PDA

View Full Version : World's Fastest Turbo Dodge Minivan???

gasketmaster
04-30-2007, 01:18 PM
I went to the race track for the first time since 2003....LOL!!!

I was trying out some Drag Radials. I had to drive it out really easy then slowly mat the throttle. It would still roast the tires at the top of low gear so my ET wasn't what I was looking for......LOL!!!

The MPH on the other hand shows some real promise :eyebrows:

http://www.blackholehunter.com/Videos/Terry/terry_12.44.wmv
http://www.blackholehunter.com/Videos/Terry/terry_12.48.wmv

A HUGE "Thank You" to Scott James for the awesome video footage and for hauling the Big White Box to the track for me :thumb:

BadAssPerformance
04-30-2007, 01:29 PM
Nice runs! :thumb:

I'd think you definitely have the DR minivan record but I thing Corby has run 12.20's with his van.

What were your 60's? that will tell how it may run on slicks?

also, what are the list of mods?

LowSL2
04-30-2007, 01:34 PM
110 mph?? Wow. If you can get that thing to hook up I'm sure you can get it into the low 12's or better. What are your mods? I'm guessing it's a 3-speed auto?

gasketmaster
04-30-2007, 01:52 PM
Nice runs! :thumb:

I'd think you definitely have the DR minivan record but I thing Corby has run 12.20's with his van.

What were your 60's? that will tell how it may run on slicks?

also, what are the list of mods?

I know Corby has the ET record still............that's why I put FASTEST in the title.....LOL!!! He went 108.9 if I recall correctly ;)

My best 60' all day was a 1.97 on the 12.44 pass :)

My mods are:

Stock shortblock (including cast pistons....LOL!!)
mildly ported G head with stock valves
89 turbo roller cam
ported exhaust manifold
two piece intake
stock throttle body
50 trim ball bearing turbo
Spearco intercooler
3" downpipe
Turbonetics external wastegate
Relentless Racing 3 bar cal
Pat's converter
reverse manual valvebody
255 hp pump
M/T 235 Drag Radials

BadAssPerformance
04-30-2007, 01:56 PM
LOL, yep, you got the mph record :thumb:

Nice 60', should do a little better with slicks, probably get closer to Corby's ET :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
04-30-2007, 03:08 PM
Wow, nice Terry. I would like to come out and play but at this rate, the van won't be done this summer, :(

Poor Corby, he ONLY went 108.9 due to lack of cylinders, :lol:

dds78910
04-30-2007, 03:38 PM
I always enjoy seeing a turbo mini eat a camaro!

Spraynlog
04-30-2007, 04:07 PM
Great JobTerry!

What track were you running on?

gasketmaster
04-30-2007, 04:29 PM
Great JobTerry!

What track were you running on?

I was at Woodburn Drag Strip :thumb:

Vigo
04-30-2007, 07:21 PM
wow... thats a really simple setup to run 110mph in a minivan. very cool

DeckSetter
04-30-2007, 07:32 PM
Wow! What's your race weight?!

1FastCSX289
04-30-2007, 07:35 PM
I love Pontiacs, but seeing you jump out after that GTO/LeMans jumped off the line was priceless. I laughed out loud! Awesome.

Directconnection
04-30-2007, 07:38 PM

I was at Woodburn Drag Strip :thumb:

Welcome back, Terry! It's always good to see the Vets still hanging out with these vehicles.

BTW... what was your 1/8th mile time and mph as well? Looked like the van really cooks at the top of 1st and 2nd.

gasketmaster
04-30-2007, 08:14 PM
I love Pontiacs, but seeing you jump out after that GTO/LeMans jumped off the line was priceless. I laughed out loud! Awesome.

He was having trouble all day ;)

gasketmaster
04-30-2007, 08:17 PM
Wow! What's your race weight?!

I'm not sure yet but I'm guessing around 3150 lbs. :)

I've been thinking about putting a light weight driver behind the wheel :eyebrows:

gasketmaster
04-30-2007, 08:29 PM
Welcome back, Terry! It's always good to see the Vets still hanging out with these vehicles.

BTW... what was your 1/8th mile time and mph as well? Looked like the van really cooks at the top of 1st and 2nd.

Thanks Steve :)

It was Shakin' & Bakin' for sure :D

Here's the time slip stats from those two passes:

Quickest

60' 1.97

1/8 7.98 @ 89.29

1/4 12.44 @ 109.06

Fastest

60' 2.02

1/8 8.05 @ 89.62

1/4 12.48 @ 110.15

You can see from the 60' numbers that I was struggling to get it to the ground :D

There's more head room on the tuneup in my opinion but it's useless to make more power at this point ;)

Directconnection
04-30-2007, 08:36 PM
No it's not.

Slicks!

BTW...how much boost?

And an opportunity for your own shamless plug... was that one of your own turbos you sell and what specs and boost were you running?:eyebrows:

gasketmaster
04-30-2007, 08:46 PM
No it's not.

Slicks!

BTW...how much boost?

And an opportunity for your own shamless plug... was that one of your own turbos you sell and what specs and boost were you running?:eyebrows:

I'm ordering slicks as we speak :eyebrows:

The boost was somewhere between the OO in the word BOOST on the guage :D

Yes........it's one of the ballbearing 50 trims hybrids ;)

BIG PSI
04-30-2007, 08:55 PM
OMG----WTG Terry

That is just awesome.

Post of some pictures of your motor----PLEASE

Your Friend
Chuck

cordes
04-30-2007, 09:08 PM
i would love to know more about you cal and any type of alky etc. What size injectors are you running?

That is awesome to run that fast in a mini with that setup. Nice work indeed.

Pat
04-30-2007, 10:24 PM
That is just ridiculous....I love it! Great job.

gasketmaster
04-30-2007, 10:40 PM
i would love to know more about you cal and any type of alky etc. What size injectors are you running?

That is awesome to run that fast in a mini with that setup. Nice work indeed.

I'm using one of Gary Donovan's 3 bar cals.........it works AWESOME :thumb:

No alky........just a steady diet of VP C-16 when I'm racing ;)

I have +40 injectors :)

turbovanmanČ
04-30-2007, 10:51 PM
The way that pulls, wicked. Mine never pulled like that, :mecry:

Actually, it did once before I leaned it out, :lol:

I wonder if we have the same cal Terry?

gasketmaster
04-30-2007, 11:42 PM
The way that pulls, wicked. Mine never pulled like that, :mecry:

Actually, it did once before I leaned it out, :lol:

I wonder if we have the same cal Terry?

I gotta say........it's a blast to drive :thumb:

I'm not sure about your cal.........mine was made for my combo several years ago ;)

gasketmaster
05-01-2007, 02:06 AM
OMG----WTG Terry

That is just awesome.

Post of some pictures of your motor----PLEASE

Your Friend
Chuck

Here ya go :)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r251/gasketmaster/miniengine.jpg

Marcus86GLHS
05-01-2007, 05:12 AM
thats one fast van nice work, and very nice engine bay detailing. white is the best color for these cars.

Bubba
05-01-2007, 07:26 AM
That's awesome!!! Great work!!

turbovanmanČ
05-01-2007, 12:27 PM
I gotta say........it's a blast to drive :thumb:

I'm not sure about your cal.........mine was made for my combo several years ago ;)

Yours would be but even with my issues, it was a blast to drive also. :partywoot:

Planning on PIR at all this year?

I have a RP cal, got it from Corby, he ran his fastest time with it, same combo as me.

gasketmaster
05-01-2007, 12:33 PM
Yours would be but even with my issues, it was a blast to drive also. :partywoot:

Planning on PIR at all this year?

I have a RP cal, got it from Corby, he ran his fastest time with it, same combo as me.

If I get tires in time and it doesn't rain......I may go to PIR this Friday :D

turbovanmanČ
05-01-2007, 01:50 PM
If I get tires in time and it doesn't rain......I may go to PIR this Friday :D

Well good luck, I won't be there obviously as my engine has no parts, :(

Take some more video please, :nod:

Jackrabbit
05-01-2007, 02:39 PM
Nice work! :)

tps25pentium
05-01-2007, 03:55 PM
holy crap dude.. awesome!!! :D

mcsvt
05-01-2007, 04:28 PM
Great job Terry.

