PDA

View Full Version : TIII resources?

Tony Hanna
05-02-2007, 11:42 PM
I'm picking up my first TIII car ('91 Spirit R/T) Saturday, and was wondering if there are any sites with a good collection of information on the TIII cars. I guess what I'm looking for is something like the TIII version of Gary's site. I'd like to do some reading and learn all I can before I dive into this project.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Tony

turbovanmanČ
05-03-2007, 02:20 AM
Read this section, all the little bits have been covered and asked, :nod:

Scottmon
05-03-2007, 09:01 AM
Read this section, all the little bits have been covered and asked, :nod:

Yup, either here or TD. Might want to join the TIII email list too, it's still alive.

Tony Hanna
05-03-2007, 10:42 AM
Thanks guys.
I've looked through all 7 pages here reading the posts that seemed relevent. The thing is that most of what's going on here is by people that are familiar with the TIII cars. I'm looking for more of a newbie guide, FAQ, or a website with a list of common problems and the fixes for them.
I like to think I know quite a bit about the 8v cars but aside from anything the 16v cars have in common with them, I don't know much about the 16v.

2.216VTurbo
05-03-2007, 10:47 AM
Oh, don't worry Tony, if you pick up a TIII car you'll get an education on it quickly;)

I am excited about mine today, gonna run (I hope) after 19 Months in hibernation... If I don't drive it to our monthly SD/TD meeting tonight I'm gonna catch some serious greif about it:o Could I get a collective crossing of fingers??:D

Tony Hanna
05-03-2007, 11:09 AM
Oh, don't worry Tony, if you pick up a TIII car you'll get an education on it quickly;)
I'm trying to get a little bit of an education ahead of time. Plans are to tow the car back, but I'd be really stoked if I could get it running on the spot and drive it home. There's something electrical going on with the car. The owner daily drove it up until the winter before last when it died on him. He said it was running fine and then died like the key was shut off. He also told me that he cranked it with a plug laying on the engine and no spark. So far he's replaced the ASD, cam position sensor, and crank sensor with no effect. I was told in another thread to check the O2 sensor wires (heater +?) for a short and the related fuse links. I know on an 8v car that's the black/green wire that feeds the O2 heater, fuel injectors, ignition coil, and fuel pump from the ASD. That makes good sense to me as a potential cause, but I'm looking for other ideas to check in case it doesn't pan out. Also, I'd like to get an idea on some of the routine maintenence stuff like tensioning the timing belt, which headgasket, etc... Also, I've seen something mentioned about replacing plugs in the head with aluminum ones. Basically just newbie stuff and common faults to look for and hopefully take care of before they become a problem.:)

I am excited about mine today, gonna run (I hope) after 19 Months in hibernation... If I don't drive it to our monthly SD/TD meeting tonight I'm gonna catch some serious greif about it:o Could I get a collective crossing of fingers??:D

Good luck with it Alan! I hope everything works out for you.:nod:

turbovanmanČ
05-03-2007, 12:38 PM
I sound like a broken record, lol, but all that info you want is here, you just gotta read, lol!

I would honestly tow it home, you don't really know whats wrong with it, what he has and hasn't done. Last thing you want to do is get it runing and fubar something else driving it back or breaking down in the middle of the night.

If any TIII hardcore guys want to start a FAQ on basic TIII stuff, I'd be happy to help.

Lotashelbys
05-05-2007, 09:18 AM
If any TIII hardcore guys want to start a FAQ on basic TIII stuff, I'd be happy to help.

Do I qualify as one of these? If only I could type faster than on word per day I would type up something like that.

Tony Hanna,its too bad you werent a little closer. I would tell you to just stop on by and you could listen to me babble on for a night and you would know pretty much everything you would ever need to know for a TIII:D

jre97
05-05-2007, 08:23 PM
Well, I got it home, and here's what's going on. The ASD will latch when you turn the key just long enough for the fuel pump to prime. After that, there's no power going to the coil, fuel pump, or injectors while cranking. So, the obvious conclusion is that the computer isn't getting the reference signal it needs to keep the relay latched. On an 8 valve car, I'd be looking at the HEP and the wiring between the HEP and computer, but this is TIII. So, which sensor (cam position or crank position) does the computer need a signal from while cranking to hold the ASD relay latched?

Also, how do you test the cam and crank position sensors?

