PDA

View Full Version : 1998 Dodge Neon R/T: Fun ride??

Clay
04-30-2007, 03:21 PM
a local used car lot near my home had a new car pop up for sale...... a black 1998 Dodge Neon R/T. Its a 2 door and looks to be bone stock. Price isnt bad, at ~$2700, but could be better.

I wish it still had the Konis like the ACRs did, but oh well.

anyway, anything to know about these, or watch out for?

are the 2 doors rare?

Fun cars Im guessing? :)

Dont know if Im in the market, but its tempting to have something that gets better mileage.

Clay

TurbododgePirate
04-30-2007, 03:40 PM
a local used car lot near my home had a new car pop up for sale...... a black 1998 Dodge Neon R/T. Its a 2 door and looks to be bone stock. Price isnt bad, at ~$2700, but could be better.

are the 2 doors rare?

Dont know if Im in the market, but its tempting to have something that gets better mileage.

Clay

Buy Mine. You get a better deal. They made 2000 RT's in 98 and 2000 more in 99. They came in Red, white, blue, and black. The white are the only ones to have blue stripes, all the rest had silver. Watch out for headgaskets, and torn front motor mounts. Plus the tail lights frequently leak water into the trunk. If it has a sunroof, they are junk and break a lot. I can show you my cars history since 15,000miles, and have almost all the reciepts and records.

~~Heath

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12073&highlight=neon

contraption22
04-30-2007, 06:07 PM
They only made 2000 each year? Crap... should have kept mine. Now my brother has two '98's.

Anyway... very fun car. You won't miss the Konis unless you autocross and put some stiffer springs on it. Basically what you will have is 1995-spec ACR with some minor creature comforts.

Skibbe
04-30-2007, 07:56 PM
I drove a '99 R/T for a few years. As far as daily drivers go, it was a blast. N/A means a smooth powerband. The 150 hp DOHC motor screams, has plenty of torque, and loves the revs. With the sport R/T suspension, even though it's not Konis, they are very nimble. Takes very little effort to drive, and has enough power to make it fun.

Front Motor Mounts are easy to replace if needed, they do get trashed. If the head gasket isn't leaking now, then it should be OK. Would have been replaced with an MLS gasket by now if it was a problem. If it was a late '98 or '99 then it would have the MLS from the factory.

The only other thing you could check, and it really doesn't matter too much, is the first number of the VIN. If it's a 1, then it's a USA built R/T and has the modular clutch assembly. If it's a 3, then its a Mexico car and it has a traditional clutch and flywheel. The Mexico ones have better pedal feel, IMHO, but there no longevity issue with either.

They look good with Pizzas too!

http://cgwrr.com/Mopar/neonwithjet.jpg

GLHNSLHT2
04-30-2007, 08:50 PM
replace the motor mount anyway. I put a new FMM in my buddies 98 Sport, we took it out street racing (I drove as he didn't want a ticket) and behind a shopping center lined up against 14-15 different ricers. Basically it was a race through 1st and 2nd gear and a bit into 3rd before you had to get on the binders. We beat them all but 1 Automatic integra with Nitrous. But after that the front motor mount was torn again and maybe why we didn't beat the integra as he was our last race.

Directconnection
04-30-2007, 08:55 PM

are the 2 doors rare?

Clay

My stepfather had one. He beat the snot out of it until around 125k when it became my mother's car after the divorce. The mobile xpress lube forgot to put oil in it after an oil change at around 145k then it rattled but kept going for almost a year for her. Then she sold it and I saw it around for almost 2 years later. They are much better cars than what people admit.

I just don't like the no-torque feel of a 2.0 na motor... feels anemic but the engine isn't to blame... I was used to a modded VNT when laying into it.

TurbododgePirate
04-30-2007, 09:33 PM
I am adding pics of mine to my thread here tonight... Oh Mine has Koni's , a filled front motor mount, booger bushings... basically all the bolt on goodies. I don;t want to sell it, but the wife says I have to.

fleckster
04-30-2007, 09:51 PM
Mine is a '98 and now has 46,400 miles. It still has the original non-MLS headgasket and no problems with it either. It's not like I've babied it! :amen:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/562/medium/MVC-281F.JPG

My first NEW car!!!