Way to make that combination scream!

cjmr34
05-01-2007, 08:00 PM
Love the engine bay Very clean looking do you have lots of people coming up to you after you race and want to see under the hood?

gasketmaster
05-01-2007, 08:43 PM
Love the engine bay Very clean looking do you have lots of people coming up to you after you race and want to see under the hood?

Thanks!

My engine bay doesn't hold a candle to BIG PSI's stuff but it's clean to work on and very functional ;)

I had people looking under the hood all day long scratching their head as they walked away in disbelief :D

Dave
05-01-2007, 09:03 PM
Thanks!

My engine bay doesn't hold a candle to BIG PSI's stuff but it's clean to work on and very functional ;)

I had people looking under the hood all day long scratching their head as they walked away in disbelief :D

Poppa and I have the cleanest stuff around. :thumb:

Terry I gotta say that is insane how fast you got that van going with practically full weight and such little mods. I have the same setup as you (minus the DBB turbo) and then some. I can't wait to fix my cut out raiser and turn the boost past 16psi. :mad:

How many pounds do you think you were really running? 30+?

Anyways though, very inspiring and shocking to see such great numbers with such little done. Would you mind if I used those videos for a minivan compilation video?

gasketmaster
05-01-2007, 09:28 PM
Poppa and I have the cleanest stuff around. :thumb:

Terry I gotta say that is insane how fast you got that van going with practically full weight and such little mods. I have the same setup as you (minus the DBB turbo) and then some. I can't wait to fix my cut out raiser and turn the boost past 16psi. :mad:

How many pounds do you think you were really running? 30+?

Anyways though, very inspiring and shocking to see such great numbers with such little done. Would you mind if I used those videos for a minivan compilation video?

Yep.........you guys have the cleanest stuff I've seen :thumb:

Of course you can use the videos..........please send me a copy of the finished product ;)

Thanks Bryan!

gasketmaster
05-01-2007, 09:44 PM
I wanted to thank everybody for the kind words of support.........I think my Turbo Dodge fire is lit once again :)

I'm probably making this look easier than it really would be for most because I've been racing for 30 years and tuning turbocharged engines for 20 of those years........just a word of caution ;)

glhs875
05-01-2007, 10:39 PM
Awesome job!! That's a very quick anything, much less a van!! :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
05-02-2007, 03:28 AM
I wanted to thank everybody for the kind words of support.........I think my Turbo Dodge fire is lit once again :)

I'm probably making this look easier than it really would be for most because I've been racing for 30 years and tuning turbocharged engines for 20 of those years........just a word of caution ;)

Yeah, I know, thats why I am so jealous, you make it look easy when I know its not, ;)

Dave
05-02-2007, 05:01 PM
More videos?? And stop teasing us, were you maxing out a 20 or 30 psi gauge?

gasketmaster
05-02-2007, 05:13 PM
More videos?? And stop teasing us, were you maxing out a 20 or 30 psi gauge?

I'll have more video soon ;)

I don't have either one of those gauges :D

Ubmbass
05-02-2007, 08:57 PM
Seems like your 1/8th mile MPH is lacking pretty badly. You get the first half of the track figured out and that thing could dip in the 11's at that track. The reason I say that track is I looked on their website and I don't see anywhere it saying that it is an NHRA sanctioned track. When I ran a 12.8 I think it was, I ran it at a track that wasn't sanctioned and got told it didn't count.. IDK just food for thought.

Directconnection
05-02-2007, 09:38 PM
Seems like your 1/8th mile MPH is lacking pretty badly. You get the first half of the track figured out and that thing could dip in the 11's at that track. The reason I say that track is I looked on their website and I don't see anywhere it saying that it is an NHRA sanctioned track. When I ran a 12.8 I think it was, I ran it at a track that wasn't sanctioned and got told it didn't count.. IDK just food for thought.

I don't think 90mph in the 1/8th is "lacking pretty badly" at all.

When you ran your 12.2x... That was quite the redneck track, but I never heard anyone tell you "it didn't count."

Ubmbass
05-02-2007, 09:55 PM
Redneck track??????? WTF are you talking about? It is an NHRA track called Rocky Mountain Raceway.. http://www.rmrracing.com And when I ran my 12.26 I got 7.6@96mph in the 1/8th, so that's what I meant by lacking. If you look at that website, they have NHRA plastered all over it.

