PDA

View Full Version : 2.4 blocks

rdnoel86
05-01-2007, 06:50 AM
I know theres a difference in the oiling passages in the newer (2002) and up blocks. Does anyone know if the srt block is the same as the standard production blocks of the same years?? If theres a difference....what is it? I have a srt motor that has a broken mount stud, while I think I can weld it, you just never know with welding cast how it will hold up. Looking around for srt blocks...well theres not alot out there.....so maybe a standard block? just looking at options.....thanx.....

quantum
05-01-2007, 07:32 AM
I think the only difference is the oil squirters are not on a standard block and at some point around 2004 they made a chance to the main bearings. There may be some oil and coolant holes for the turbo as well, but I can't remember for sure about those.

contraption22
05-01-2007, 09:46 AM
I beleive that all '04-up blocks are the same, but the block is not drilled for the oil squirters on N/A engines.

Speedeuphoria
05-01-2007, 02:16 PM
or the turbo oil return

SebringLX
05-01-2007, 03:27 PM
or the turbo oil return
Correct.

It also doesn't have the coolant to turbo feed in it.

Here's a picture of the back side of my NA 2.4L (an '04) that I'm putting a turbo on:
http://sebringlx.home.bresnan.net/turbo%20002.jpg

Here's a picture of the same side of the turbo 2.4L block, from Hot Rod Magazine's write-up on the engine:
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/113_0309_srt_4_z.jpg

Notice on my engine, as Speedeuphoria mentioned, the oil return is missing (you can see I had the oil pan tapped for an oil return). It may be a little hard to see, but the hole labled "Coolant to turbo" on the Hot Rod magazine picture of the 2.4L Turbo, is also missing on the NA engine, it's just a flat round bump with no hole in it on the NA block. Everything else is there.

rdnoel86
05-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Great stuff guys! Ok, a couple follow up questions...if the new na blocks don't have the oil squirters, and if memory serves, the squirters are for piston lubrication, could this be a problem long term for a turbo engine not getting enough lubrication? Also from the great side by side pics provided of the backside of the motor, I see its not a big deal to tap most of the holes, but is it possible to tap the oil return and coolant to turbo holes to use all the stock srt lines and oil cooler??...thanx...Don

Speedeuphoria
05-02-2007, 08:44 AM
the squirters are more for piston cooling than pin lubrication, you dont need them

SebringLX
05-02-2007, 10:47 AM
Great stuff guys! Ok, a couple follow up questions...if the new na blocks don't have the oil squirters, and if memory serves, the squirters are for piston lubrication, could this be a problem long term for a turbo engine not getting enough lubrication? Also from the great side by side pics provided of the backside of the motor, I see its not a big deal to tap most of the holes, but is it possible to tap the oil return and coolant to turbo holes to use all the stock srt lines and oil cooler??...thanx...Don
It kind of looks like it would be possible. I asked my mechanic that when he was getting ready to tap the oil pan for the oil return, he wasn't sure enough to give it a try. He thought it may be possible, but he didn't want to risk messing up the block trying to tap those holes.