PDA

View Full Version : 93 n/a spirit tranny problem

Anonymous_User
04-30-2007, 06:16 AM
My niece has a '93 Spirit, 4 cyl, n/a, automatic. She has asked me to replace her transmission because it is 'slipping'. She picked up a j-yard tranny and I drove 200 miles round trip to trailer the car to my garage.

When I got it back here, I pulled it off the trailer and took it for a drive. The tranny does NOT slip, it just has a VERY lazy 2-3 shift. 1-2 is soft, but not overly excessive, 2-3 is VERY lazy. Once it shifts to 3, it stays and doesn't slip.

1.) This still a A413 in '93, right? But with lockup, most likely. ??

2.) If, after a good flush and filter change, the tranny is still acting up, is there an external line pressure adjustment or other adjustment that may be needed?

and finally

3.) Whether I save this tranny or swap it for her, the spare transmission that I will end up with.... will it have any use in a turbo application with a proper rebuild?

raccoon
04-30-2007, 11:46 AM
hows the kickdown cable on the top of the tranny? those tend to rust up.

changing 18 year old fluid can do wonders for a A413, and there are lots of adjustments, but you'll have to wait for someone else :(

turbovanmanČ
04-30-2007, 12:45 PM
2-3 shift is LAZY, royal PITA. Its also a sign of worn clutches if its excessive.

AS stated, check to make sure the kickdown cable works and adjust it properly. After you drop the pan, you can turn up the line pressure, check the FAQ's for info.

Yes, the N/A can be made a turbo, just need to change it so you can install 4 clutches and a higher stall turbo converter.

Anonymous_User
05-01-2007, 08:24 AM
2-3 shift is LAZY, royal PITA. Its also a sign of worn clutches if its excessive

Well, in that case, I better go ahead and install her j-yard tranny for her. Hopefully it won't have any problems!