The wheels are of a 2nd Gen R/T (actually a Sport Package car in 2001) and are wearing the same Eagle RS-As that were on them. (195/50-16). My '98 R/T out handles my SRT-4 and I haven't done anything to the suspension other than the wheel/tire change. The 400 less pounds is probably the differance. Mods include Iceman CAI, AFx UDP, Mopar Performance ECM, and Mopar Performance front moor mount and bobble strut. I have no problem getting 34mpg on the highway. It would be better if it had the 3.55 gears instead of the 3.94s. It runs around 4000rpm at 80mph on the highway.

Other than the cool stripes and the unique seat fabric (blue or red dashes in the seats depending on the body color), the R/Ts had the quicker (higher) gear ratio in the T-350 trans, the engine ECM was supposed to have a higher top speed shut off (since they had speed rated tires), the more performance oriented Arvin struts, and you could get 4 wheel disc brakes without having to get Anti-lock. They also had their own 14" 5 spoke wheel. They are about the lightest I have seen for a factory wheel. I guess they should be since they are only 14" x 6".

I still love my little Neon!!!! :thumb:

Best time to date: 15.67 @ 89mph

ShelbyTurbo
04-30-2007, 09:57 PM
yeah, my stock 14" wheels weigh under 15lbs apiece, If only I could get a decent set of tires in 14" that won't cost me a left nut...

Directconnection
04-30-2007, 10:27 PM
Fleck, that's identical to my stepfather's. Sunroof as well.

ShelbyTurbo
04-30-2007, 11:30 PM
+1 on the earlier comment on the sunroof... I wished mine still worked. LOL.

On a side note, its hard to justify the 250 bucks for a new motor, yet I just spent 300 on Hawk pads and drilled and slotted rotors all the way around!

fleckster
05-01-2007, 11:39 AM

On a side note, its hard to justify the 250 bucks for a new motor, yet I just spent 300 on Hawk pads and drilled and slotted rotors all the way around!

Are you sure it's the motor? The common problem is actually the cable breaking off one of the tracks. That's what happened to mine! (Yes, my sunroof broke :( ) If you go to the dealer they will quote you something like $700 as they just order a complete new assembly minus the actual glass. I was able to find the individual part numbers in a FAQ on neons.org (I can mention other forums on THIS site! :thumb: ) and just ordered the driver's side track and a new set of cables. It wasn't easy as I didn't really know what I was doing but I followed the Service Manual and took almost the entire interior out. It isn't necessary but I did it exactly like the manual said. You can just drop the front of the headliner. Anyway, I fixed mine for a grand total of $180! You might be able to afford that! Even if you car's sunroof motor is the problem (not usually the root cause), you could get a used one from a salvage yard much cheaper and put it in. I bet all the Chrysler cars motors for the sunroof are pretty universal. It's the Chrysler way! lol

Turbodave
05-01-2007, 12:42 PM
With gas at over $3 a gallon I think everyone should have a 5 speed neon of some sort. I'm loving the 30mpg + on 87 octane that mine is getting. My 95 sport coupe (SOHC-3.55geared 5spd) is not fast (mid 16's in 1/4), but handles nice enough to make driving still enjoyabe.

Dodge Aries K
05-02-2007, 03:41 AM
Agreed on having a Neon. I adore mine. No other car I have matters as much as that Neon. :)

Scottmon
05-03-2007, 10:07 AM

When my wife still had her '98 Neon Sport the sunroof broke three times!!! At least it was repaired under warranty.

Fun car (DOHC, 5 speed coupe), until some dimwitted chick ran into it and totalled it.

BIGBRUDDA
05-03-2007, 02:26 PM
I want 1!, I want 1!:p Actually I want Flecks!:amen: