rockers and theres 3-4 different shapes and the only ones that fit on the head are from forward motion. if I dont use these I have to grind the part over the vavle tip for clearance. I also need new lifters..

so my question is, is this true? will only one kind of slider fit from forward motion? should I not be using a roller cam setup? since Im doing a new good head, should I bother with an adjustable cam sproket?

thanks

turbovanmanČ
05-05-2007, 09:15 PM
I would honestly shy away from heavy duty springs, there not really needed, you just need some slightly stiffer one than stock unless your going with a wild cam.

As for cam choice, the Taft S2 and S3 are a good choice although alot like the stock 89 turbo roller, 88 roller TBI cams.

Not sure on the rocker arm thing so someone else.

As for slider cams, sure there good but I don't like them, there noisy and can wear fast, especially with strong springs. Also, if your head is a new head, you need to check it for the oil squirters under the cam caps otherwise the slider cam will go flat in a matter of days, weeks.

They look like this-

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/tech/tech_cam_tower_caps.jpg

puppet
05-06-2007, 01:25 PM
It would be good to know what camshaft (profile/lift) he designed the valve train around. Ask him.

BadFastGTC
05-07-2007, 01:32 PM
The spring should impact what cam choice you use at all, short of it being compatible with the lift of the cam. I can't figure out why someone would say such a thing as to the use of a particular slider follower. There are only so many manufacturers of these parts and the geometry has to be very similar if not exact to the factory units. There are some longer "performance" sliders that were designed to keep the rocker from falling off the valve tip. Perhaps that is what the message was.

A roller cam will work fine in the head, there is no reason to stay with the slider. Find out what the specs are for the spring and also what brand it is.

Steve M.

heres the head, it has heavy duty race springs, heavily ported, oversized valves (44mm intake, 38mm exhaust)

now the guy I bought the head off of said (not to take away from his credibility) to use a slider style cam and followers, not roller. (i currently have a roller) now with the oversized, he says theres different spring pressure/heights from the bigger valves, and I HAVE to get the correct rockers and theres 3-4 different shapes and the only ones that fit on the head are from forward motion. if I dont use these I have to grind the part over the vavle tip for clearance. I also need new lifters..

so my question is, is this true? will only one kind of slider fit from forward motion? should I not be using a roller cam setup? since Im doing a new good head, should I bother with an adjustable cam sproket?

thanks

got boost
05-07-2007, 09:17 PM
well I was thinking of just using my roller cam and rockers?...better than slider cam setup or no?

turbovanmanČ
05-07-2007, 09:45 PM
well I was thinking of just using my roller cam and rockers?...better than slider cam setup or no?

Yes, but don't use the stiff springs, use stock or the ones I sell, ;)

got boost
05-08-2007, 11:36 PM
its already got the springs installed. whats so bad about them?

turbovanmanČ
05-08-2007, 11:58 PM
its already got the springs installed. whats so bad about them?

You said there really stiff, not needed on a stock cam and depending on how stiff, you could break the roller rockers. Any idea on the specs?

got boost
05-09-2007, 09:02 PM
on the specs of the cam? it is the cam that I have already been using. Im not sure if its aftermarket, and Im pretty sure its a stock roller cam. from a 91 daytona 2.5. 782 head

turbovanmanČ
05-09-2007, 09:58 PM
NO, specs of the valve springs.

got boost
05-10-2007, 12:41 AM
Im pretty sure theyre the ones at the bottom of this page

http://www.forwardmotioninc.com/html/catalog/page9.html