BTW...I still stand by my comment that 90mph in the 1/8 is VERY good and right where it should be for a 20mph gain in the last 1/8th. Especially, considering there are alot of stock parts in his setup.

But your 96mph 1/8th is quite impressive.

Where's the van now?

Directconnection
05-02-2007, 10:02 PM
Then maybe it was the 12.8 runs then? I thought it was an end of the year type thing and the only one open. Looked like a shack in the back and no real staging lanes to speak of. Unless I got your minivan video mixed up in my mind with another video I saw?

You trapped 96 in the 1/8th? What was your top end gain at...12 @ 108? Where were your last 1/8th mph going? Bad converter or turbo running out of huff?

Directconnection
05-02-2007, 10:06 PM
BTW...I still stand by my comment that 90mph in the 1/8 is VERY good and right where it should be for a 20mph gain in the last 1/8th. Especially, considering there are alot of stock parts in his setup.

But your 96mph 1/8th is quite impressive.

Where's the van now?

Ubmbass
05-02-2007, 10:22 PM
Yeah, THAT track was ghetto as ----., I never claimed any of the times I ran there for that reason. And when I ran 7.6@96 was when I blew it up and only trapped 103. I was losing rpm the whole time I was in third gear. And, You're right 89mph is pretty good in the eighth when you consider what it's in.. That POS van of mine had mid 11's in it that day if it wouldn't have scattered :(

turbovanmanČ
05-02-2007, 10:31 PM
Yeah, THAT track was ghetto as ----., I never claimed any of the times I ran there for that reason. And when I ran 7.6@96 was when I blew it up and only trapped 103. I was losing rpm the whole time I was in third gear. And, You're right 89mph is pretty good in the eighth when you consider what it's in.. That POS van of mine had mid 11's in it that day if it wouldn't have scattered :(

I know, I cried when you didn't run 11's, :mecry:

Ubmbass
05-02-2007, 10:41 PM
Oh, and the van is in my back yard right now, waiting for me to get tired of the omni and put the 16 valve back in it for old times sake LOL

turbovanmanČ
05-02-2007, 10:45 PM
Oh, and the van is in my back yard right now, waiting for me to get tired of the omni and put the 16 valve back in it for old times sake LOL

16 valve in your van?

Ubmbass
05-02-2007, 11:03 PM
yeah.. just to see what it would do..

gasketmaster
05-03-2007, 12:00 AM

I wasn't leaving with any boost......LOL!!! It would just blast the tires off the rims when I tried to leave hard.........I'm fixing that ;)

I think I have enough tune up left to possibly pick up another 4 or 5 mph with this combination :thumb:

If you go to NHRA.com and look under the track directory you'll see Woodburn listed under Division 6 ;)

It's the track where I set a NHRA National Record in Stock Eliminator with my other minivan at a NHRA Divisional race ;)

I did however ask them if they could tip the track down hill for me and supply a tail wind...............they declined :D

Ubmbass
05-03-2007, 12:22 AM
hahahah yeah.... That's good terry. the comment about downhill and tailwind LOL..:lol:

Whorse
05-03-2007, 01:05 AM
Little off beat, but seeing both of your awesome times made me curious what the best times for 5spd vans are right now.

Ondonti
05-03-2007, 04:24 PM
Corby posted a video last year of him running at some fake track called wendover but that place is just "for fun" they dont even have trap speeds.
We all joke that the track is a few hundred feet short etc + each time you get hit by a tumbleweed subtract -.1 from your ET.

RMR is a VERY real track. The fact that there are mountains in the background should just tell you where all the rich people live, not that its "country bumpkin"

RMR does suck because I lose about 17% n/a HP up here compared to sea level tracks. That is also the number for the official SAE correction up here. The poor weather here and mountains trapping pollution also screw up the corrected altitude so it ends up being 8000-11000 on many days.
At least this isnt mexico. I think there are some TDers there who run at 8000-10000 actual elevation.

