PDA

View Full Version : Autocross with a Daytona Shelby

Gearjamer
04-28-2007, 07:19 AM
Has anyone here ever autocrossed a Daytona? I did my first Autocross event with my '85 Mustang GT. It's fairly modified. I just did time only runs. My expected classification would be C prepaired (CP). I was told this class might be to competitive for a beginner and starting in one of the stock classes might be better. My '89 Daytona Shelby T1 is bone stock and falls in the GS class. It seems alot of cars fall in the GS class. Cars that seem to be far better for autocross then the Daytona. So I wanted to see if anyone had experience autocrossing with one.

Thanks,
Bill

Frank
04-28-2007, 10:51 AM
Your best bet is to freshen up stock things like bushings, etc. Then race with slicks if you are doing GS. After a season, get serious with suspension and swaybars and run GSP. Of course with GSP, you will need to sneak in some power modifiers.

Frank

Gearjamer
04-28-2007, 11:52 AM
Even with good driving I don't think a Daytona can be competative. One of the better performing cars in the class is a damn Honda CRX SI. I was reading up on the last generation and they had double wish bone suspension at all 4 corners plus 130hp motor and only weight 2100lbs. My Daytona has an auto trans as well. I think if I get into Solo I'm going to need to trade off the Daytona for something else just because of the chassis limitations. I want to stay in stock or close to stock classes. If I have to do heavy mods to be competative then I'll just use the Mustang.

speeddemon
05-02-2007, 08:59 AM
Bill,

Take the time to practice your driving instead of worrying about winning your first few times out. I agree that a Daytona will not be competitive in GS, but use it to learn about car set-up, what tire pressures do, and other techniques that will make you a faster driver. Race against yourself at first.

Just a suggestion.

Craig

Dusty_Duster
05-02-2007, 09:23 AM
My P-body handles amazingly well for autocross.

...But I've upgraded just about every part of the suspension.

Vigo
05-02-2007, 08:40 PM
gs is impossible nowadays. i raced in h-stock with my dynasty, a very empty class by comparison, and won the class at nearly every event. i also paxed in the upper 25% (we're talking stock dynasty here) many times.

unfortunately, since your car is actually IN the books (lol they guessed for mine) itd be hard to pull that off.

its a lot of fun, go for it and post back!

Aries_Turbo
05-12-2007, 10:38 AM
put a custom cal in the car (2-bar stock injectors) that limits the rpm based boost and puts the boost at ~12psi. it will appear 100% stock. :) the car will have much more torque to pull out of the corners. lock the trans in 1.

Brian

BF/STOCKER SPIRIT
05-12-2007, 01:28 PM
Hello???? Call Johnny At Polybushings.com (503)869-6156 ,he's A Dodge Fwd Handling Speicalist,he Does It For A Living!!!!!! Haha And Hes In Oregon/washington Jammer

Darkapollo
05-13-2007, 10:52 AM
I plan to auto x my shelby. there are plenty of ways to keep them 'stock' and make them more competitive.

BadAssPerformance
05-13-2007, 11:22 AM
Hello???? Call Johnny At Polybushings.com (503)869-6156 ,he's A Dodge Fwd Handling Speicalist,he Does It For A Living!!!!!! Haha And Hes In Oregon/washington Jammer

+1 !!!!

ShelbyZD
05-17-2007, 09:12 PM
Seems to me loosing some weight would help quite a bit.. not to mention Eibach springs/Koni's/polybushings front/rear strut bars.. maybe a rear floor bar? Check to see wether the bar inside your rear axle is solid or hollow.. .. rear axle swaybar + front upgraded sway bar... just throwing out some ideas.

Don't know if you can use fiberglass.. but you can get lots of fiberglass parts here: http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/site.htm

ssheen
05-21-2007, 03:51 PM
CSRacer auto crosses his Daytona. He was on the boards, have not seen him lately. His site is here. http://www.csracer.com/