PDA

View Full Version : Highly ported lower is done!!

glhs875
04-29-2007, 06:55 AM
I'm calling my lower intake done for now. Alot of measuring, math & work went into it. Based on the port area of the pinch points (smallest area of ports), it should have the capabilty to flow well over 200 cfm, and is tuned as far as port area goes, to around 7200 rpm for a 2.2! Although it doesn't look like it in the pictures, the pinch point is now at the injector boss area instead of well behind it (futher up in the runner) like it was before this round of work. I'm sure it couldn't flow anywhere near that amount before this round of port work, even with it already being ported. I also kept bolting the intake to the head I'm using to correct intake port to head port alignment. The pictures don't really do it justice! I'm looking forward to trying it out, and I'm expecting a 30 to 50 WHP gain. Maybe I won't disappointed!

BIG PSI
04-29-2007, 07:06 AM
The port job looks real nice. WTG

I just looked up WOODVILLE and after I did I realize that you live real close to my parents. They live in Muscle Shoals. I may be heading that way soon, as my step mom in the Huntsville Hospital in Intensive Care.

But back on subject. If I do come down I would like to see your car if that would be ok with you.

Regards
Chuck Green

glhs875
04-29-2007, 07:10 AM
The port job looks real nice. WTG

I just looked up WOODVILLE and after I did I realize that you live real close to my parents. They live in Muscle Shoals. I may be heading that way soon, as my step mom in the Huntsville Hospital in Intensive Care.

But back on subject. If I do come down I would like to see your car if that would be ok with you.

Regards
Chuck Green

My wife works at Huntsville hospital, She is an RN. What's your step moms name? I'll can have my wife check on her. Sure, get in touch! My car is in a mess right now, but you can come and hang out anyway! (phone# 256-587-6093).

87csx2.4
04-29-2007, 10:00 AM
Looking good brian,I believe you'll get that street tire record this year.:thumb:

glhs875
04-29-2007, 05:15 PM
Looking good brian,I believe you'll get that street tire record this year.:thumb:

That's the plan!! And hopefully I will have some boost to spare when I do get it!

cj011
04-29-2007, 06:11 PM
What type of mathamatical equations did you use? I am dying to learn about the effects of port volue, shape, etc...

GLHS592
04-29-2007, 10:14 PM
What are you doing for the upper intake?

glhs875
04-29-2007, 10:51 PM
What are you doing for the upper intake?

For right now the upper runners have been ported all the way into the plenum in a way that continues the taper of the runners from the lower. And it has been opened up for a 52mmTB. So far a 52mm TB is proven to be large enough for 2.2 and 7200 to 7500rpm. I will experiment with custom uppers down the road.

glhs875
04-29-2007, 11:02 PM
What type of mathamatical equations did you use? I am dying to learn about the effects of port volue, shape, etc...

They come from what cross sectional is needed to perform well to a certain rpm for a certain sized cylinder, that keeps the max speed of the air at 300 ft per sec at that peak rpm in which it is sized for. And also from calculators that give the max cfm that is capable of a certain port area at that speed of air movement also. Stock sized ports of the 2 piece intake happen to be in the 5600 to 5800rpm tuned area for a 2.2. The port work I have done on both the head and intake to have things tuned for 7200 to 7500rpm for a 2.2, would be tuned for a lower rpm level on a 2.5. I've already been spinning my engine to the rpm levels stated, and it had good power. I've been looking for ways to make more HP at that peak rpm level, and I'm finding out that as stock, nothing as far as ports go are desigined for 7000+ rpm on an 8V.

Vigo
04-30-2007, 12:06 AM
surprise surprise eh?

you're the only one i know of doing the legwork to optimize an 8v for 7500, more power to you as you dare to be different :)

you mention the rpm range the port 'area' of a 2-piece is tuned for on a 2.2.. id be curious to see the numbers for 2.5 and one piece also, if anyone feels like volunteering some brain cells, lol.

Gaboon
05-03-2007, 01:00 AM
have it flowed yet?

Curious to know.

glhs875
05-03-2007, 06:59 AM
have it flowed yet?

Curious to know.

I'm curious also, but I'm not going to, at least right now. There's not a flow bench around here. I'll know for sure if the port work pays off when I get the engine back together and running. It will most likely be a month or two or even longer before my car is running again though. I still have a ton of work to do to it (fab external wastegate, rebuild trans, brakes, and who knows what else it will need). Eventually I want to get both the head and intake flowed. I know where things are at port area wise, but not in actual flow. I do know that I increased the pinch point area of the runners from around 1.45 sq" to around 1.9 sq". That puts things in line with the port entry of my ported head. My purpose for porting the lower runners (after I found out how small the ports really were) is to hopefully make the engines powerband continue to grow in HP all the way to 7200rpm instead of just leveling off after 6500rpm or so and holding basically the same HP to 7200rpm. My ET and MPH was virtually identical, shifting @ 6400rpm which put me in high gear in the 1/8th, vs. leaving the trans. in 2nd gear and going through the traps at 7000+rpm before. So I know I'm getting close to my goal.