PDA

View Full Version : Tire wear on '99 mini indicates ???

Anonymous_User
04-30-2007, 06:11 AM
My wifes '99 Grand Caravan

I don't drive it much, but drove it to work the other day. It's always had a slight steering wheel shimmy, but nothing to get worked up about. Now it is pulling a bit to the right. I took a look and the passenger side front tire is very worn on the inside edge of the tread.

I haven't looked closely, but a brief check by forcing the wheel this way and that did not show any movement in any direction.

Van drives like the struts are OK.

I think it sounds like a ball joint, but I'm no front end expert. So, before I begin tearing it apart and blindly replacing everything, does anyone have any pointers on what to look at first?

22mopar
04-30-2007, 02:09 PM
My wifes '99 Grand Caravan

I don't drive it much, but drove it to work the other day. It's always had a slight steering wheel shimmy, but nothing to get worked up about. Now it is pulling a bit to the right. I took a look and the passenger side front tire is very worn on the inside edge of the tread.

I haven't looked closely, but a brief check by forcing the wheel this way and that did not show any movement in any direction.

Van drives like the struts are OK.

I think it sounds like a ball joint, but I'm no front end expert. So, before I begin tearing it apart and blindly replacing everything, does anyone have any pointers on what to look at first?

sounds like it's time for you to take it to a front end shop to have a "front end expert" determine your problems.

turbovanmanČ
04-30-2007, 03:04 PM
Jack it up, put jack stands under the control arms, drop it down. Now pull the wheel side to side and top to bottom. If no movement, than start her up and check wheel runout, if ok, get some tires, alignment and call it a day.

22mopar
04-30-2007, 04:44 PM
Jack it up, put jack stands under the control arms, drop it down. Now pull the wheel side to side and top to bottom. If no movement, than start her up and check wheel runout, if ok, get some tires, alignment and call it a day.

dont forget about the infamous rusty strut tower syndrom these vans are plagued with.

turbovanmanČ
04-30-2007, 05:17 PM
dont forget about the infamous rusty strut tower syndrom these vans are plagued with.

Didn't know about that one, we don't get hard winters here, :D

Turbodave
04-30-2007, 06:12 PM
Those rusty strut towers are common on the newer minivans here in the midwest. Is there any kind of recall out there on that? Some of the vans it affects are new enough I would think it could be considered more than just routine wear.

shadow88
04-30-2007, 08:05 PM
Its not a recall. As far as I know it never will be unless, sadly, people die due to a crash as a direct result of the strut tower failure. But that's how the business rolls.

A U, The most likely "ball joint type noise" is worn sway bar links/cushions.
I agree with having it properly inspected even if you decide to do the repairs. I've seen a whole lot of good parts changed by other shops because they can't diagnose a problem and throw parts at it.

Did you do that 3/8" fuel flow test?

Anonymous_User
05-01-2007, 08:21 AM
Did you do that 3/8" fuel flow test?

It's coming! Lines are all bent and I'm ready to do the test, but I have been SO busy lately. Kids softball is starting - only three playing this year. Helping out my niece with her car problem. Dad's been in and out of the hospital... but mark my words, it will be SOON!

Rusty strut towers - never heard this. There isn't a spot of rust anywhere on this van except for just starting on the bottom edge of the hatch.

22mopar - I agree. I should probably have it checked out.

turbovanman - I'll definitely check for movement with it jacked up this weekend.

BIGBRUDDA
05-01-2007, 08:49 AM
Anonymus: Axles dude, axles.:nod: They'll shimmy some times ,or at specific speeds. My "Lady friends" van does it. I won't fix it cause it makes hers boobs jiggle.:evil: But she doesn't find that funny.:confused:

22mopar
05-01-2007, 10:18 AM
Anonymus: Axles dude, axles.:nod: They'll shimmy some times ,or at specific speeds. My "Lady friends" van does it. I won't fix it cause it makes hers boobs jiggle.:evil: But she doesn't find that funny.:confused:

so how does the axles effect tire wear?

turbovanmanČ
05-01-2007, 06:30 PM
so how does the axles effect tire wear?