Corby just indicated that there is plenty of catchup to do to match his 96mph 1/8 traps. Still seems mr Terry will easily get into the 11's with slicks, a bit more power and some aggressive driving (thanks to the slicks). I think its funny that of all the people who were talking about breaking corby's record, the guy with the most basic setup is the one actually stepping up.

turbovanmanČ
05-03-2007, 04:45 PM
I think its funny that of all the people who were talking about breaking corby's record, the guy with the most basic setup is the one actually stepping up.

As Terry has stated, he has been around longer than most of us, he knows what he's doing, its also his business. Alot of us do this for fun, IE Me, Corby, Paul Smith etc. We could interject on your 3.0L engine build, but I won't, :thumb:

glhs399
05-03-2007, 05:13 PM
Nice one Terry, good to see a turbo dodge at the track in the NW!!! Post up some times when you get your slicks!

Directconnection
05-03-2007, 06:05 PM
I think its funny that of all the people who were talking about breaking corby's record, the guy with the most basic setup is the one actually stepping up.

True! Just 2 tenths away...

Directconnection
05-03-2007, 06:06 PM
Speaking of minis... who was it that had setphane's old 8v top end in their minivan and ran 100mph in the 1/8th with it?

Ubmbass
05-03-2007, 06:14 PM
That 100+mph 1/8th was measured on a gtech and it ended up being BS.

gasketmaster
05-03-2007, 06:21 PM
As Terry has stated, he has been around longer than most of us, he knows what he's doing, its also his business. Alot of us do this for fun, IE Me, Corby, Paul Smith etc. We could interject on your 3.0L engine build, but I won't, :thumb:

Thanks Simon :)

I just do this for fun as well :thumb:

I do some tuning for friends but I've quit working on other peoples cars......it's time to focus on all my own cars :D

I did offer to help Corby tune his minivan at one time because I have worked with the FAST system a bunch :)

I'm in human services for my living........my wife and I own a foster care home ;)

BadAssPerformance
05-03-2007, 07:14 PM
I did offer to help Corby tune his minivan at one time because I have worked with the FAST system a bunch :)

I'm in human services for my living........my wife and I own a foster care home ;)

FAST kicksass :thumb:

Ahh, thats why you got the van, so those foster kids can be transported in style! ;)

turbovanmanČ
05-03-2007, 07:52 PM
Speaking of minis... who was it that had setphane's old 8v top end in their minivan and ran 100mph in the 1/8th with it?

Maybe UCKU? other than that, I can't recall any minivan owner buying that head.

Thanks Simon :)

I just do this for fun as well :thumb:

I do some tuning for friends but I've quit working on other peoples cars......it's time to focus on all my own cars :D

I thought you had a turbo/performance shop business?

Either way, your a little ahead of 99% of us, I mean you have a very fast stock Mitsu powered van also, :partywoot:

BIG PSI
05-03-2007, 08:09 PM

I went and did a SEARCH for it and found it:

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f1/f37/73042-new-mini-van-r-e-c.html

Regards
Chuck

turbovanmanČ
05-03-2007, 09:40 PM

Regards
Chuck

Unfortunealty, that doesn't count and we don't even know if that van exists.

BTW, For all the guys that said Terry's ride was simple to do, quoted from him on TD, what all us van guys say--

While I might agree with you..........it really isn't as easy to make these minivans go fast as some may think

Many will try..........and many will find out the hard way

In the end the guy that doesn't really care about what his van looks like has the clear advantage as there are no weight rules in this competition.....LOL!!

Hence...........the Sawzall

Directconnection
05-03-2007, 09:45 PM

Regards
Chuck

That Dennis posted a month back (it was in a heated thread about stephane) Maybe I can track the htread down and PM/email him.

gasketmaster
05-03-2007, 09:50 PM
Unfortunealty, that doesn't count and we don't even know if that van exists.

BTW, For all the guys that said Terry's ride was simple to do, quoted from him on TD, what all us van guys say--

Gee.........that's on old quote.......LOL!!!

I haven't cut a single piece of metal yet :eyebrows:

I don't intend to either ;)

BIG PSI
05-03-2007, 10:26 PM
I think your van is KICK A--.

I am glad you are back into it once again.

I await to hear about your next trip with video.