Thanks,
Tony

Edit: I'm on John's computer and forgot to log in as me.:)

turbovanmanČ
05-05-2007, 09:10 PM
Do I qualify as one of these? If only I could type faster than on word per day I would type up something like that.

Tony Hanna,its too bad you werent a little closer. I would tell you to just stop on by and you could listen to me babble on for a night and you would know pretty much everything you would ever need to know for a TIII:D

Of course you qualify, :nod:

Well, I got it home, and here's what's going on. The ASD will latch when you turn the key just long enough for the fuel pump to prime. After that, there's no power going to the coil, fuel pump, or injectors while cranking. So, the obvious conclusion is that the computer isn't getting the reference signal it needs to keep the relay latched. On an 8 valve car, I'd be looking at the HEP and the wiring between the HEP and computer, but this is TIII. So, which sensor (cam position or crank position) does the computer need a signal from while cranking to hold the ASD relay latched?

Also, how do you test the cam and crank position sensors?

Thanks,
Tony

Edit: I'm on John's computer and forgot to log in as me.:)

To check the cam and crank sensors, I use a labscope, otherwise a scanner might be quick enough time wise that you can see whats going on.

Tony Hanna
05-05-2007, 09:18 PM
Of course you qualify, :nod:

To check the cam and crank sensors, I use a labscope, otherwise a scanner might be quick enough time wise that you can see whats going on.

Ok, well assuming that someone doesn't have access to anything but a DVOM, is there any way to test them?
Thanks,
Tony

Tony Hanna
05-06-2007, 09:37 AM
Ok, I did a little research and it appears that if I probe the gray/black wire going to the crank sensor, it should alternate between .3 and 5 volts while cranking. Does this sound right? I'm getting ready to test it now and see what I get.
Thanks,
Tony

Tony Hanna
05-06-2007, 03:15 PM
That's what it was. A new crank sensor, and it backfired, started, and settled into a nice smooth idle. Not bad for a car that hasn't run since the winter before last.:thumb:
Tony

mcsvt
05-06-2007, 03:24 PM
:thumb: awesome!

roughashlar
05-09-2007, 10:34 PM
Tony,

Great job! The three places that I visit are here, td.com, and the rt mailing list (RTML) at yahoo groups.

Over the past few weeks I've been redoing the timing belt. And you thought YOU were a newbie :-). Anyways I posted a question about something on td.com and the rtml and literally before I could get it posted here as well (7 minutes) someone had already emailed me a response.

R/T people are FREAKING AWESOME!

Peace,

Eric, M:.M:.
Crow, Oregon

1992 Silver Spirit R/T -- "Johnny"
1991 Red Spirit R/T -- "Horace"
1992 Red Spirit R/T -- "Mo"
1992 White Spirit R/T -- "Dr. Z"

Looking for a White 1991 to complete the set :-)

Tony Hanna
05-09-2007, 11:16 PM
Tony,

Great job! The three places that I visit are here, td.com, and the rt mailing list (RTML) at yahoo groups.

Over the past few weeks I've been redoing the timing belt. And you thought YOU were a newbie :-). Anyways I posted a question about something on td.com and the rtml and literally before I could get it posted here as well (7 minutes) someone had already emailed me a response.

R/T people are FREAKING AWESOME!

Peace,

Eric, M:.M:.
Crow, Oregon

1992 Silver Spirit R/T -- "Johnny"
1991 Red Spirit R/T -- "Horace"
1992 Red Spirit R/T -- "Mo"
1992 White Spirit R/T -- "Dr. Z"

Looking for a White 1991 to complete the set :-)

Thanks Eric!
Here's what I ended up doing for a new crank sensor:
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14330
If you ever end up needing one, it's alot cheaper than the alternative, and an in-stock item. :thumb:
I'll be getting into the timing belt on mine as preventive maintainence soon enough.:)

2.216VTurbo
05-10-2007, 12:09 PM
Nice inginuity Tony, somehow I knew you would be good for the TIII comunity:thumb: Now want to come over and help me pull my head that just went on last week:mad: Dang oil hole to the exhaust cam...

Tony Hanna
05-10-2007, 01:07 PM
Nice inginuity Tony, somehow I knew you would be good for the TIII comunity:thumb: Now want to come over and help me pull my head that just went on last week:mad: Dang oil hole to the exhaust cam...

Thanks Alan!
If I could afford the plane ticket right now, that sounds like it would make for a nice little vacation.:thumb:
I get bored taking "normal" vacations than don't involve wrenching.:nod: