PDA

View Full Version : ASD relay problems.

kwiksilver
04-30-2007, 10:36 AM
working an 89 lebaron, 2.5L tubo-I car.

it cranks, but wont start. with the fuel tank lowered, I verified no power to fuel pump on the dark green/black wire, which comes from the ASD relay. with the relay un-plugged and the key on, I verified 12V on red wire (constant) and the blue/white wire (switched). I can jump power across the connector and get power back the pump, but no power with a relay plugged in. I have swapped 3 known good relays, including a new one I bought at the store and get the same results. any ideas? I am really stumped. :confused:

sdac guy
04-30-2007, 11:24 AM
working an 89 lebaron, 2.5L tubo-I car.

it cranks, but wont start. with the fuel tank lowered, I verified no power to fuel pump on the dark green/black wire, which comes from the ASD relay. with the relay un-plugged and the key on, I verified 12V on red wire (constant) and the blue/white wire (switched). I can jump power across the connector and get power back the pump, but no power with a relay plugged in. I have swapped 3 known good relays, including a new one I bought at the store and get the same results. any ideas? I am really stumped. :confused:The relay will have 12v on the winding all the time, that is why you see it on the connector with it unplugged. The SMEC supplies a ground to the relay to energize it and pass the 12v to the coil & fuel pump.

The SMEC is supposed to supply the ground to energize the ASD when the key is first turned on (prime the fuel to the injectors) but then disconnects after about a half second. Then when cranking the SMEC watches the HEP to make sure the engine is turning over and if it doesn't see the correct signals from the HEP it will turn off the ASD, and may set code 11 (depending on when the codes were cleared last).

If you buy a HEP, always buy a dealer part. The aftermarket ones that auto supply stores carry do not necessarily meet the design standards Chrysler uses and sometimes are "bad" out of the box.

Barry

kwiksilver
04-30-2007, 11:32 AM
I suspected something like that, but wasnt sure.

some one mentioned jumping battery positive to the coil to test for a faulty HEP. I tried that but still didnt get any fuel pressure.
any other suggestions to test this? or do I just need to swap the HEP unit?

kwiksilver
04-30-2007, 02:35 PM
well, I jumped power to the pump and discovered the pump itself is bad.
I am off the parts store !!!!