Chuck

turbovanmanČ
05-03-2007, 10:29 PM
Gee.........that's on old quote.......LOL!!!

I haven't cut a single piece of metal yet :eyebrows:

I don't intend to either ;)

I won't either.

I don't intend to have the fastest van but it will be quick, get way better fuel economy than an 8 valve and still retain my A/C, :D

If I get any faster than 12's, then its a bonus.

gasketmaster
05-03-2007, 10:44 PM
I think your van is KICK A--.

I am glad you are back into it once again.

I await to hear about your next trip with video.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck :)

I'll keep ya posted :nod:

Dave
05-04-2007, 02:57 AM
So Terry what weight reductions have you done? All kidding aside, you had to pushing well near 30psi, correct? I'm still trying to kick my boost up past 17psi. I just hit 19psi tonight and I felt the true power of this large turbo in a van. I can't wait to hit the track.

Ubmbass
05-04-2007, 01:08 PM
Hey Bryan, wait till you get your van on the street and mash it in 3 gear at 70 and light the tires up like your stalling up from a stop.. that's when they get scary.. On street tires, I couldn't get traction no matter how fast I was going

Ondonti
05-05-2007, 01:44 AM
As Terry has stated, he has been around longer than most of us, he knows what he's doing, its also his business. Alot of us do this for fun, IE Me, Corby, Paul Smith etc. We could interject on your 3.0L engine build, but I won't, :thumb: yeah I hope I can go 100mph in the 1/4 ;)

Also i dont understand the point of your other "simple" comments where you are standing up for terry.
Maybe you dont understand.

I could have used the term "least exotic" but what I said means the same thing unless you have a chip on your shoulder ;)
Doing the most with the least is something to be respected not "defended"

8valves
05-05-2007, 09:56 AM

I was told that was supposed to happen a long time ago, like two years ago, but never saw it materialize. Maybe I just missed it?

EDIT: just read that thread posted. That was a heck of a long time ago for nobody to ever say another word about it. I wonder if that has to do with the issues that happened at SMP?

Vigo
05-05-2007, 03:37 PM
imo, doing the most with the least boils down to actual time and money, not just the parts you do it with. if you spend 1000 hours screwing with stock parts to get the same performance you could have had with a $400 turbo or intercooler upgrade, you're not doing the most with the least.. your time just isnt worth as much as that $400. not that i wouldnt do it, and anyone who does is fine by me.

gasketmaster
05-05-2007, 04:52 PM
imo, doing the most with the least boils down to actual time and money, not just the parts you do it with. if you spend 1000 hours screwing with stock parts to get the same performance you could have had with a $400 turbo or intercooler upgrade, you're not doing the most with the least.. your time just isnt worth as much as that $400. not that i wouldnt do it, and anyone who does is fine by me.

Or.........you can have 10000 hours of experience determining what works and what doesn't on turbocharged engines.Then you can apply that to a very simple engine built of everybody else's cheap leftovers and run 110 mph in a Big White Box :D

I didn't think you were actually refering to me but I just wanted people to know that it's the whole combination that makes it work ;)

I was thinking about having a "Tear Down" party if and when this engine ventilates something so others can see what's inside for themselves :thumb:

BadAssPerformance
05-05-2007, 05:07 PM
For some reason vans run best on old junk... Paul Smith first ran 12.60's with a 148k mile motor. :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
05-05-2007, 05:49 PM
For some reason vans run best on old junk... Paul Smith first ran 12.60's with a 148k mile motor. :thumb:

My original rebuilt engine using stock stuff and mild port job, one piece intake, stock TIII turbo, crappy intercooler got me low 14's with street tires, :(

Dave
05-07-2007, 10:57 PM
Damnit, I have a rebuilt bottom end and trans. Wait I still have stock pistons. I'm good for speed!!

I was able to roast my tires from a 10mph roll all through 1st in front of all my classmates. :cool:

Vigo
05-10-2007, 10:21 PM
Terry, i was not referring to any one person with that statement. its just my opinion. i think that people running low 14s with t1 shadows with extremely basic bolt on mods is doing more with less than almost anything else represented here.

i personally accomplish nothing with large amounts of effort so im not coming down on anyone, i hold myself to the same beliefs i hold everyone else to, lol.