PDA

View Full Version : Putting a Deposit on This Tomorrow (Omni)

Whorse
04-28-2007, 11:08 PM
Not a turbo, but I do need to replace my carb'd GLH, and this one could be a turbo so easily...

Whorse
04-28-2007, 11:09 PM
Few more pictures, mostly of the interior. Only the one little tear that I saw.

Birddog
04-28-2007, 11:16 PM
Nice find!:thumb:

turbovanmanČ
04-28-2007, 11:18 PM
Holy crap dude, trying to beat me for the title of most cars in the Lower Mainland, :eyebrows:

Whorse
04-28-2007, 11:23 PM
Gold car is going and this will take its place. 5 speed conversion down the road.

sexygomer
04-28-2007, 11:34 PM
dangit, i've been looking for one of those, only a five speed. nice though:thumb:

Garret
04-28-2007, 11:57 PM
I'd leave it auto when I'd turbo it if I was you. Have fun making the tank work though try and get a turbo L-body tank to use

Whorse
04-29-2007, 12:27 AM
Turbo project will wait for a while. Needs to get me to work first.

Mopar_Nutz
04-29-2007, 11:54 AM
All it needs is blacked out chrome, a little rust grinding and some minor bodywork, and maybe some GLH GFX and it'll look pretty sharp. Oh, and maybe some pizza's or something ;)

mcsvt
04-29-2007, 12:13 PM
all I can say is p.i.m.p.!

Whorse
04-29-2007, 01:07 PM
Maybe I can throw my 14" steelies from the old caravan on it and take the pizzas I have. Eggies might look nice on it. I'd need to convert it to 5 bolt hubs, which I have from a 90 van, just a bit of work for down the road.

butchsuppe
04-29-2007, 11:27 PM
Thats a nice find, how much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking ?

Whorse
04-29-2007, 11:28 PM
200 bucks. Put 50 bucks down on it today. Needs a rad but I have a new daytona rad to throw in. After that need to pass emissions and then I'm driving it.

Mopar_Nutz
04-29-2007, 11:34 PM
Let me know if you need parts. There's about 6-7 Omni's in PnP up here.

Whorse
04-29-2007, 11:46 PM
Yeah I need the motor and transmission, as well as all GFX, numbered plaque, suspension, wheel and seats from an 86 GLHS.

Whorse
05-08-2007, 12:16 AM
Well the car is home. Haven't posted much about it after the GLH fiasco, but here it goes:

The rad had a leak, but not too bad, and I limped it home about 30km. Popped out the old rad, and put in a Daytona rad I had (no cutting, just zap straps). I put a brass fitting into the bleeder plug on the top of the cylinder head for the return from the heater core (this doesn't work, just to seal the cooling system), and ran an external tranny cooler, since the one in the radiator I put in leaked.

Threw in a 5 blade fan from a lebaron since it's all I had, and jumpered the old coolant sensor.

As it stands, I haven't drilled or changed anything on the car permanently. It's 282 bucks with an account for a new omni rad, so I'm going to see what it will cost to get the old one recored, and use the stock rad and transmission cooler.

This car only has 74,000KM on it! It still has the original white walled Michelin tires on it. The radio looks great, the vanity mirror had never been opened. I couldn't believe how clean it really was until I drove it. I feel SO bad having to drive this to work right now. If it wasn't just a bare bones omni, I'd almost consider putting it away as a collector because it is actually THAT nice. Little bit of body damage on the passenger rear fender, and missing a door handle but I have a replacement.

One small tear in the rear seat which I may look into fixing, and that's about it. Anyhow, comments welcome. This is my new car for now. It's gutless and not pretty, but I like it.

Is it worth keeping it totally stock?

Mopar_Nutz
05-09-2007, 02:20 PM
I say just drive it and be nice to it. Only I'd leave that rad and stuff in it if it's working. Why spend the money on a recore? Drive it, maintain it, and spend the money and mods on the Lebaron and van. And sell the other Lebaron if you're driving the Omni.

K go...

Whorse
05-09-2007, 02:24 PM
I'd recore it because with the current rad I don't have any heat, and the fan runs full time because it doesn't have the coolant temp sensor in the rad.

Clay
05-09-2007, 02:41 PM
what year is the new car?

Clay
05-09-2007, 02:45 PM
what year is the new car?

Nevermind, just looked in your sig.

Like someone said, you need a new tank, but you can buy a new EFI/Turbo tank for ~$100.

Whorse
05-09-2007, 04:03 PM
Why do I need a new tank?

tryingbe
05-09-2007, 05:08 PM
$300 beater..

The interior looks to worth that alone... Good find.

Whorse
05-09-2007, 11:32 PM
I am kind of sad to say this car has received a lot more attention with friends and co-workers than any car I've had except for maybe the Buick. The interior is SO comfortable compared to the GLH, and it actually has working heat now! I would be very tempted to convert it to 5 speed and add AC and a stereo.

That said, the car is so stock and in such nice shape I just don't know if I can bring myself to do it.

What does everyone think? Is there any reason for me to leave this car completely stock? Am I making a mistake by installing a stereo, and maybe doing a few other things to it like convert to 5 lug wheels?

Garret
05-10-2007, 12:18 AM
Plain and simple if you don't want it to break, don't ---- with it. Leave it alone Jason. Everyone who is giving you advice has been down the path you are thinking of going and know what happens. Just leave it the way it is

Whorse
05-10-2007, 12:31 AM
I was thinking less along the lines of performance mods, and more about comfort things. I don't see how a plain jane 84 Omni could hold any value whatsoever, but if putting in a CD player somehow hurts the car, I might tough out the AM/FM that doesn't show the correct time.

Clay
05-10-2007, 08:40 AM
Why do I need a new tank?

If you were to convert it to a turbo setup. the EFI/Turbo tanks are a bit different because of the intank pump. I think the main differnce is a baffle in the bottom of the tank to keep from starving the pump.

Clay
05-10-2007, 08:42 AM
like you said, plain jane 84 Omni......... not ever going to be worth much, so do what you want. A stereo, properly installed should never do any damage to a car, so you can always remove that.

Whorse
05-10-2007, 09:41 AM
Ah I see. Turbo wasn't in the plans so I thought you meant some other kind of tank that I wasn't aware of.

Mopar_Nutz
05-10-2007, 10:40 AM
Yeah I'd say if you want a small stereo, go for it. But for 5 speed conversions, I'd wait until the automatic craps out. I'm sure it's got plenty of life left in it though considering the power it pushes. I wouldn't bother with 5 bolt conversions either. I'm sure you can find a set of 4 bolt pizza's somewhere if you want prettier rims. Cosmetics are always easy to play with, but I just wouldn't spend too much money on it. You have other cars/projects that could use that money more.

You have my disease it seems. You fall in love with the car you're driving, and the side projects never get the attention you promise them when you park them. Sometimes you need to accept that the car you're driving is ugly and/or slow, and put the money where it needs to go :)

Mopar_Nutz
05-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Oh yeah. And adding A/C = more $$$ than you'd ever get back out of the car. Get one of them fans that clips on your visor. hahaha

Whorse
05-10-2007, 03:44 PM
Well as it is now, the tires don't handle well, and the car is a bit gutless. It has one little bug to figure out, which is a really high idle in park sometimes. I don't know why it's so high, but I have to put it into drive and it slams into gear and wants to lurch. Sometimes it just goes away, and blipping the throttle doesn't fix it.

As for things like a stereo, if I'm going to drive it to work, I want to listen to CDs, not Brother Jake every morning.

The orignal tires handle like crap on it and it'd be nice to have something that handles better. As it stands, I've yet to put any money into the car except nfor the insurance and 23 dollars at Air Care, so I'm doing alright that way.