It doesn't, he also said he had a shimmy in the front end, :nod:

22mopar
05-01-2007, 10:25 PM
I haven't seen a 96+ minivan yet have a CV shimmy.. seems once they go rid of them loaded springs on the inner joint, the bad wobblies haven't come in. BTW if you live in snow country like IA, the drive side axle has a tendency to break right in the middle where the rubber dampner is. along with rusted strut towers. I've had 20+ of these vans thru my lot, about 30% are showing rust... and I have 3 vans for parts that are totally junk.

CSX321
05-01-2007, 11:01 PM
A U, The most likely "ball joint type noise" is worn sway bar links/cushions.
I put new sway bar "frame" bushings in our '98 Grand Voyager a few weeks ago, and it's like a different vehicle. Even my 16-y.o. daughter noticed it and commented on how much better it felt.

Anonymous_User
05-02-2007, 05:13 AM
22 - where exactly does the rust start on the strut towers? I really don't want to find this van rusting out in the next couple years. If there is a problem area, maybe I can strip that area and coat it with undercoating or bed liner stuff to prevent it from getting bad.

Yes, this van sees Iowa weather year round, so this is something I am concerned with.

22mopar
05-02-2007, 08:48 AM
open your hood and look at your strut towers. If you need a picture of what a strut tower looks like, I can send you a pic.

On my wifes van, every time I change the oils, I spray the strut towers with wd40. 10 year old van with 250,000+ miles and the towers still look mint. Just yesterday, I picked up a 1999 van with 103,000 miles and the driverside tower is just about rusted thru.

jre97
05-02-2007, 12:36 PM
I haven't seen a 96+ minivan yet have a CV shimmy.. seems once they go rid of them loaded springs on the inner joint, the bad wobblies haven't come in. BTW if you live in snow country like IA, the drive side axle has a tendency to break right in the middle where the rubber dampner is. along with rusted strut towers. I've had 20+ of these vans thru my lot, about 30% are showing rust... and I have 3 vans for parts that are totally junk.

I just changed the pass. side axle on my mother-in-laws 97 grand voyager last thursday due to a bad inner joint and it had a bad shimmy from about 35mph-75mph. I doubt it would effect tire wear much though. That's more ball joint, control arm bushing, alignment type stuff.

22mopar
05-02-2007, 05:17 PM
I just changed the pass. side axle on my mother-in-laws 97 grand voyager last thursday due to a bad inner joint and it had a bad shimmy from about 35mph-75mph. I doubt it would effect tire wear much though. That's more ball joint, control arm bushing, alignment type stuff.

wow,that's the first time I've ever heard of a passenger side inner ever go bad... old or new minivan you just never see that. I normally find the inner driverside go bad.

Turbodave
05-02-2007, 06:10 PM
22 - where exactly does the rust start on the strut towers?

They rust right on the tops of the strut towers so it's easy to spot. I'm not sure of what causes it, but the location makes me wonder if it has to do with how water drains off the windshield/cowl.

TurboRon25
05-02-2007, 06:25 PM
I've heard about the drains being the problem, but I know there are drain tubes inboard of the strut towers, so I don't think that is it. I know about the drain tubes because I broke one (DOH!) on our 97 GCV from Arizona. I was taking the wiper stuff off so I could put about 7 coats of clear on my minty fresh strut towers. Now that the weather is nicer, I'll get the hose out and try to figure out what is going on.
We are selling our 2000 CVan because it is a shorty and the gnarly strut towers.

Ron

Anonymous_User
05-02-2007, 07:23 PM
They rust right on the tops of the strut towers so it's easy to spot

Wow! Right on top, huh? Sounds like a weird spot to have rust problems.

If you need a picture of what a strut tower looks like, I can send you a pic

22 you crack me up. I honestly thought you would say to look above the tire or on the inside by the frame rail or some ----. I never imagined they had a rust problem right on top of the tower.

Well, since I plan on getting a couple more years out of this van, I'll try and get a good cleaning and waxing on the strut towers this summer FWIW.