PDA

View Full Version : After 19 months it runs-but...

2.216VTurbo
05-04-2007, 11:44 AM
So I have been putting in some serious late nights to get the Rampage RT to the first Thursday of the month SD/TD meeting, mostly beacuse a couple of the guys said I wouldn't make it:evil: I usually leave for our 8pm meeting about 7, around 6:30 everything is buttoned up and fluids are in the motor. IT FIRED UP FIRST CRANK!!:partywoot: This is especially exciting because the thing would never start with the key in the 8+ years I've owned it, always would bump start though so that what I've done every time for the 5K or so miles I've driven it.

Anyway, fired up but coolant is poring out over the trans. ACK, coolant temp sensor not there, the little one for the gauge:o Machine shop must have spaced it because it didn't come back with the extra bits and pieces... Screwed in another one and fired again noticing two things. 1) the oil pressure is sky high (like above 60-65 on my Autometer gauge) and the valvetrain is clattering. Figured the lifters needed time to pump up so I let it idle until the fan came on. But the clatter was getting louder if anything and coming from the rear (EX) valve cover. Shut er down and pulled that cover to find that there is NO OIL seeping from the rocker holes:( Combined with the high oil pressure it tells me something is blocking the oiling to the backside of the head.

Some head scratching ensued and then neighbor guy (who is not really a car guy) came over and I showed him the problem. He say's, "does it have anything to do with those steam holes you had welded?"

He hit the nail on the head on that one. While all the welding was being done I got a tip from another TIII owner that it's a good time to weld up that little cap/plug thingy that makes the HG weak in that back corner. So the head shop obliged my request, but they welded so deep, the oil gally to the exhuast valvetrain got welded shut too:o

So I am either pulling the head to drill out the galley (from that pesky little Allen plug on the cam gear side of the head if I can get it out!) or I'll take off the motor mounts and lfte the motor/trans up high enough with the cherry picker to do the drilling.

It will have to wait a couple weeks now though, if I get caught putting any more time into after the last few weeks of non stop wrenching on it, well, it would be bad for my sex life:whip:

iTurbo
05-04-2007, 11:51 AM
I once had a similar problem with loud valvetrain and NO oil getting to the rockers on my Spirit R/T. Turned out I had installed the rocker shafts upside down and the oil holes weren't lining up. Something to check anyway....there is a 'flat' on the sprocket side of the rocker shaft with the word 'TOP' scribed in from the factory so you know if the shafts are installed correctly.

2.216VTurbo
05-04-2007, 12:16 PM
Great tip, I called Jackson (lotashelbies) last night and he mentioned the flat spot right off too. I *think* the flat spot is up but I'll double check before I tear in any deeper than that. Would be sweet if it were that easy of a fix...

1FastCSX289
05-04-2007, 12:38 PM
Sucks dude. I know the feeling well. You spend all kinds of time working on it and youre all excited to drive it to a certain event and then something goes wrong and it *MAY* not be an easy fix. Worst feeling.

I hope you dont have to pull the head, but that probably the best way to do it. Otherwise, you would have to be real careful of metal shavings.....

86Shelby
05-04-2007, 01:36 PM
That blows. Look at the bright side; you can use the key to start it now!!!

tryingbe
05-04-2007, 02:45 PM
My GLH is still dead from Jan. I took the engine and tranny out since then. Have a new short block, new head, new turbo, etc... for it. I just need to get it tow to my place so I can start working on it.

The worst thing is though, the 120 degree weather is coming so that limits me on how long I can work on the car. :(

turbovanmanČ
05-04-2007, 04:25 PM
Thats pretty cool man, too bad about the oil thing though, :(

Got any pics?

NeonShowCar
05-04-2007, 04:43 PM
Excuses, excuses... :D

Aries_Turbo
05-04-2007, 08:11 PM
lack of oil didnt hurt anything did it?

Brian

2.216VTurbo
05-06-2007, 03:27 AM
lack of oil didnt hurt anything did it?

Brian

Guess I won't know till I tear into it. Can't do it now, I'm leaving for the Nats in a few hours, car and spares are all loaded up. I brought plenty to drink too, those TC Masi bluehairs can really put away the libations:lol: